The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6201 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:16 PM

Victoria Buzz is claiming the speed of the truck was 140kmh....I doubt that very much. I watched the video several times and would estimate prob closer to 60-70kmh

#6202 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:39 AM

Because the incident involved police and caused significant injuries, the Independent Investigations Office has been notified. The IIO is a civilian organization tasked with investigating situations involving police officers in B.C. that result in death or serious injury. The watchdog works to determine whether police took -- or failed to take -- any actions that caused harm.

Security footage sent to CTV News Vancouver Island shows drivers and cyclists passing through a green light when another vehicle drives right into the intersection. Just moments before the crash, a bicyclist approaches to cross the intersection and is just narrowly missed as vehicles get thrown in every direction. People can be seen frantically running from the scene.

https://vancouverisl...crash-1.4563685

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 August 2019 - 03:39 AM.

#6203 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:43 AM

The search for two Saanich Peninsula residents has resulted in a tragic discovery.

36-year-old Easha Rayel and 23-year-old James Evans were last seen August 9th.

The vehicle the pair were travelling in together, a blue 2002 BMW 325i, was spotted in Vernon last week.

Sidney / North Saanich RCMP said that vehicle was located today (August 24th), with two deceased people inside the car from an apparent motor vehicle incident. They did not say where the vehicle was located.

While positive identification of the individuals has not yet been fully completed, family has been updated.

Police said there is no evidence of criminal behavior in this incident and they will not be making further comment.

https://www.victoria...mc5KJXLclq6GM7M

typical.  police have no interest in the public interest.  two people dead in the same undiscovered car crash?  a car with airbags.  unless it went into water it's hard to imagine both dying or at least both dying quickly.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 August 2019 - 03:46 AM.

#6204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 04:07 AM

estimate prob closer to 60-70kmh

i think you are accurate.  whatever it was it was a criminal irresponsibility entering that intersection like that.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 August 2019 - 04:08 AM.

#6205 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

Victoria Buzz is claiming the speed of the truck was 140kmh....I doubt that very much. I watched the video several times and would estimate prob closer to 60-70kmh

Are you estimating 60-70 based on the speed of the truck as it enters the intersection or the resulting damage?  

My bet is closer to 82kph.  :)  Of course we'll probably never know as the local constabulary will simply peg the cause as 'speed and alcohol' and offer no further comment.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:42 AM

i'm basing it on the speed.  flipping that one car over and over though took some kind of talent.

#6207 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:44 AM

The investigation has been turned over, so the way I read the statement VicPD’s jurisdiction is no more. Is that right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

i think they still deal with the offending driver.  the new investigation now turns on the police whether what they did (the chase) lead to injuries.

i think it's always a tough call about calling off a chase.  i don't like the idea of bad guys getting away by doing risky moves that leads to chases being called off.  that seems too easy for the car thief or impaired driver.  but it's been proven that the chase can cause innocents' deaths and injuries.

#6209 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

Need to start equipping cops with permanent paintball markers. They do that somewhere I read about.
  • Redd42 likes this

#6210 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

The search for two Saanich Peninsula residents has resulted in a tragic discovery.

36-year-old Easha Rayel and 23-year-old James Evans were last seen August 9th.

The vehicle the pair were travelling in together, a blue 2002 BMW 325i, was spotted in Vernon last week.

Sidney / North Saanich RCMP said that vehicle was located today (August 24th), with two deceased people inside the car from an apparent motor vehicle incident. They did not say where the vehicle was located.

While positive identification of the individuals has not yet been fully completed, family has been updated.

Police said there is no evidence of criminal behavior in this incident and they will not be making further comment.

https://www.victoria...mc5KJXLclq6GM7M

typical.  police have no interest in the public interest.  two people dead in the same undiscovered car crash?  a car with airbags.  unless it went into water it's hard to imagine both dying or at least both dying quickly.

word is coming in they were found crashed off pay bay highway.  even stanger.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 August 2019 - 05:28 PM.

#6211 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:26 PM

^ There are prominent skid marks from the right hand northbound lane into the bushes before the highway bends toward the ferry. I guess it's an area where a car could get hidden from view.

#6212 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:34 PM

I think they found the car near here.

IMG_0176.PNG

#6213 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:44 AM

Flowers now mark the scene where police and emergency crews recovered a dark blue 2002 BMW 325Ci that had gone over the side of the Pat Bay Highway near Parkland Secondary School.

Two bodies believed to be the missing pair were discovered inside the vehicle but Sidney/North Saanich RCMP would not confirm their identities.

https://www.cheknews...ey-pair-598723/

August 24 traffic was being detoured on the stretch of the highway, later that evening friends gathered at a pub to mourn Reyal and Evans.

The father of a young man who -- along with his girlfriend -- was reported missing earlier this month says the couple didn't actually disappear. Instead, they crashed on Pat Bay Highway and were killed, and the wreck was not found for weeks.

Speaking to CTV News Vancouver Island at the scene of the crash on Sunday, Alastair Evans remembered his 23-year-old son James as "a good kid."

James and Easha Rayel, 36, were last seen on Aug. 9, according to Sidney-North Saanich RCMP. Police issued a news release on Aug. 12 saying that the couple had gone missing and asking the public for help locating them. The release said the couple may have been travelling to the Lower Mainland, and a sighting was later reported in Vernon, in the B.C. Interior.

https://vancouverisl...firms-1.4564352

guy was 23 and his girlfriend was 36.  everything about this case is strange.

"They were pretty closed-lipped on it," he said of the conversation with RCMP. "They were pretty upset. I don't think they are too impressed that they drive by it every day and, you know, it took them two weeks to figure it out."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2019 - 03:47 AM.

#6214 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:50 AM

^ There are prominent skid marks from the right hand northbound lane into the bushes before the highway bends toward the ferry. I guess it's an area where a car could get hidden from view.

ya the skid mark is impossible to miss in this video:

https://www.cheknews...ey-pair-598723/

somewhere in here

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2019 - 03:51 AM.

#6215 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:02 AM

Location was here, right after the rock face and the '800m until Exit 31' sign (which you can see the back of in the Chek video):

location.jpg

#6216 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

The vehicle was a sports car. Do we have any information as to the possible speed of the vehicle during the collision?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6217 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

I'm thinking a deer jumped out. That could cause a dramatic loss of control on a straight stretch.

#6218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

or a mechanical situation. but did nobody at all want to investigate that skid mark?

because the chances of them both dying in the crash if there were both wearing seatbelts is slim. but a combination of injuries and lack of water would have them dead within 3 or 4 days.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2019 - 08:49 AM.

#6219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

A dog walker’s chance discovery of a vehicle hidden in dense foliage off the Patricia Bay Highway brings an end to the search for two missing people.

Rayel and Evans were last seen on Aug. 9. On Aug. 12, RCMP said the two had been “out of contact for a duration of time that is concerning and out of character.” They were believed to be travelling in a blue BMW 325Ci.

https://www.timescol...hway-1.23926707

#6220 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:35 PM

The pair were officially missing for a number of weeks, and despite a reported sighting of his brother’s blue BMW in Vernon the week of Aug. 12, Evans now believes James and Easha died the same day they were last seen.

He was horrified to realize he had driven past the crash site – where his brother and Rayel’s bodies may have remained undiscovered for weeks – a number of times since Aug. 9, the day they were last seen on the Saanich Peninsula.

“I visited his crash site last night. It’s unfortunate because I work beside the ferry terminal as well and I’ve driven by it numerous times since the day it happened,” Evans said.

He said his brother was last seen on Aug. 9 around 8 p.m. by some friends at a Chevron gas station in Sidney. Evans logged into his brother’s Facebook account and saw that his last message had been sent at 11 p.m. that night. He believes he may have picked up Rayel shortly after and was heading north towards his mother’s house, which was near the ferry terminal, when the accident occurred.

The dark blue BMW was travelling northbound on Highway 17 when it veered off the highway just north of McDonald Road, and plunged down a deep ravine. Sidney North Saanich RCMP said the vehicle was obscured by thick, natural brush. They believe the bodies to be that of Rayel and Evans.

Now in the hands of BC Coroner Service, RCMP said they can’t comment on how long the vehicle was there. That does little to comfort Evans, who believes police efforts were wasted on what he says was a false sighting in Vernon.

“It’s just horrible that the police tried focusing their efforts and power in Vernon on this false statement but could have done a better job focusing in Sidney, closer to home.”

https://www.goldstre...were-misplaced/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 August 2019 - 05:36 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users