The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7137 replies to this topic

#6281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:41 AM

How does this happen at a crosswalk? You don’t walk out until traffic stops for you. Could this be a case of jutting out into traffic prematurely?

Earlier this week a vehicle struck a deer in front of my home and police had to dispatch the animal. We were out there as the poor thing was struggling after the collision. It was awful.

The driver took off shortly after the incident but before police arrived, but when it comes to animal strikes police said there’s nothing they can do if a driver leaves the scene. The reason police were called was because there was a concern by Conservation the deer could get back up and run crazily through the neighbourbood in shock. That’s not a good thing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6282 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:01 AM

How does this happen at a crosswalk? You don’t walk out until traffic stops for you. Could this be a case of jutting out into traffic prematurely?

or car came flying around the corner off Layton (or even Byron) while they were crossing

#6283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

Hmm, that is unlikely but I guess it’s possible. You have a clear view of the crosswalk from Layton and you’d definitely need to slow right down if not fully stop at Byron before proceeding.

Also, go kill a dog, you’re likely going faster than you could be by turning onto Foul Bay from either of those roads just feet from the crosswalk.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6284 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

How does this happen at a crosswalk?

Most people who are hit are hit in crosswalks

#6285 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

Yes, I understand that. But we’re not being told how this happened.

I think we can agree that many collisions with pedestrians in a crosswalk are wholly preventable by the pedestrian, ie they entered when it was impossible for a vehicle to stop, they entered without looking, or they assumed the vehicle approaching would stop for them.
  • FogPub likes this

Know it all.

#6286 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,302 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:18 AM

I think we can agree that many collisions with pedestrians in a crosswalk are wholly preventable by the pedestrian, ie they entered when it was impossible for a vehicle to stop, they entered without looking, or they assumed the vehicle approaching would stop for them.

i'd agree it's most.  except maybe on very wide streets.  it's pretty tough to get caught out there unless you are not very mobile (elderly etc.) if you are careful about not leaving the curb until all is safe.  altogether too many people venture out when they are at first a very safe distance from an approaching car but before they have ascertained that that car driver has indeed seen them and is slowing for a stop.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 October 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#6287 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:54 PM

https://www.vicnews....ion-in-oak-bay/

pedestrian collision?  two or more people walking collided?  and a dog died?

it's in oak bay but vicpd is investigating?

she took a day of work to console her 20-year-old daughter who's been hysterical and wailing since the incident?  why are "hysterical" and "wailing" in quotes?

Why is she wailing and hysterical/ Upset OK, pissed off OK, but wailing and hysterical. Get a grip, life happens.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6288 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:51 AM

I will say that’s essentially a “mid block” crosswalk and those can be more difficult for unfamiliar drivers to be aware of. all the more reason why pedestrians have to be careful when using.

#6289 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

Geez, some of you guys are pretty ruthless. Blame the pedestrian because they were hit legally crossing the road in a marked crosswalk. It’s not the drivers fault because they didn’t stop because clearly all drivers are of higher intelligence than pedestrians and couldn’t possibly make a mistake at a pedestrian crossing!

I can’t count the times that as a pedestrian I have nearly been hit by some idiot driver because they just aren’t paying attention, despite my looking twice and standing at the edge of the street waiting for them to stop. I bet you a good 30% of drivers don’t even know it’s a legal requirement to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. Based on my anecdotal walking evidence, that’s the amount that won’t stop for you even if you start waving your hands frantically trying to get their attention.

And LJ, pretty obvious you don’t have much human emotion. Feel bad for ya, for sure. Condolences to this woman...a pet to most is a member of their family. I’d be wailing and hysterical too if that happened to either of my pups.
  • tedward and Cats4Hire like this

#6290 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

not one of us suggested the legal fault lies with anyone but the driver.  at least some of us think it's almost inconceivable to be hit at a crosswalk if you are very careful. 

even you admit you've never been hit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 07:53 AM.

#6291 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:04 AM

Why is she wailing and hysterical/ Upset OK, pissed off OK, but wailing and hysterical. Get a grip, life happens.

Says the guy who's never experienced something like that. Good Lord.

• GaryRanson, shoeflack and Cats4Hire like this

#6292 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:04 AM

Rights of way between vehicle and pedestrian

179   (1) Subject to section 180, the driver of a vehicle must yield the right of way to a pedestrian where traffic control signals are not in place or not in operation when the pedestrian is crossing the highway in a crosswalk and the pedestrian is on the half of the highway on which the vehicle is travelling, or is approaching so closely from the other half of the highway that he or she is in danger.

(2) A pedestrian must not leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close it is impracticable for the driver to yield the right of way.

(3) If a vehicle is slowing down or stopped at a crosswalk or at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the highway, the driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear must not overtake and pass the vehicle that is slowing down or stopped.

(4) A pedestrian, cyclist or the driver of a motor vehicle must obey the instructions of an adult school crossing guard and of a school student acting as a member of a traffic patrol where the guards or students are
(a) provided under the School Act,
(b) authorized by the chief of police of the municipality as defined in section 36 (1), or
© if located on treaty lands, authorized by the chief of the police force responsible for policing the treaty lands.

Crossing at other than crosswalk

180   When a pedestrian is crossing a highway at a point not in a crosswalk, the pedestrian must yield the right of way to a vehicle.

http://www.bclaws.ca...8_05#section179

#6293 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

I was almost hit at a marked crosswalk on the way to work a couple of weeks ago. I saw the car coming, assumed the driver would see me but stopped walking across the street when it appeared that the approaching car wasn't slowing down at all. Standing there in the middle of the road, I had an excellent view of the driver looking into his lap as his tires rolled by within a couple of feet of the toes of my shoes. 

I was pissed, but not surprised. The worst part is that this crosswalk is heavily utilized by kids on schooldays who have to cross the street to get to a designated schoolbus stop. Would they be as observant in this situation as I was? Or just walk out with their little friends laughing and just being kids while some fool with a cellphone addiction smears their little bodies down the street?

#6294 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,166 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

I can’t count the times that as a pedestrian I have nearly been hit by some idiot driver because they just aren’t paying attention, despite my looking twice and standing at the edge of the street waiting for them to stop. I bet you a good 30% of drivers don’t even know it’s a legal requirement to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. Based on my anecdotal walking evidence, that’s the amount that won’t stop for you even if you start waving your hands frantically trying to get their attention.

Neither can I, but that doesn't stop me from understanding that my safety is in my hands, not somebody else's.

A couple of weeks back I was nearly hit by a vehicle on Johnson Street and talked about it on live radio only moments later, so believe me, I get it. But luckily I was paying attention and realized what was happening before the vehicle had a chance to hit me.

Now, on the flip side, as a driver I have also witnessed many instances where pedestrians put themselves in danger by not ensuring that I would be able to stop for them safely or ensured drivers saw/expected them to enter the crosswalk.

This is literally a two-way street here. And it's totally preventable if both parties are aware of each other.

Know it all.

#6295 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:17 AM

I was almost hit yesterday crossing Quadra at Pandora. The driver of an airport shuttle bus seemed to be oblivious to the fact that I was in a clearly marked crosswalk with the "little white figure" showing on the crossing signal. Fortunately, he was making a slow left turn and I was well aware of him, so no harm done. Once I was safely on the other side I looked back to see if there was anything that might have prevented the driver from seeing me (like the sun in his eyes), but I couldn't detect any obstructions. 

#6296 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:18 AM

I was almost hit at a marked crosswalk on the way to work a couple of weeks ago. I saw the car coming, assumed the driver would see me but stopped walking across the street when it appeared that the approaching car wasn't slowing down at all. Standing there in the middle of the road, I had an excellent view of the driver looking into his lap as his tires rolled by within a couple of feet of the toes of my shoes. 

not trying to be provocative here at all. 

but why did you step off the curb before you were sure that car was slowing and/or had made eye contact?  that's the correct way to cross at crosswalks.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 08:19 AM.

#6297 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

This is literally a two-way street here. And it's totally preventable if both parties are aware of each other.

i go further.  i think it's almost totally preventable if just the pedestrian takes care.  no matter what the driver does.

#6298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

I was almost hit yesterday crossing Quadra at Pandora. The driver of an airport shuttle bus seemed to be oblivious to the fact that I was in a clearly marked crosswalk with the "little white figure" showing on the crossing signal. 

not trying to be provocative here.  but why were you in a crosswalk while you knew about a shuttle bus that was not aware of you?  why not stay on the curb until you've dealt with it (it has passed you or stopped)?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 08:22 AM.

#6299 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:23 AM

We've all witnessed incidents where a car stops, the pedestrian begins to cross and a second car blows through the crosswalk.

• shoeflack likes this

#6300 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,302 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

We've all witnessed incidents where a car stops, the pedestrian begins to cross and a second car blows through the crosswalk.

agree.  but you can use that first stopped car as shield if you know what i mean.  i don't think it's fair to say "i was almost hit" when you weren't really at all close to being hit.  you might have been "almost hit" only if you proceeded in some type of reckless manner into the path of that next lane's vehicles. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 08:28 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), phx, Facebook (1)