Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6321 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

Editor and publisher Dave Obee on Wednesday's protest targeting the Times Colonist on Wednesday:

As I write this, the sidewalk in front of the Times Colonist building is the scene of a protest, or perhaps street theatre. Some people are here to complain about this newspaper and others are here to defend it.

We appreciate our supporters, who came to our building knowing they would face certain harassment. Thanks.

The complainers — the ones who called the protest — have a grab bag of issues with us, but they did not do their homework. Honest research would have saved them a lot of bother.

We publish more stories, columns and letters on climate change than any other Canadian daily newspaper. So far this year, we have published about 900 items, 40 per cent more than you would find in larger newspapers such as the Vancouver Sun or the Ottawa Citizen.

We publish regular columns from writers calling for immediate action, people such as David Suzuki and Dr. Trevor Hancock. We published an op-ed from Elizabeth May, on behalf of the Green Party, as part of the series from party leaders.

But facts do not fit the agenda of the people outside our building, so they ignore them, and spew lies and hatred instead.

More

Edited by Rob Randall, 14 November 2019 - 03:59 PM.

• todd likes this

#6322 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:05 PM

Tree down heading north before Goldstream Park on the TCH.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

A guy in my class passed it on the way in. He said three trees were down, one had struck a vehicle. I’m not sure how accurate that info is as he passed the scene moments after it happened at speed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6324 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

Ah, isn't it wonderful to have only one road going anywhere here? Every trip away from home is an adventure waiting to happen!

#suffocatingsouthislandliving

#6325 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,858 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:29 AM

Last month a woman watched as her dog was run over and killed by a hit-and-run driver while she was crossing on a painted crosswalk on Foul Bay Road (the driver hit and injured her too). This week, the driver Tenessa Nikirk who took Leila Bui’s conscience life away, is in court for her actions on Ash Road in Saanich in 2017 while allegedly speeding up to 90km/h and possibly texting when she struck Bui.

https://www.vicnews....ked-crosswalks/

"conscience life"?   :confused:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2019 - 07:30 AM.

#6326 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:31 AM

"conscience life"? :confused:

she's still legally alive but not conscious of anything happening

Although Google says it means "living a deliberate and thought out life". While that's obviously not possible for her anymore I have my doubts she was doing that before or would be now if she hadn't been hit.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 30 November 2019 - 07:38 AM.

#6327 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:48 PM

Someone has driven into Kuku's on Tillicum

#6328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

Kuku's introduces new drive-thru service for holiday season.

#6329 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:11 PM

Not quite a drive-thru.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6330 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:14 PM

It's not finished yet.  ;)

#6331 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:35 PM

Easy on the jokes please, my in-laws own and operate it...
  • rjag, Matt R., Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#6332 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

Hopefully no one was seriously hurt, that's the most important thing.

#6333 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

That sux, sorry to hear what happened. 

#6334 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:10 PM

Really sorry to hear this - when I heard about it, I was really sad for the business owner.  I hope that they are treated fairly by insurance and will be able to recuperate their losses.

#6335 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,858 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:24 PM

Really sorry to hear this - when I heard about it, I was really sad for the business owner.  I hope that they are treated fairly by insurance and will be able to recuperate their losses.

if you have ever met randy you will know he's one of the coolest guys out there and so positive and has many many friends.  and he'll be fine.  he would not have it any other way.

#6336 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,858 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:08 PM

Police say they have identified two drivers involved in a "wild crash" on a Toronto stretch of the province's busiest highway that was captured on dashcam video and posted online. 

The video shows a large truck pushing a car sideways down the highway and onto the shoulder as traffic hums by. Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Kerry Schmidt confirmed that the incident happened on Monday.

"When you see the video, it is absolutely shocking," Schmidt said.

Investigators were able to get in touch with both drivers on Tuesday, he added.

video:  https://www.cbc.ca/n...video-1.5427413

it's a bit hard to believe this truck driver did not know what was going on.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 January 2020 - 07:09 PM.

#6337 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

Water main rupture close to downtown, affecting Blanshard between Hillside and Caledonia, and Bay between Quadra and Douglas. Detours in effect, no word on timeline for reopening. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...toria-1.5429136

#6338 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

Water main rupture close to downtown, affecting Blanshard between Hillside and Caledonia, and Bay between Quadra and Douglas. Detours in effect, no word on timeline for reopening. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...toria-1.5429136

BC Transit put the 10 back on regular routing at 9:10 so I assume Bay is open at the very least https://twitter.com/...856903268618240

#6339 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,675 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:53 AM

Water main rupture close to downtown, affecting Blanshard between Hillside and Caledonia, and Bay between Quadra and Douglas...

Is or was water covering all of these areas at some point?

snip1.PNG

snip2.PNG

#6340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:04 AM

Quick, somebody blame the developers of The Wade.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users