The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6341 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

No idea, but I assume the location of the issue is near the Blanshard/Bay intersection. Police are detouring southbound traffic at Hillside, and northbound traffic at Caledonia, as those are the best options for intercepting traffic (as opposed to Kings and Pembroke/Dowler)

Edited by Jackerbie, 16 January 2020 - 10:09 AM.

#6342 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,831 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

what exactly was this driver doing?

https://vancouverisl...gford-1.4777663

she really angled into the attempted pass.  it looks like more than just losing control.  there was a bad move here.  the whiter vehicle coming this was did an excellent job of getting out of the inside lane.  but just a 1/4 second sooner and they would not have had the option and somebody would have likely been very hurt. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2020 - 07:02 PM.

#6343 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

^ I wonder why the dashcam vehicle was in the left lane?  Obviously not passing if the SUV could move up on the right.  Is the speed limit there below 80kmh?  Or were they preparing for a left-hand turn?

Not trying to apportion or reapportion any blame here, it just stood out when I first saw the video.

#6344 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:32 PM

It’s 80 there.

But it’s an area where many drivers start to slow down as two lanes turn into one and the speed drops to 60. The vehicle in the left lane was slowing down or not intending to pass the vehicle in the right lane to make their merge easier. But the woman in the right lane had no time for that.

I’d have to assume she had bald tires to lose traction like that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6345 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:48 PM

Humpback Rd and Hwy 14 is about 1.3km from the point where the two lanes merge into one (via Google Maps distance measurement).  No one is slowing down from 80 to 60 with over a kilometre to go.  The fact that most drivers aren't slowing down to 60 anyway notwithstanding.

Interesting theory though.

EDIT: I forgot that the keep right to pass rule is regardless of actual speed.  If some dick is rocketing up to you at 240km/h in an 80 or better zone you must move right.  So even if people are slowing down to the target speed with more that a kilometre to go, they still need to stay right if there is a vehicle behind them.

Again, not saying the SUV driver was right by any stretch of the imagination, just wondering if this wouldn't have happened if the dashcam vehicle had followed the MVA, assuming* they weren't.

* Therefore making an ass out of U and I.  Ta da!

Edited by DustMagnet, 25 January 2020 - 08:59 PM.

#6346 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:05 PM

This didn’t happen at Humpback Road, it happened where the lanes merge into one and the speed limit lowers to 60 from 80: https://goo.gl/maps/xubrwuD7jM5Wq2Pz6

That’s where drivers start to ease off the gas even in the fast lane to let vehicles in the slow lane merge safely. The driver who lost control was impatient and quite frankly, lacking in foresight. She tried to muscle through a merge situation and nearly paid for it with her life and nearly killed or severely injured innocent people.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6347 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:09 PM

She tried to muscle through a merge situation and nearly paid for it with her life and nearly killed or severely injured innocent people.

Dashcam video shot by Chris Secord shows a mid-size SUV pass him on the right near Humpback Road Tuesday morning at around 8:15.

Yeah, what a total b***h

of an article.

#6348 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:54 AM

i really can't see how any blame can be assigned to the camera car.

#6349 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:50 AM

Technically it is “near” Humpback (1KM away), but it’s not “at” Humpback. The car in the left just eased off the pedal to let the vehicles on the right merge. That’s what happens there, and it happens at both ends of the highway when the lanes flow into one.

Know it all.

#6350 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,831 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:55 AM

it still appears the at-fault driver took a very aggressive left stab that started the whole spinning thing.  like maybe they suddenly realized they were too close and closing in on the car in front of them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 January 2020 - 07:57 AM.

#6351 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

I see vehicles driving 100-120 on that four lane stretch only to end up at the lights at West Shore Parkway. It’s totally reckless and unnecessary to be so impatient when the road design often leads you to wait at the next light, and merge into single lane traffic that you have no control over. So, so stupid.

Know it all.

#6352 LJ

LJ
  • 12,723 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

EDIT: I forgot that the keep right to pass rule is regardless of actual speed.  If some dick is rocketing up to you at 240km/h in an 80 or better zone you must move right.  So even if people are slowing down to the target speed with more that a kilometre to go, they still need to stay right if there is a vehicle behind them.

I thought the keep right except to pass was only on highways with an 80k limit or more, no?

In the US it is 65mph or more.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6353 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

It is.

The threshold is 80km/h.

Know it all.

#6354 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

I thought the keep right except to pass was only on highways with an 80k limit or more, no?

In the US it is 65mph or more.

True.  That's what I was referring to as an "80 or better zone".

There's a few other limitations (imminent left turn, debris in right lane, traffic flowing at 50km/r or less, aka congestion).

• Bernard likes this

#6355 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:30 PM

There was a crash at Douglas/Saanich. Flaggers were there (and actually doing a decent job) but where the vehicles were it was impossible for more than one direction to move at a time

#6356 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

About 50 Wet’suwet’en sympathy protesters have shut down the JSB.   The Bay St. Bridge is predictably congested.

#6357 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:59 PM

About 50 Wet’suwet’en sympathy protesters have shut down the JSB.   The Bay St. Bridge is predictably congested.

Bring out the scoops!

https://www.youtube....h?v=-wa4U6TQlNI

• Nparker likes this

#6358 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,663 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

About 50 Wet’suwet’en sympathy protesters have shut down the JSB...

Ergo, there should be 50 arrests by now.

• Love the rock likes this

#6359 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

Ergo, there should be 50 arrests by now.

Not in this town!

30 years ago those arrests would already be history, but today the current Council will be providing the protestors with hot coffee, doughnuts, and complimentary bus passes to get back home once the protest is over.

#6360 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:06 AM

I don't know if this has anything to do with the protest, but the city crews are out this morning spending considerable time power washing the center of the bridge.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users