• Please log in to reply
7137 replies to this topic

#6721 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,309 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 06:28 PM

#17 PM route has a stop there - https://bctransit.co...erview?route=17

though the stop is only on the north side of the street and wouldn't require crossing Cedar Hill X Rd.  to get to Merriman Dr.

Right, but that is only a school route, not running at 9:45pm.  #17 only has two runs per day, one morning, one afternoon.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 December 2021 - 06:29 PM.

#6722 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:47 PM

Only the T-C photo caption claims he had just got off the bus, it's not mentioned in the article. Unless he was actually seen getting off the bus or on the phone at the time I think it's an error.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#6723 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:57 PM

Was the vehicle that hit him proceeding straight through or making a turn?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6724 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 05:11 AM

Teenager struck at crosswalk ‘was friend to everyone’

Times Colonist - 12 Dec 2021

kaydence.png
Kaydence Bourque, 16, who died after he was struck by a vehicle at a Saanich crosswalk on Monday.

Kaydence Bourque, the 16-year-old who died after being hit by a vehicle in a crosswalk, was a natural leader who was creative, outgoing and always “radiating positive energy,” said the principal of Reynolds Secondary School, where Kaydence was a student.

“Kaydence was always very willing and enthusiastic about taking part in any way he could,” said Aaron Norris.

Kaydence was in Grade 11 at Reynolds, a popular student with natural humour who played saxophone in the school band and aspired to earn scholarships to post-secondary schools.

“He was a smart and inquisitive person with a powerful sense of self,” said Norris. “He was a friend to everyone in class and his quick wit would keep everyone on their toes.

#6725 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 05:12 AM

Kaydence was hit by a vehicle on Monday evening on Cedar Hill Cross Road, just metres from his home on Merriman Drive, after working a shift at the Market on Yates, where he had bagged groceries and stocked shelves for two years. He would often bring groceries and snacks home for the family.

https://www.timescol...al-says-4855913

#6726 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:43 AM

Limit speeds to 40K at all marked crosswalks regardless of pedestrian activity. That's the same rule we use at school zones.

#6727 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 07:55 AM

Limit speeds to 40K at all marked crosswalks regardless of pedestrian activity. That's the same rule we use at school zones.

This is a narrow road, and the crosswalk has a pedestrian-controlled warning light system.

Not sure you can get safer than that.  Most cars will slow when they see the flashing ambers.

Any chance this boy was on a skateboard and either coming down the hills of Cedar Hill X Rd. or Jennifer?  We don't know if this was a "standard" crossing situation.  Maybe the impact just happened to occur near the crosswalk but wasn't him walking across the road there perpendicular and using the marked crossing.

I now if I was 16 and needing to cross a street I know real well, on a fairly low-traffic evening, I'm not pushing the button and waiting for the lights etc.  That's the way the squares do it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2021 - 08:00 AM.

• sebberry likes this

#6728 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:21 AM

Lots of social media chatter intimating the road is too wide.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6729 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:28 AM

Too wide?  That's super narrow at the crosswalk there.  Only enough room for 7 of the marking strips.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2021 - 08:29 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#6730 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:32 AM

What does that even mean? Too wide for what? 

#6731 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:37 AM

Too wide to get out of trouble if you find yourself in the middle with cars bearing down, I assume.  Hardly the case here.

Like I say, if I'm and energetic exuberant 16 year-old, I'm not always approaching this crossing like a 65-year-old might.

Sometimes accidents are just a 1 in 10,000 thing, which is probably the case here.

Let me show you my route if I was 16 and on a bike with some momentum off Jennifer (I know he was not on a bike, but you get the idea):

I'd probably be hands off the handlebars each time I swerve into the oncoming lane to check traffic on CHXR too.  Too many adults not thinking like a 16-y.o. on social media.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 December 2021 - 08:43 AM.

#6732 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:42 AM

Too wide to get out of trouble if you find yourself in the middle with cars bearing down, I assume...

It seems to me, the wider the road, the more room you have to get out of the way of oncoming traffic - or it has to get out of your way.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6733 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 December 2021 - 08:59 AM

Its pretty disgusting and morbid to see Mayoral Candidate Murdoch and the bike lobby using this tragedy to further their agendas.

Of course they are making all sorts of outlandish claims about how dangerous this road and particular crosswalk is. Yes it could use some improvements but its not a high speed road whatsoever. I'm intimately familiar with that intersection as I live nearby and use it several times a day plus when I worked for Handidart many years ago it was a frequent stop usually at peak times. 

The road redesign further towards Shelbourne has caused traffic to back up all the way to Merriman on many occasions which creates frustration and risk taking by all road users. I expect it to get worse as that stretch of Shelbourne goes under construction over the next year. In the evening when this happened the weather conditions were poor and visibility would be at its worst. I am waiting to hear the results of the Police investigation. This was a tragic freak incident and is definitively worth a review of that stretch of road but it isnt a race track by any means. 

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#6734 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 09:01 AM

Its pretty disgusting and morbid to see mayoral candidate Murdoch and the bike lobby using this tragedy to further their agendas....

Has there ever been a tragedy too grim that some politician or lobby group wouldn't exploit it for personal gain?

• sebberry likes this

#6735 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 09:17 AM

We’re also seeing a lot of people who denied criminality in downtown Victoria/City of Victoria or excused it away as fear mongering, now talking about how dangerous Saanich roads are. Everything is so political in our region, it’s crazy.
  • rjag, sebberry, Barrrister and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6736 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2021 - 03:26 PM

Too wide for the idea of personal vehicle ownership…
  • Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6737 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 03:41 PM

Too wide for the idea of personal vehicle ownership…

With so much space, perhaps the District can build some state-owned, "missing middle" townhouses here and rent them out at only a minor monthly loss to taxpayers. Come on Saanich lead the way!

#6738 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 05:32 AM

An impaired-driving investigation was started after a truck came to rest on some posts outside a gas station in Port Alberni. RCMP were notified of the incident on Johnson Road about 2 p.m. Sunday. A Port Alberni man faces a court date. No one was injured. 

https://www.timescol...station-4885129

"some posts".  Good grief.  They are the tank vent pipes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 December 2021 - 05:41 AM.

#6739 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 06:17 AM

Keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a slightly used monster truck.
  • Nparker, Matt R., todd and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#6740 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 04:31 PM

Not blaming the victim here but how can you be so absolutely oblivious to a car coming through the red light here?  Completely preventable.

A young woman crossing the street at the intersection of Bay and Blanshard Thursday morning was struck and sent flying by a Mini Countryman car that drove through a red light.

Dashcam footage provided by a witness shows the silver or grey Mini striking the woman as she crossed the street in a crosswalk with a green light just after 9 a.m., then speeding off. The driver narrowly missed a white Tesla as it sped north along Blanshard Street.

VIDEO:   https://www.timescol...r-flees-4911562

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 December 2021 - 04:33 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

pontcanna