The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6781 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 02:39 PM

A pedestrian was struck earlier today by a semi-truck along the Pat Bay Highway near the Swartz Bay ferry terminal.

The accident resulted in the pedestrian succumbing to injuries at the scene of the crash.

https://www.cheknews...erminal-948145/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 January 2022 - 02:39 PM.

#6782 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 January 2022 - 03:45 PM

A pedestrian was struck earlier today by a semi-truck along the Pat Bay Highway near the Swartz Bay ferry terminal.

The accident resulted in the pedestrian succumbing to injuries at the scene of the crash.

https://www.cheknews...erminal-948145/

I was there about an hour after. I figured there was a fatality as there was a large police presence and a tent set up where the victim was hit. It was a very strange spot as it was about 200m past the on ramp where pedestrian pick-up traffic merges with the highway and just past the 80kmh sign BC-17 - Google Maps

Edited by rjag, 31 January 2022 - 03:46 PM.

#6783 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 04:20 PM

Why did the man cross the road? Unknown. Hopefully “to get to the other side” is being given consideration in the investigation.

UPDATE: Man struck and killed on Hwy. 17 by tractor-trailer truck fresh off B.C. ferry

Sidney/North Saanich RCMP say man was in his 50s, reason for walking across highway still unknown

https://www.vicnews....-north-saanich/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 January 2022 - 04:21 PM.

#6784 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 03:39 PM

No Injuries After Vehicle Crashes Into Apartment

Date: Monday, February 7, 2022 - File: #22-4630

Victoria, BC – Investigators are seeking witnesses after a vehicle crashed into an apartment on Saturday night.

Just before 8 p.m. on Saturday, February 5th, Patrol officers were called to the intersection of Lee Avenue and Fort Street for a report that a vehicle had collided with a building. When officers arrived, they discovered that a vehicle had fully entered a suite in the building. As officers investigated they learned that the occupant of the suite had left the room moments before crash. Luckily, despite the damage, neither the occupant of the suite nor the driver of the vehicle were physically injured.

Impairment does not appear to be a factor in this collision. The investigation into the crash remains ongoing.

If you have information about this incident and have not yet spoken to investigators please call our Report Desk (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Vehicle-in-apartment.jpg

#6785 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:24 PM

If only the building had been wearing high viz clothing and made eye contact, this could have been avoided.

• Mike K., m3m and Victoria Watcher like this

#6786 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:28 PM

If only the building had been wearing high viz clothing and made eye contact, this could have been avoided.

Cant wait for Dean Murdock and Corey Burger to be interviewed about the need for higher walls to protect vulnerable homes

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 1 other like this

#6787 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:52 PM

Had the truckers blocked Fort Street, this would not have happened.
  • rjag and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6788 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 12:39 AM

Thanks a lot, truckers!

#6789 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:51 PM

Victoria woman says she’s grateful to still be alive after car crashes into her apartment

February 8, 2022

Lita Moth is still processing the shock of what happened over the weekend.

She said she’s grateful to still be alive after she narrowly missed catastrophic injury the moment a car drove into her apartment on Saturday.

“It was unreal. I could not believe my eyes. I thought it was some kind of really bad dream,” she said.

moth.png

“So, I was sitting right here on this couch, watching Jeopardy,” she said, pointing to the red sofa behind her.

“I texted my mother. It was commercial break. I stood up and by the time I went around that corner, it was like a bomb exploded right here in the living room.”

moth2.png

She and her partner have lived in the suite for about a year, but now with the apartment severely damaged, she doesn’t know where she’s going to live and how long it’ll take for it to get repaired.

Morehttps://www.cheknews...artment-951931/

#6790 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 12:21 PM

Traffic disrupted after cement truck overturns on Marigold Road in Saanich

A fully loaded cement truck tipped over on Marigold Road in Saanich shortly before 10 a.m. on Tuesday while turning from Interurban Road onto Marigold. No one was hurt in the incident. No other vehicles were involved.

truck.png

Saanich police are investigating after a fully loaded cement truck tipped over on Marigold Road on Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022. 

#6791 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 02:59 PM

I understand the emotional reaction and concern. But if this has not been previously identified - using “science” - as the highest priority crosswalk of concern, this is simply elected officials playing politics.

A crosswalk and intersection in Saanich where a teenager was fatally struck by a vehicle in December will undergo improvements starting Wednesday.

Kaydence Bourque, 16, was just metres from his Merriman Drive home when he was hit by a vehicle at 9:45 p.m. in a marked and lighted crosswalk on Cedar Hill Cross Road. He died the next day.

Last week, cyclist Paul O’Callaghan suffered a broken ankle, cuts and bruises when he was clipped by a truck pulling a trailer at the same spot. The first person on the scene was Crystal Bourque, the mother of Kaydence, who saw O’Callaghan get hit, ran out to stop traffic and called 911. She pleaded on social media for drivers to “please slow down.”

https://www.timescol...ecember-5067391

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 February 2022 - 03:00 PM.

#6792 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 15 February 2022 - 11:46 PM

Oh Thursday we had a car strike a pillar at my shop, pretty significant impact I’d say. Tracked down the driver, met up with him today and looked at his car. 2008 Subaru. Not a dent, not a scratch, I expected the grill and bumper would have sustained obvious damage. What are these cars made of?

B258932E-D16B-494E-92A3-1E88D1EF81F2.jpeg

Eta yeah it’s flipped, I blame the forum software. :)

Edited by Matt R., 15 February 2022 - 11:47 PM.

#6793 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 07:48 AM

That pillar would have cracked like that if you hit it with a wheelbarrow, I bet. Those beams age and get brittle.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6794 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:17 AM

What are these cars made of?...

Whatever they are made of, I'd suggest replacing the post with the same material.  ;)

• Matt R. likes this

#6795 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 12:47 PM

That pillar would have cracked like that if you hit it with a wheelbarrow, I bet. Those beams age and get brittle.

Oh hell no. We’ve had our share of close calls, trucks leaning on them, I’ve seen more than a few bumpers indented on these too. These people jumped the curb and hit it with some force. The whole thing is on video.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6796 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 06:13 AM

A few tips to protect yourself from attacks in or around your vehicle

Avoiding a potential assault in the first place is always the strongest defence

John Ducker, Times Colonist March 22, 2022

It was disturbing and ironic to read that Vancouver experienced 60 assaults over the past “Family Day” long weekend. A third of these attacks were categorized as “random” by the cops, meaning there was no relationship between attacker and victim and they started without any verbal exchange or physical pre-interaction.

Many assault cases occur in and around vehicles, be they road-rage incidents or simply random attacks, and attackers don’t seem to care about their victims’ gender, either.

As COVID restrictions start to ease, many women are returning to the workplace and often need to drive to get there. So it’s probably a good time to think about women driving alone and keeping safe inside and outside of a vehicle.

Unfortunately, women are seen as more vulnerable by attackers, but these scenarios apply for both male and female drivers. Adopting a few simple habits can do a lot to keep you safer in and around your vehicle.

#6797 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 06:54 AM

What the…?

Know it all.

#6798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 06:59 AM

What the…?

Not as "random" as it was described.

https://www.abbynews...ver the weekend.

#6799 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 01:42 PM

7DCE2BE6-37AD-4A8E-BDCA-5FD2AB5E1A67.jpeg
https://oakbaypolice...-march-13-2022/

#6800 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 14 March 2022 - 01:49 PM

Were they able to locate the cattle?

• todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users