Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7141 replies to this topic

#6841 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 07:27 PM

RCMP investigate after boy, 11, suffers concussion after being struck by car in Colwood

RCMP are investigating after a child was struck by an SUV while exiting a school bus at a marked crosswalk at Royal Roads University in Colwood

The crash occurred on May 27 around 3:10 p.m. along University Drive, according to the West Shore RCMP.

Mounties say the 11-year-old boy was exiting a school bus, which had its lights on and stop signals activated, and crossing at a crosswalk when an SUV drove around the bus and struck the student.

"He hit the side mirror and it spun him into the side of the vehicle, where he hit his head and left side of his body," said the boy's mother, Kristina Judas, in a statement to CTV News.

'BLACKED OUT'

Hudson Judas says he briefly "blacked out" after the collision.

He says he never saw the car coming and that it "just materialized out of nowhere."

"I came close to death, I don't know how to explain that," he told CTV News.

Screenshot 2022-06-01 20.19.19.png
Hudson Judas and his mom, Kristina Judas, are shown. June 1, 2022 

Police say the driver of the SUV exited his vehicle and provided first aid to the boy, but then left before police or paramedics arrived.

Investigators are now looking to speak with the driver of the SUV, or with anyone who witnessed the crash or who has dashcam video of the incident.

Hudson's mother says she's upset with the response from the bus driver, who reportedly acknowledged the crash but did not report the collision to police or the school district, or check on the boy's well-being.

Morehttps://vancouverisl...d-b-c-1.5928494

#6842 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 07:53 PM

I fail to understand how someone would think it's OK to drive past a school bus with it's red lights flashing?  It is such an asinine move that it should have the same penalty as drunk driving. 

#6843 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 01 June 2022 - 11:10 PM

^ the school busses here all have cameras that activate when the stop lights and signs go out, is that not standard?

#6844 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 12:44 PM

Car Strikes Pedestrian And Building, Injures Three

Date: Thursday, June 2, 2022 - File: #22-20402

Victoria, BC – Three people were injured this morning after a collision involving a vehicle, a pedestrian, and a building on Royal Jubilee Hospital grounds in Victoria.

At approximately 9 a.m. this morning VicPD officers responded to the Royal Jubilee Hospital for a report that a vehicle had struck a pedestrian and then driven into a building on hospital grounds. The vehicle was travelling on hospital grounds when it struck a pedestrian in a crosswalk, and then proceeded over a curb and into a nearby building. The pedestrian, a man, suffered non-life-threatening abrasions. The woman driving the vehicle suffered non-life-threatening injuries that required medical treatment at the scene. The passenger in the vehicle, a woman, suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to hospital. No occupants of the building were injured as a result of this incident.

VicPD’s Traffic officers and Collision Analysts responded to the scene, and traffic will remain disrupted in the area for several hours. At this time, it is believed that the cause of the incident is driver error. Drugs or alcohol are not believed to be a factor.

A photograph from the scene is below.

This file remains under investigation.

If you have information about this incident, please call our Report Desk at (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

RJH.jpg

#6845 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 04:29 AM

Man whose SUV hit Red Cross building relives chaos, fallout

Times-Colonist, June 5, 2022

mva.png
First responders attend the scene of the crash at the corner of Fairfield Road and Quadra Street in Victoria on May 10. The three people in the SUV and a pedestrian were taken to hospital.

John Enever was driving to his mom’s home in James Bay after a day of sightseeing up Island when everything went black.

As his body convulsed and his foot floored the accelerator of his SUV, he pushed two cars stopped at the traffic light into the intersection at Quadra Street and Fairfield Road, struck a pedestrian and careened into a building.

“My mom told me after the fact: ‘I looked over and it looked like you were dancing to the music,’ ” said Enever, 49, of Vancouver. “I said: ‘I wasn’t dancing, Mom — I was having a seizure.’ ”

The crash at the Fairfield intersection at 4:30 p.m. on May 10 sent Enever to hospital with a broken femur, his mother with shoulder and back injuries, and his friend Hilda, visiting from Mexico, with a slash to the back of her leg. The police did not provide an update on the condition of the pedestrian.

Enever’s beloved dog Rita — a seven-year-old Labrador-Shepherd — suffered a spinal cord injury causing partial paralysis and was euthanized, while Marker, an 11-year-old terrier, had only soft tissue injuries.

More:  https://digitaltimes...281479280056197

#6846 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,925 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 05:22 AM

Does anyone understand the part about the vet bill and the $1000 payment to a Calgary organization? It’s all confusing.

https://www.timescol...fallout-5444924

Did he have to pay the bill in the end?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 June 2022 - 05:23 AM.

#6847 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 06:14 AM

VCA control most of the Victoria area vet practices now, guess their HQ is in Calgary, so when the press enquired they agreed to accept $1000 to their charity, for PR purposes. At least that's how I read it.

#6848 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,925 posts

Posted 05 June 2022 - 06:22 AM

Oh I see.

Indeed they own Ross Bay, Burnside, Feltham and Central Saanich, as well as the Central one in the story.

Ok the story didn’t make the connection to VCA at all.

In 2017, VCA, which now owns more than 1,000 vet clinics in North America, was acquired by Mars Inc., the legacy of America’s third-richest family that stands behind confectionery brands including M&M’s, Twix, and Orbit, as well as pet food brands including Pedigree. Today, this conglomerate is considered the biggest buyer in the veterinary segment nationally and overseas. Except for VCA, this huge veterinary group also took ownership of Banfield (2007), Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners (2015), followed by smaller vet groups in Britain, Continental Europe, Brazil, and even China.

https://vetintegrati...-consolidators/

I’m already way out ahead of this. I started giving my Fido an all-Mars-bar diet back in about 2013. Soon after, he needed the vet more often. Now I’m seeing the connection.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 June 2022 - 06:30 AM.

#6849 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,925 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 05:16 AM

After 20 years of drivers flying down Old Esquimalt Road, those who get caught speeding on the residential street may no longer get away with a warning.

Esquimalt council voted last month to add a temporary electronic speed display board on the 30 km/h road and to work with Victoria police to increase officer presence in the area. A request for permanent speed display boards and school zone pavement markings for the roadway in next year’s draft budget was also approved.

It was originally recommended that the township work with VicPD to take a “graduated” approach to enforcement. Staff said that refers to VicPD’s usual strategy of providing a warning first before handing out tickets.

https://www.vicnews....-speeding-road/

30kmh has always been odd for this street.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 June 2022 - 05:17 AM.

#6850 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 06:53 PM

DANGEROUS OPERATION OF MOTORCYCLES ON HIGHWAY 17

June 8, 2022 - Files: #22-10732 / #22-10846

At least three motorcycles, excessively speeding and weaving in and out of traffic on Highway 17, prompted over a dozen 9-1-1 calls to police Monday evening.

On Monday, June 6 at 7 p.m. witnesses reported to police that the motorcycles were racing up and down Highway 17 in Saanich and then into neighbouring Central Saanich, North Saanich and Sidney. There are reports they were in the West Shore area as well.

Traffic Safety Officers with the Saanich Police Department attended to the highway, observed the racing motorcycles and attempted to stop them. The riders failed to pull over and they continued to accelerate at a high rate of speed.

“At this time, we are asking the public to check their dashcam footage to see if they captured the riders, who did multiple laps up and down the highway around 7 pm,” said Cst. Markus Anastasiades. “One of our officers was able to obtain a speed reading on one motorcycle of 270 km/h, which is an incredibly dangerous speed that put all road users at a significant risk of injury that evening.”

The motorcycles were described as red, blue, and black sports bikes with no licence plates visible.

The Traffic Safety Unit will be working with ICBC and Road Safety BC as part of this ongoing investigation.

Anyone with information can contact the Saanich Police Department at 250-475-4321, or report what they know anonymously through the Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Cst. Markus Anastasiades
Public Information & Communications Officer

#6851 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:02 PM

Sounds like these guys will be seen in a future edition of IdiotsInCars on Reddit.

#6852 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:10 PM

Screenshot 2022-06-08 20.02.32.png

'DISAPPOINTED AND FRUSTRATED'

Ron Cronk, executive director of the Vancouver Island Safety Council, says the videos are unacceptable.

"I saw all the videos and I tell you, it leaves me angry, disappointed and frustrated," he said.

Cronk is a retired police officer and currently works as a motorcycle instructor. He says the videos give motorcycle riders a bad name.

"The motorcycle community gets tarred with that kind of behavior," he said. "That’s just a small minority, from what I understand, and it just frustrates me."

CTV News reached out to the TikTok accounts that posted the videos. No response was received and both accounts were deleted shortly after.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 20.04.43.png

More: https://vancouverisl...toria-1.5938941

#6853 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 10:15 PM

‘Reckless’ motorcyclists speeding almost 300 km/h on Pat Bay difficult to convict, say police

Jun. 10, 2022

Saanich Police say they’re closing in on possible consequences for at least three motorcycle riders after videos surfaced online allegedly showing them stunting, speeding and weaving in and out of traffic at speeds up to 300 kilometres an hour down the Pat Bay Highway.

“They were doing multiple laps which kind of shows their arrogance and disregard for the rules of the road,” said Anastasiades.

The videos however give plenty to go off of. They were posted to Colin Penzel’s TikTok account, which has since been deleted, as have all other social media accounts with that name.

A phone screen saver in the video shows a vaccine card under the same name.

“The video on its own is unlikely to result in a conviction,” said Michael Mulligan, a criminal lawyer in Victoria.

“The person posting the video may not be the person in the video,” said Mulligan, who actually acted as defense counsel in the case which went in front of Victoria’s court in 2013.

But a conviction is not impossible, and lessons learned by Saanich Police from the case are being applied in this case, a decade later.

Given the multiple videos, personal information included, and mounting eyewitness statements, Saanich Police is confident the reckless thrill-seeking racers’ 10 seconds of fame, in one way or another, is up.

#6854 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 06:38 AM

Huh?

A phone screen saver in the video shows a vaccine card under the same name.

“The video on its own is unlikely to result in a conviction,” said Michael Mulligan, a criminal lawyer in Victoria.

“The person posting the video may not be the person in the video,” said Mulligan, who actually acted as defense counsel in the case which went in front of Victoria’s court in 2013.

But a conviction is not impossible, and lessons learned by Saanich Police from the case are being applied in this case, a decade later.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6855 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,925 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 06:53 AM

The actions are pretty reckless but they are not likely to result in serious injuries or death for anyone but the riders.

#6856 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 07:06 AM

Riders kill and injure people all the time. Coming up on a car doing 90, and you’re doing 300, is going to cause a spectacular crash.

You’re not really dealing with bright lights to begin with. Speed doesn’t make you a skilled rider.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6857 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,925 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 07:16 AM

Riders kill and injure people all the time. 

Actually, rarely.

More than 85 percent of the 2,260 motorcycle riders killed in two-vehicle crashes were in crashes involving passenger vehicles. Among the fatalities in two-vehicle crashes involving motorcycles and passenger vehicles, 98 percent of the fatalities were motorcycle riders and only 2 percent of the fatalities were passenger vehicle occupants.

https://crashstats.n...lication/810834

So 98 times out of 100, if these guys crash into a car, they will kill themselves rather than car occupants.  100% of the time they lose control and hit a fixed object or slide out of control and die they will just kill themselves.

So maybe just let nature take its course here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 June 2022 - 07:20 AM.

#6858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 07:29 AM

Now I did specifically say kill and injure.

People are killed and injured when their vehicles hit deer. And these guys are coming at you doing 300. The collision won’t be a pleasant one for other motorists.

Know it all.

#6859 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 07:37 AM

I hope these motorcyclists have registered as organ donors.

If you guys are reading this, here is the link

http://www.transplan...-donor-registry

#6860 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 04:08 PM

At 300kmh there are no organs left to harvest. Maybe some bone meal for the garden.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users