Photo

The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7137 replies to this topic

#6901 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 05:25 PM

Andrew just seems to be grandstanding and he has lost my respect and my vote over the last year. 

#6902 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,324 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 05:46 PM

Who will you vote for instead?

#6903 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 05:51 PM

I will definitely vote but I rather not vote for mayor than to vote for Andrew again. 

Ask me again as we get closer to the election but it is a sad slate of candidates so far.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6904 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 August 2022 - 07:32 AM

We get the governments we deserve.

Why not run, barrister?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6905 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:35 AM

Dashcam, Witnesses Sought In Collision Investigation

Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2022 - File: #22-31276

Victoria, BC – VicPD officers are seeking dashcam video and witnesses as we continue to investigate a serious collision in Victoria this morning.

Shortly before 7 a.m. this morning, VicPD officers responded to the intersection of Cook and Finlayson streets for a report of a collision involving a car and a motorcycle. Officers attended, along with BC Emergency Health Services paramedics, and the man driving the motorcycle was transported to hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries. He remains in hospital.

Investigators are interested in speaking with anyone in possession of dashcam video from the area of the intersection of Cook and Finlayson streets at approximately 6:45 a.m. this morning, or any witnesses to this incident.

Traffic at the intersection of Cook and Finlayson streets remains closed this morning as officers continue their investigation.

If you have information about this incident, please call our Report Desk and (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#6906 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 20 August 2022 - 08:45 PM

BREAKING: @WestVanPolice says 3 people killed, 2 others injured after vehicle crashes into ppl attending a wedding at private property on Keith Road.

Person was pulling out of shared driveway & accelerated forward. @GlobalBC

#6907 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 03:54 PM

Allegedly impaired driver ‘lucky to be alive’ after crashing, rolling vehicle in Saanich

Sep. 27, 2022

Screenshot 2022-09-27 16.52.04.png
A Toyota Matrix seen upside down on Blenkinsop Road after crashing at around 2 a.m. Tuesday. (Photo credit: Howie Allen)

A woman suspected of driving while impaired is lucky to be alive after she crashed into a ditch and rolled her vehicle early Tuesday morning, say Saanich Police.

At around 2 a.m., police officers, members of the Saanich Fire Department and paramedics responded to a single-vehicle crash in the 4400-block of Blenkinsop Road.

Sgt. Damian Kowalewich, acting media spokesperson for the Saanich Police Department, said the driver of the vehicle was a middle-aged female from Greater Victoria. He said she was first assessed by officers for injuries and then investigated for suspected impaired driving.

Kowalewich said while it isn’t clear whether the vehicle hit the ditch and went airborne, what is clear is that the vehicle rolled over and that the woman is lucky she or anyone else wasn’t seriously hurt or killed.

#6908 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 03:56 PM

Why did they let her off with a 90-day suspension if it was so serious? Why not criminal impaired charges?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 September 2022 - 03:57 PM.

#6909 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 09:54 PM

Semi-truck driver veers off Highway 19 in Nanoose Bay, crashes into house

Oct 3, 2022

NANAIMO — Significant traffic disruptions northbound on Hwy. 19 through Nanoose Bay resulted in vehicles lined back several kilometers.

A northbound semi-truck went off-road and crashed into a home on Hwy 19 near Summerset Rd., south of the Petro Canada service station.

A BC Emergency Health Services (EHS) statement late Monday afternoon noted “the incident is ongoing” and that additional information from the single-vehicle incident could not be provided.

The crash happened on Monday, Oct. 3 at about 2 p.m.

Emergency crews were on scene for an extended period tending to the driver of the crashed truck.

Traffic was gridlocked on Highway 19 heading north between Nanaimo and Parksville throughout the afternoon.

Morehttps://nanaimonewsn...hes-into-house/

Screenshot 2022-10-03 22.51.37.png

#6910 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 03:04 PM

Take a look at these photos (twitter):

https://twitter.com/...534463856070657

B.C. mom thankful to be alive after massive beam impales windshield on North Shore bridge
“I thanked God and my angels for saving my life and protecting my son and I," says Squamish woman.

#6911 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 11:57 AM

Injuries of child hit on Shelbourne less severe because of vehicle's slower speed: police

A child under 12 was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries after being hit in a crosswalk Tuesday morning at Shelbourne Street and San Juan Avenue

https://www.timescol...-police-6004530

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 October 2022 - 11:57 AM.

#6912 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 October 2022 - 12:42 PM

Its the brand new section of Shelbourne... is Saanich seriously going to drop the speed limit to 30 on Shelbourne? The article seems to imply it.

#6913 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 12:45 PM

If only the speed limit was 5kmh. The child would not have been hit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 October 2022 - 12:45 PM.

#6914 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 October 2022 - 01:12 PM

Ban pedestrians. Then they definitely wouldn't be hit.

• Nparker likes this

#6915 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 01:15 PM

Certainly anyone under 12 should be driven to school.

#6916 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 02:13 PM

Release from Saanich PD:

A child is recovering in hospital after being struck while crossing in a marked crosswalk on Shelbourne Street early this morning.

On Tuesday, October 25 just after 7:20 a.m. police responded to a call that a pedestrian had been struck on Shelbourne Street at San Juan Avenue. Once on scene, officers learned that the pedestrian was a child who was on their way to school and was struck by the driver of a southbound vehicle while in the marked crosswalk. The child was transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The driver of the vehicle remained on scene and cooperated with police. While officers continue to investigate, an early analysis of the scene has shown that neither speed nor impairment were factors in this collision.

“The speed of the vehicle, which we believe was being driven under the speed limit, limited the severity of the injuries sustained by the child,” said Constable Markus Anastasiades. “This time of year we do see an uptick in the number of collisions involving pedestrians, so the timing of this incident is, unfortunately, a good reminder to all road users to be extra vigilant when approaching intersections.”

Motorists should ensure that they proceed with caution at intersections and crosswalks, that their vehicle lights are all working properly, and that their windshield and wipers are in good condition.

Pedestrians and cyclists can enhance the chances of being seen by drivers by wearing lighter or reflective clothing, and by using extra caution when in intersections or crosswalks. Taking the time to make eye contact with drivers coming to a stop at an intersection or crosswalk is strongly recommended.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6917 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,324 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 05:15 AM

Cote told Capital Daily how her mother would walk to school by herself in Saanich everyday when she was a young child. 

“I’m not even sure [that] when my child is 12, that I’ll let him walk to a friend’s house two blocks away,” said Cote. “It just seems unfathomable to me, because of the way that people drive and the amount of vehicles on the road.” 

The city has seen an increasing car ownership, and newer cars can be heavier, taller, and larger than older models, with more blind spots, potentially leading to devastating collisions. A 2021 study by Consumer Reports pointed out the increased hazard particularly in pickup trucks: “[D]rivers have poorer front sight lines, creating a blind spot that can hide a pedestrian or smaller car right in front,” the report read, calling the trend “alarming.” 

https://www.capitald...child-crosswalk

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2022 - 05:15 AM.

#6918 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 05:26 AM

Helicopter parenting at its finest.🙄

#6919 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,362 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 01:30 PM

Vehicle explodes at marina parking lot in Brentwood Bay

Oct. 30, 2022 

221030-Vehicle-Explosion-Ford-Escape-Brentwood-Bay-1-1024x768.jpg

One person was hurt after a small SUV exploded at a parking lot in Brentwood Bay Sunday morning.

The incident happened at the Anglers Anchorage Marina in Brentwood Bay at around 8:50 a.m. Oct. 30 and involved an older Ford Escape, which had its windows blown out and roof buckled upwards.

CHEK News has learned one man is being treated for minor injuries.

#6920 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 01:47 PM

Ford Escape: Who knew this was an instruction and not just a vehicle name?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users