• 522 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

Zebra Design has done some good stuff.

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

^There was a rather rundown old house there that I belive they relocated to build those townhomes.
Bruce Wilkin designed them for Zebra but currently he is working on his own.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

The design is actually strikingly similar. Look at the roof lines.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

^ Like this:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 SpeEZd-iN

SpeEZd-iN
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

Actually, these units have nothing to do with those on Fort & Carberry, except similarities in design if anything.

The Developer has built townhomes recently, they are located at Oak bay Ave & Yale in the Oak Bay Village. In my view, they are one of the nicest ones you'll see.

The Developer is fully aware that this proposed use is underbuilding the site, but sees little options for other ideas given the self serving mindset of the few militant NIMBYs and their unending opposition for a more diversified alternative. (You think they might be trying to increase their own property values by limiting supply of any affordable or mid priced homes? They only seem to be ok with stuff that has huge $$$ stickers).

And this same developer proposed the 8-stories, which would have had an affordability component, but strictly because JBNEA and their ilk were letting him know it would be a tough battle, he settled on a design which will allow him to build relatively unhindered, expediently, and more profitabily.

Due to structural & mechanical requirements, costs significantly rise after 8 stories, and a building is profitable (barely) at 12 stories. Thus, not many buildings are built in between 9-11 stories. He had wanted to go 12 to 14 stories originally as that would have been the best use of the site, and best for the city in the long run. Alas, you now get what JBNEA says you can have. Sad.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:03 PM

Interesting about the lack of 9 - 11 storey buildings due to cost. I guess that is why Harris Green and its 9 or 10 storey height limit never really took off :)

It has a whole new look!

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

Due to structural & mechanical requirements, costs significantly rise after 8 stories, and a building is profitable (barely) at 12 stories. Thus, not many buildings are built in between 9-11 stories. He had wanted to go 12 to 14 stories originally as that would have been the best use of the site, and best for the city in the long run.

Hrmm thats really interesting, pieces of information like that should be saved and collected for a front page story - it would be interesting to understand the affordability of different heights - as well as at what point it is economical to go for stronger, longer lasting and higher quality materials and structures.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

I believe this passed at City Hall last Thursday.

It has a whole new look!

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:21 PM

I believe this is before Council on Aug. 23, presumably for Development Permit. The last meeting must have been the rezoning.

Also that day will be 1114 Dallas Rd. which I think must be a secondary suite or duplex rezoning?

#30 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

The 8 story building that he had proposed for this site was an unadorned straight up curtain wall building which would have been totally inappropriate for such a significant corner, and inappropriately sited between a heritage red brick school (South Park) and the heritage Victorian cottage on the property on the Superior side. We had a very positive meeting with the developer which resulted in the townhouse proposal which I was very happy to see and which will add an attractive element to this corner. I hope that they can find another site for the Shamrock, which is a very nice representation of motel architecture but does not have a future at this location.
Pieta VanDyke

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

The 8 story building that he had proposed for this site was an unadorned straight up curtain wall building which would have been totally inappropriate for such a significant corner...

Can you elaborate on why it would have been inappropriate?

#32 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:08 PM

1. Because the design would not have complimented the neighbouring buildings in any way.
2. For a corner like this the dimensions should reflect the buildings around it. In this case there are 2 story buildings to the north, a park to the NE and SE, a one story cottage to the west, and a 3 story school to the south. The proposed townhomes are in scale with the surrounding uses and repeat (though not literally) design elements, lines and detailing in those buildings. The proposed box would not have "answered" the design of the buildings around it and would have been totally out of scale. It would have drawn attention to itself and not contributed to the streetscape.
Pieta VanDyke

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

Perhaps I'm too literal about these sorts of things, but a modern glass residential building beside an old brick schoolhouse would actually be a very complementary combination.

Does South Park School draw attention to itself? It doesn't look like anything else around there. I like the fact that it draws attention to itself. Isn't that what we want a building to do? Every building in old Victoria was designed to draw attention to itself.

Here's a different take on the scale issue:

#34 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

I don't disagree with you. One of my favorite juxtapositions is the (former) Bank of Hong Kong next to the old bank on the south side of 700 block Fort (across from the Dutch bakery). It is an absolutely fantastic set-off with the modern faceted glass building next to the old stone building, both in the same scale, and both (at one time) banks.

The original proposal for the corner of Superior and Douglas just wasn't right. and it didn't take advantage of it being a corner that is often viewed from the north. The current proposal does make reference to the corner.
Pieta VanDyke

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:00 PM

That was the problem with Herb Kwan's first design for the old Volvo lot. The second version was more corner-oriented (like Juliet) and was more successful (although it's stalled now).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

Looks like they're getting ready to tear this place down. (Notice the fencing around the trees.) So long to one of the last affordable motels in the city.Hello to some of the least affordable townhomes:

#37 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

I happen to pass this site today. OMG! The Shamrock has been taken by leprechauns.

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:47 PM

It was all but gone when I went by on Saturday. It doesn't appear the developer felt a need to take this one done with a teaspoon, unlike Town & Country. Has anyone ever seen "de-construction" move so slowly?

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

RIP

#40 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

I remember when they built that place. I'm not sure it was originally called
The Shamrock. The older I get, the more often I'm saying 'I remember when they built that and now they're tearing it down' ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users