Photo

[James Bay] Townhomes at Douglas & Superior | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

Here are the renderings of the townhomes going in, posted originally by the late Oxford Sutherland:
http://aycu09.websho...95387710_rs.jpg
http://aycu35.websho...07566620_rs.jpg

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

Not an inch taller than the Shamrock, thank God.

#43 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

How do you spell pastiche...?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#44 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

That's my favourite flavour. It's just so flavourful. So many flavours to savour.

#45 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

I think that's a nice design. Course I also like bands on Blanshard.

#46 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Hard to tell from the pics but they've slowly started on the foundations:

(Photobucket.com's new bulk uploader is effing awesome!)

#47 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:38 AM

50 plus years ago, James Bay had a terrible reputation. That's where the houses were just "old houses". That's were the James Bay hooligans lived. That's where the people who couldn't afford anything "new" lived. The closer you lived to Beacon Hill the better.
Anything east of Oswego was off limits to me.

I'm glad to see times have changed but what a shame the most beautiful homes are long gone.

#48 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

^I've heard James Bay had a nasty reputation. I was talking to a cabbie a year or so ago and he was saying that twenty years ago, he's avoid driving in that area if he could.
What there substance to this reputation? Did bad things actually happen, or was the place the source of a handful of urban legends?

I lived there fairly recently, and I can tell you the place feels as safe as any neighbourhood today.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:49 AM

Yeah, it's tough to imagine JB being much different than it is today.

Although given the large tracts of industrial land that JB once had along its western shoreline, the neighbourhoods abutting industry were probably not the most sought after by your regular citizenry. I did hear, though, that JB of the 1950's was sketchy and things began to look up throughout the latter half of the 20th Century. Gentrification at work, I suppose.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

There was definitely an east/west divide. Just as today, the poorer areas had the most problems. Those were the boys who swore, played truant and got into trouble. Those were the girls who swore and smoked. tsk tsk

But on the 'good' side, the east side, things were safe and a wonderful place to grow up. From the old museum in the parliament bldgs, to Beacon Hill Park, to Dallas Rd beaches and everything in between. That was our playground.

Members of my family lived, met, married and had children in James Bay from the 1890s to 2005.

#51 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

Here's a new rendering we haven't seen before. It's up on a billboard in front of the site:

Progress:

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:02 PM

I get it. South Park School has a couple of peaked roofs so it only makes sense that this new building should have a bunch of them.

Ironically, the motel didn't have a peaked roof. And yet people wanted to save it. Because it fitted in so well.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:06 PM

On the plus side, the level of detail seems to be much higher than on those new Breakwater condos.

#54 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

^ A slightly peakier Songhees? :-/
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#55 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:53 PM

Cyclopses (plural) in pointy hats?

(A surfeit of "surprised" single eyes, with wide open mouths, topped by pointy hats...)

#56 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

All I can add is, "those soffits on the undersides of the pointy hats below the round single eyes better not be made of cheap vinyl, they better be made of some quality product, like real wood..."

Nothing ruins faux heritage faster than faux materials...

#57 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for posting that rendering and progress shots gumgum...I've been sitting up here watching them at work there and wondering what the heck they were building because everytime I drove by there was nothing...and i didn 't clue in this was the forum for that site ...DOH

#58 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:31 AM

Pretty bland in my opinion. The rendering is interesting though. I wounder if the hunchback in the white shirt knows yet that he's about to be mugged by the scoundrel hiding behind the planter. And when it happens, will the bookworm in black help him, or run away. It's all really so exciting I might buy a place......

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:42 AM

Am I alone in thinking that this is quite an attractive looking project? "Dissing" the peaked roofs and "faux" heritage aspects is unfair, IMO. Clearly the architect is paying homage to the next door neighbour, Southpark school, and from what I can see, doing it quite well. Assuming the materials used are of high quality and the finishing done well, this may end up being one of the more appealing developments in the area.

#60 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

Am I alone in thinking that this is quite an attractive looking project? "Dissing" the peaked roofs and "faux" heritage aspects is unfair, IMO. Clearly the architect is paying homage to the next door neighbour, Southpark school, and from what I can see, doing it quite well. Assuming the materials used are of high quality and the finishing done well, this may end up being one of the more appealing developments in the area.

I'll most certainly side with you on this one...I think its going to be a great addition to the neighborhood and especially the corner. It will fit in a lot better than the old Shamrock

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users