#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

NEW EFFICIENT LIGHT BULB STANDARDS TO TAKE EFFECT IN BC JANUARY 1ST
Dec 30, 2010

LIGHT BULBS THAT EAT UP TOO MUCH ENERGY WILL SOON BE OFF BC STORE SHELVES, THIS WHEN THE PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT INTRODUCES NEW EFFICIENT LIGHT BULB STANDARDS JANUARY FIRST

http://www.cfax1070....hp?newsId=16714

Time to stock up. Does this apply just to the screw-base bulbs or are halogens being taken away from us too?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

^ Misguided, but it makes people feel good. In most of BC, in most of the year, incandescent bulbs run at near 100% efficiency, because they also heat the home as needed. So your other form of home heating is used less.

I'm sure if I live in Ft. St. John, the return on investment on CFLs is 30 or 40 years.

Why don't we do something more positive like increase the national building code to call for higher insulation rates for new home construction?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

Why don't we do something more positive like increase the national building code to call for higher insulation rates for new home construction?

Didn't we do that? Isn't that what led to the leaky condo problems?

Household lightbulb use makes up such a small portion of total energy use anyway. But.. like you said, someone's feeling all warm and fuzzy over this.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

Didn't we do that? Isn't that what led to the leaky condo problems?

I'm thinking just more insulation in the attic and walls, and higher standards for windows, or a combination of all that.

There is an interesting and relatively easy-to-calculate insulation standard used in some jurisdictions. The take the surface area of all the exterior walls, and the footprint of the attic (the plan of the foundation) and they insist on a minimum average R-value for the lot. So a builders can achieve the goal by using less windows (windows are not good insulators) or increasing attic and/or wall R-values. Yes, in some cases this will require additional wall thickness. Sometimes they can get extra credit by using an insulating garage door, or by having a detached garage, or by having a double-door system from the home to the garage, or even by having a single-car garage rather than double or triple. They can get extra credit by using a heat-pump or geo-thermal etc.

It's not all that confusing a system, if you are in the building trade.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

I think it's just easier to ban >75W light bulbs

#26 LJ

LJ
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

The only problem is as we use less electricity they will have to raise the rates because they are not making enough money, just like our water conservation program.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

The only problem is as we use less electricity they will have to raise the rates because they are not making enough money, just like our water conservation program.

Our rates are already pretty low compared to the rest of the country. They're going up either way.

I just can't believe we live in a society where the government gets to tell us what wattage lightbulb we can use..

#28 phx

phx
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

I just can't believe we live in a society where the government gets to tell us what wattage lightbulb we can use..

It's a plot to keep us in the dark.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

With electricity, we can ship excess to other markets and get a good buck.

We could do that with water to if everyone weren't so opposed.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

"Money For Nothing," a classic-rock radio staple by Dire Straits, is too offensive for Canadian broadcasts because of its use of the word "***got," the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council has ruled.

The ruling, released Wednesday, responded to a complaint submitted to St. John's radio station CHOZ-FM over a Feb. 1 airing of an unedited version of the song, which mentions the word three times.

Read more: http://www.canada.co...l#ixzz1AvrH66Kf

AWESOME! 25 years later, we are adding new "bad words" to our laws.

What a niggling joke.

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

I see the word has been banned here too

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

Read more: http://www.canada.co...l#ixzz1AvrH66Kf

AWESOME! 25 years later, we are adding new "bad words" to our laws.

What a niggling joke.

http://www.radio-inf...or-1-solid-hour

K97 says even “LGBT supporter Elton John” has performed the song as written. So tonight (January 14), CIRK and Newcap sisters Q104, Halifax and K-Rock, Cold Lake, Alberta will make a point about “the dangers of censorship”, and loop the unedited version of “Money” for a whole hour. They've also invited representatives from the gay community to participate.

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

I don't like art being censored, but I don't like kids being exposed and desensitized to hate words. I'm torn by this issue. We can learn from these lyrics. They represent the mistakes we've made in the past. But maybe instead of bleeping the word, they should ban it from the airwaves instead, and not alter it at all.

I remember listening to the lyrics as a child and assuming that he was being ironic somehow. I suppose he wasnt.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

I don't like art being censored, but I don't like kids being exposed and desensitized to hate words.

It is only a "hate word" because society chooses it to be. Society somehow thinks we should have hate words. If we just one day decided there were no swear words, the next generation would be hard-pressed to create new ones from scratch. Anybody know of any "new" swear words invented in the last 50 years?

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:23 PM

Laws were invented by society too. What's your point?

Lots of people have this idea that words are an abstract, harmless thing that don't really have any tangible value.
Words may be symbols. But so is money.

Words influence people. There's no getting around that.

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,892 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

I didn't even know the word was in the song till this whole thing came about. I say the song stays.

There are a lot of offensive things in society perhaps we need to lighten up and not take all of them so seriously. I find prayers at council meetings and in the legislature offensive but choose not to bother asking them to stop doing it.

#37 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

I know a few people who are gay and none of them are in the least bit offended by the song. In fact they think it is ridiculous that the song was banned.

All it took was ONE listener complaining about it. Imagine if we could recall corrupt politicians with just ONE call!

Did anyone see Kathy Griffin on TV tonight? :P

#38 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

I'm not offended by it either, but what's stopping actual anti-homosexual songs coming into the mainstream?

I know that a lot of gays are offended by the use of ***got. (Including this forum machine.)

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

I'm not offended by it either, but what's stopping actual anti-homosexual songs coming into the mainstream?

Society's general distaste for anti-gay attitudes.

If an anti-gay song does well, is very successful commercially, then I guess there is lots of anti-gay sentiment out there. But I really can't imagine any radio station thinking an overtly anti-gay song would go over well with their audiences, so they are unlikely to play it much, and it will not be successful commercially. What mainstream artist will want to make such a song?

See, the free market takes care of it. No government intervention required.

The censors missed the theme of the song in this case. It is not Mark K. saying he hates gays, it's a character in the song complaining about their successes.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

The word ***got has been used for a long term in an abusive manner. It's essentially replaced words like ****head and idiot. "Nice driving, ***got!"
"Look at your new haircut, you look like a ***got." It's a derogatory word lumping all gay people as a negative element of society.

Stand up comic and podcaster Joe Rogan, with a listener base of over 100,000, used the word liberally for years until he received a plea from a gay person explaining it in a similar manner. He has since stopped using the word. But not before going years saying it publicly in his podcasts and his stand-up routine. The man has made millions from his words. I can't see how the market stopped him from using the term.

I have to reiterate, I am not completely convinced that this song should be censored, but I do see a valid reason to do so. What is completely ignored by the libertarian standpoint is the interest of the greater good and how laws and government sometimes have the ability to influence change of the people.

Also, there are a lot of songs with very derogatory lyrics that thrive in a free market, because they are derogatory. The shock value wins over actual talent.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users