• Please log in to reply
2157 replies to this topic

#1681 rjag

rjag
  • 5,120 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

https://business.fin...obox=1542896455

Another report reluctantly admits that 'green' energy is a disastrous flop This report should be profoundly embarrassing to the government of Justin Trudeau

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#1682 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

If anyone can translate this into English I'd appreciate it.

Capture.JPG

• AllseeingEye, sebberry, Matt R. and 1 other like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#1683 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,947 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:57 PM

/\......you would think someone with a "very high level of intelligence" would, um....be capable of,,,you know....articulating his position......uhhhhm....more coherently and with, ah, great clarity of thought......

Meanwhile its truly amazing to me to think there are actually people - including people in positions of power on the international stage with the ability to influence others of similar stature - that openly question whether the climate is shifting and the planet warming up.

I don't need a PhD to know intuitively that the trillions of cubic tons of industrial crap we spew into our atmosphere and into our ocean and land ecosystems, can't result in a good outcome, either for humans or the other life forms on this little sphere.

Also based on my experiences when i was younger, I don't need a higher degree to know that its warmer in summer here than in the 1960's (I remember when 30 C was practically unheard of in SW BC. Now its relatively common). We get less snow than we used to, not that historically we got bucket-loads to begin with, but winters when I was a kid were cooler, and for longer. Last year we got what, a snow "shower" on Christmas Eve that lasted about 25 minutes, the sum total of what passes for winter in Victoria....? The Comox Glacier has all but disappeared compared to when i explored it on a camping trip in 1978; today its a fraction of what it was 40 years ago. And of course in geologic terms four decades isn't even equivalent to the blink of an eye.

Above all when I'm fishing on our coast and routinely catch mackerel, an offshore species rarely seen in the past in local waters, or especially Humboldt squid - a subtropical and highly invasive and aggressive species whose traditional range was from South America to California - as we have done several times now off Sooke, then you know that something somewhere is seriously out of whack and that the delicate balance upon which all species on this little planet depend, is not right. 

One would hope the Trump's of the world would rise above petty partisan politics in an effort to encourage and enact real change in response. Alas we all know that won't happen; I suspect our generation will be able to live out our lives relatively unscathed in terms of what's to come if we don't change course as a species; but I'm glad I won't be here in 50 or 100 years though, as I'm quite certain if we stay the course with our collective heads up our butts - and we humans are good at that - the consequences are going to be brutal for our children and especially our grandchildren. Just happy I won't be around to see it.....

• nerka likes this

#1684 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 03:07 PM

^Well, yeah it's one thing to say climate change is bogus. 

But I honestly can't figure out what Trump is saying here. He starts by describing what sounds like big city pollution then segues into something that might be the jet stream or trade winds and ends up with a comment on what might be beach litter. 

I have never heard a speech like that from someone who was not profoundly stoned out of their gourd.

• Mike K. likes this

#1685 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,947 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

/\.......you need to listen in on his presser's more often - they're Gold Jerry, Gold I tell ya!

Besides particularly to vast swaths of the under-educated, generally under 30 and white, mostly mid western and southern US male demographic, you toss in a dash of 'criminal immigrant' references, mixed with a slice of 'the liberal-controlled media', and vague references to China & Russia (not sure if they are an enemy or an ally but presumably the Donald will figure it all out!), not-so-free-trade, and a "Mexican wall", and it all makes perfect sense.... :)

#1686 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:18 AM

Global warming does not exist. END OF STORY

#1687 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,523 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:18 AM

^πŸ€”πŸ€¨πŸ˜πŸ˜ΆπŸ™„
  • Rob Randall and tedward like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1688 nerka

nerka
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:37 AM

I have never heard a speech like that from someone who was not profoundly stoned out of their gourd.

That's my reaction to most of his stream of consciousness rambling on just about any topic.

#1689 SimonH

SimonH
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:15 PM

Global warming does not exist. END OF STORY

Oh dear....... 

Edited by SimonH, 11 December 2018 - 02:16 PM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1690 RFS

RFS
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:06 PM

That's my reaction to most of his stream of consciousness rambling on just about any topic.

For a guy that you guys all think is an incoherent idiot, he is one of the sharpest 'come-back' politicians ever and does even better under pressure.  Go back and watch some debates.  Remember "Because you'd be in jail"?  Critical hit 

#1691 RFS

RFS
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:09 PM

For a guy that you guys all think is an incoherent idiot, he is one of the sharpest 'come-back' politicians ever and does even better under pressure.  Go back and watch some debates.  Remember "Because you'd be in jail"?  Critical hit 

Not to mention how he absolutely ADMONISHED and broke the spirit of Cryin' Chuck Schumer on live TV today 

#1692 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:24 PM

Not to mention how he absolutely ADMONISHED and broke the spirit of Cryin' Chuck Schumer on live TV today 

That's funny, I saw Chuck Schumer repeatedly turn away from Trump in utter disgust as Trump rambled incoherently about "making Mexico pay for the wall" and other boring repeats from his pre-election campaign.

Funny how two people can watch the identical scenario, and yet they can see two completely different things!

Must be science eh?

• AllseeingEye likes this

#1693 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:34 PM

That's funny, I saw Chuck Schumer repeatedly turn away from Trump in utter disgust as Trump rambled incoherently about "making Mexico pay for the wall" and other boring repeats from his pre-election campaign.

Funny how two people can watch the identical scenario, and yet they can see two completely different things!
Must be science eh?

Confirmation bias.

#1694 Greg

Greg
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:35 AM

Must be science eh?

Confirmation bias.

One guy thinks Trump won by being loud, blustery, openly dishonest, and red-faced. The other guy thinks Schumer/Pelosi won by having command of the facts, and being factually correct on every single substantial point discussed.

I think the difference between the two might be based on something more concrete than confirmation bias.

• Cassidy likes this

#1695 RFS

RFS
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:51 AM

One guy thinks Trump won by being loud, blustery, openly dishonest, and red-faced. The other guy thinks Schumer/Pelosi won by having command of the facts, and being factually correct on every single substantial point discussed.

I think the difference between the two might be based on something more concrete than confirmation bias.

What was dishonest?  Chuck accused Trump of wanting to shut down the government over border security and the wall, and Trump said "Yes that's right I will".

Nancy and Chuck got nervous because they don't do well on live TV where the average American might realize they don't actually agree with them at all.

#1696 m3m

m3m
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:24 AM

Nobody looked good in that segment.  I personally think Pence looked the worst of the four. 

#1697 nerka

nerka
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:21 PM

What was dishonest? 

Sequentially saying we are already building the wall and there is a massive crisis because we are not building the wall.

• Cassidy likes this

#1698 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:25 PM

Nobody looked good in that segment.  I personally think Pence looked the worst of the four. 

Some wag said "If you sit like that on a commercial airliner, what will happen is all the flight attendants will have a meeting upfront to decide which one will check his pulse."

• Cassidy likes this

#1699 RFS

RFS
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:30 PM

Sequentially saying we are already building the wall and there is a massive crisis because we are not building the wall.

What?  The wall has started in some areas, needs to be completed in others.  Not that complicated

#1700 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

I particularly enjoyed the description of him as elf on the shelf.

• Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users