Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#681 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:41 PM

Is this just a promo to get us to sign up for a higher speed? Haven’t seen this publicized anywhere.

Matt.

#682 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 December 2018 - 01:54 PM

Is this just a promo to get us to sign up for a higher speed? Haven’t seen this publicized anywhere.

Matt.

No it’s permanent at 300 for all 150 users. If you are month to month you are limited to 1tb but on contract it’s unlimited data

#683 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

Matt.

It's on the front page of Shaw's website, for instance :)

#684 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

Lol yah I check their website pretty often...

Thanks for the tip tho, not bad for wifi on a dirt road on salt spring!

1BAE9051-5450-4C89-AEE1-32E288CDC548.png

Matt.
  • rjag, Bob Fugger and vortoozo like this

#685 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:07 PM

158.6/15.6 with my restarted modem. 🤨
  • Matt R. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#686 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:08 PM

Yah, I just power cycled my modem, still at 150.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#687 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

Haha suckers.

Matt.

#688 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

Already had 150... so?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#689 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

158.6/15.6 with my restarted modem.

Yah, I just power cycled my modem, still at 150.

Contact Shaw and ask

But it may be something to do with your cabling. I had too many short cables connected and was only getting 75mb last year, hd them come in to do a service call and they fixed it all up. It would be worth doing an online chat with them as they can ping your modem and see whats going on

Edited by rjag, 03 December 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#690 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:11 PM

https://community.sh.../docs/DOC-17572

Here’s all the info on it

#691 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:48 AM

I'm still at a hard 153 despite re-booting my router.

There's some buzz on the Shaw forums that the upgrade hasn't yet been rolled out on Vancouver Island?

Whatever it is, something ain't right if we're supposed to all have 300 today as long as we had 150 yesterday.

I've got the Cisco router, which Shaw says is fine for moving from 150 to 300 ... but I'm definitely not currently getting 300.

Is anybody in Victoria or Saanich who was on 150 actually getting 300 today from just a router re-boot?

#692 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:56 AM

There's some buzz on the Shaw forums that the upgrade hasn't yet been rolled out on Vancouver Island?

Whatever it is, something ain't right if we're supposed to all have 300 today as long as we had 150 yesterday.

I've got the Cisco router, which Shaw says is fine for moving from 150 to 300 ... but I'm definitely not currently getting 300.

Is anybody in Victoria or Saanich who was on 150 actually getting 300 today from just a router re-boot?

I just checked and I'm getting 335, I live by UVic. 

Did you pull the power cord from the back of your router and wait 20-30 seconds before plugging back in?

If its not working then go to their online chat or call and go through the support part to the point where they ask if you want to wait or go in the call back queue. 

I went to swap out my router yesterday at Uptown for the XB6 but they said because I have Gateway they need a tech to introduce it to the XB6 so they are sending a guy out on Friday to do this at no charge...Gotta give them credit for being so responsive

• Matt R. likes this

#693 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

Same here and at my parents' house.  We both have hardwired connections that we're running Speedtest on and we're both still at or around 150.

#694 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:41 PM

Got the 25 dollar antenna from Canadian Tire and put it behind my TV and am getting four channels clear as day including City TV and CTV. Cancelling my tv tonight.
  • sebberry and lanforod like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#695 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

Been paying for 150 speed from Shaw for the last 1.5 years and have yet to get 150 on a regular basis.  They are now selling 300 speed internet when they can't even deliver 150.

I also noticed absolutely no difference in upload or download speeds from when I was on Shaw 50 or Shaw 75.

It's a scam as far as I am concered, but I am locked into this contract for 2 years where my rate is frozen for 48 months.

I know a computer tech that worked for Shaw and he said they indeed THROTTLE internet speeds (which is a very dirty practice) 

Shaw Speed test. I think it's locked onto your IP address when you load it up and will always show you a speed as close to the plan you are on no matter how many times you run it. And even when you use an alternate speed test it locks onto your IP address and I think it somehow collects the data from your service plan with shaw and gives you the same result.

Basically I don't think I am getting the speed I am paying for, and never have.

I remember about 4 years ago when all of Vancouver Island's internet crashed to almost a complete stand still. My internet connection was showing 1mb/second, so I decided to run the shaw speed test as I still had a minimal connection and it would take about 60 seconds for a single page to load.  When I ran it, it showed my internet connection to be at the exact speedI was paying for on my plan. How could this have been when my computer settings showed me at only 1mb and the shaw speed test showed me at 50. I busted them right there on the spot.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 08 December 2018 - 06:22 PM.

#696 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:59 PM

If independant speed tests are showing your full speed, then you're getting the full speed.

In the past, Shaw had some pretty laggy DNS servers. Don't know if that's still the case, but you may notice a better browsing experience by switching to a third party DNS. Eg 1.1.1.1.

As of Friday, Telus is now offering gigabit internet in fibre areas. I'm on their 300/300 service so no point in upgrading because it's plenty. But man, remember when it took an hour and a half to download the latest version of Netscape? That wasn't THAT long ago....

Here's the pricing:

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

Edited by vortoozo, 08 December 2018 - 09:59 PM.

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:56 AM

Gigabit Internet. My god.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#698 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

We're late to the gigabit party. Both Bell & Rogers have had it in Ontario since 2015/6. Of course, Rogers doesn't have near the same upload speed due to the inherent deficiencies in cable vs. fibre.

Bell even has a 1.5 gigabit service. Regular price $110/month, less with discounts.

Telus still has some catching up to do.

#699 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:26 AM

They sure do.

Shaw is giving me 300+ mbit down, rock solid too I might add, Telus can’t even offer me internet at my house. I’m essentially two blocks off the main road!

At my shop, the best they can offer me is “Internet 6”, which is as it sounds. 6mbit down.

Rumour is Shaw bought out the local cable outfit a little while back and petitioned heavy for some federal infra bucks as the Shaw family has property here.

Matt.

#700 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:51 AM

When the techs came out to install the XB6 modem the other day I asked about BlueSky compared to my Gateway, he said to wait 6 months as there is a whole new system coming out where all your saved shows will be stored in the cloud not on a box at home. This means that you can watch your pre-recorded shows off your ipad or phone while travelling within Canada. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users