Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#701 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:30 PM

I remember when Victoria Cable was Rogers, and up Island had Shaw.

#702 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:18 AM

Spoke with Shaw today, and they informed me that, if you power-cycle your modem and it doesn't automatically upgrade you to 300 (or 600) mbps, then your in the "not yet processed" category.

The Shaw rep tells me that the "upgrade processing" isn't scheduled to be complete in Victoria until December 22nd, at which time everybody should have received their speed increase.

I'm still at 150, and will be obliged to simply stand-by until the 22nd for my upgrade ... although he did note that the upgrade (for my account) could also happen any time between today and the 22nd.

• rjag likes this

#703 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:40 AM

Yes, that is correct!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#704 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:52 PM

Yes, that is correct!

Of course it's correct  :confused:

#705 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:54 PM

When the techs came out to install the XB6 modem the other day I asked about BlueSky compared to my Gateway, he said to wait 6 months as there is a whole new system coming out where all your saved shows will be stored in the cloud not on a box at home. This means that you can watch your pre-recorded shows off your ipad or phone while travelling within Canada. 

I doubt that they are replacing Bluesky but perhaps upgrading it.

#706 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:04 PM

I doubt that they are replacing Bluesky but perhaps upgrading it.

I asked him if I should upgrade from Gateway to Bluesky and he told me to wait for 6 months for the whole new system....not sure if that means anyone with the existing system is restricted to their own internal storage or if they can also access the cloud and remote play to their handheld devices or not...will wait and see

#707 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:06 PM

I asked him if I should upgrade from Gateway to Bluesky and he told me to wait for 6 months for the whole new system....not sure if that means anyone with the existing system is restricted to their own internal storage or if they can also access the cloud and remote play to their handheld devices or not...will wait and see

Thanks for the update. Bluesky is only 1-2 years old which is why I doubted that it was being discontinued.

#708 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

^on support last night because I am not getting the full upgraded speed. After all the test, nothing so they offered to send out a tech. I said no I would wait as I heard a rumour a new system was coming and I would rather just do it all at once. She said that made sense, so...
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#709 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

^on support last night because I am not getting the full upgraded speed. After all the test, nothing so they offered to send out a tech. I said no I would wait as I heard a rumour a new system was coming and I would rather just do it all at once. She said that made sense, so...

You using speedtest.shaw.ca to test your speed?

#710 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:04 PM

Yep... I am maxed at 196/15
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#711 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

All the former Shaw150 customers should have their 300mbps from Shaw now.

Note that if you have a wireless network in your house, your speed test will invariably still give you less than 300mbps, sometimes substantially less (to the point where you may wonder if you've been upgraded).

I know people don't like to follow instructions, but the only way you can get an accurate test of your Shaw connection is with a piece of CAT5 cable, and a physical connection between your computer and your cable modem.

I didn't break 170mbps on wireless, but got up over 300mbps on CAT5 thirty seconds later.

Most Shaw home wireless networks are pretty lame, simply because they're powered by Shaw supplied modem/routers.

Unfortunately, Shaw doesn't supply a high speed modem by itself, thus allowing for the customer to install a high speed wireless router, or better yet, a home mesh network.

Those interested in the best wireless speeds, and who are also Shaw customers might be surprised to know that Shaw permits bridging of its modem/routers, thus allowing the unit to function solely as a modem (disabling the wireless router), thus allowing you to install a mesh network, and potentially hitting your highest possible wireless speeds.

It means digging into your router, and sometimes requires Shaw to remotely install a firmware upgrade, but it can be worth while.

I'm gifting myself a Google mesh network for Christmas ... I'll let you know if I see a $500.00 improvement in wireless speeds or not  :thumbsup:

Edited by Cassidy, 22 December 2018 - 06:01 PM.

#712 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

Those interested in the best wireless speeds, and who are also Shaw customers might be surprised to know that Shaw permits bridging of its modem/routers, thus allowing the unit to function solely as a modem (disabling the wireless router), thus allowing you to install a mesh network, and potentially hitting your highest possible wireless speeds.

It means digging into your router, and sometimes requires Shaw to remotely install a firmware upgrade, but it can be worth while.

I'm gifting myself a Google mesh network for Christmas ... I'll let you know if I see a $500.00 improvement in wireless speeds or not  :thumbsup:

In general, regardless of ISP, using a purchased router in conjunction with a modem in bridge mode will give the best experience and offer the most control.

• lanforod likes this

#713 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,008 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

Shaw will set your modem to bridge mode remotely if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.

I get well over 300mbps on my wireless devices with our google mesh network. No problems.

Power is still out at home but Shaw was on my street tonight stringing cable and fixing connections. I bet we are without power until Monday at best.

Matt.

#714 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:57 PM

The Velop linksys was the highest rated mesh network, I don't know price wise how it compares.

My shaw modem is in bridge mode just acting as a switch.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#715 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

A single Ubiquiti access point should cover most houses sufficiently.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#716 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,335 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:40 AM

Most decent wifi routers will do just fine, there is little need for a mesh network in most houses, and definitely not in a condo. One good router is all most people need. It's a shame that the ISPs don't just give you a good one to start...

#717 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:03 AM

Is the standard Shaw wifi router not good? I’ve been out of the tech loop for so long now that I hadn’t even considered that Shaw’s standard device could be ohtperformed so easily. Everything just works and there’s no need for more cabling and another device, etc. Or is there?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#718 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

Shaws wireless router/modem combinations are a bit long in the tooth, and some have firmware bugs in them that are no longer being dealt with by the manufacturers due to the products age. 

There are hundreds of pages on Shaws forums detailing the bugs, and complaining about the old tech being offered by Shaw.

Shaws products work fine for the average user, but if you have to wirelessly go through more than a couple of walls, or a wall and a floor ... you'll be lucky to ever see the speeds you're actually paying for.

If you're after painless installation and ease of use ... then Shaws products are likely all you'll ever need.

If however, you want to hit your 300mbps wireless potential 100% of the time, and in every square foot of your house - you're best to bridge your Shaw modem/router and install a third party wireless router that suits your needs.

In my case, I'm installing a Google mesh network, and anticipating 100% speed and 100% coverage in my 4000 sq.ft. home ... occupied by a bunch of (freeloading :) ) heavy wireless users.

#719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:16 AM

Ah, gotcha.

We just got a new router delivered. It’s rectancular and stands upright. I’ve never seen one shaped like that one but apparently it’s the newest.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#720 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 December 2018 - 09:55 AM

Ah, gotcha.

We just got a new router delivered. It’s rectancular and stands upright. I’ve never seen one shaped like that one but apparently it’s the newest.

I upgraded to the Shaw XB6 and its very good. My buddy who worked at Shaw head office indicated its far superior to the hitron modem routers but not as good as getting your own. It does have more internal antennae and so far is giving me better coverage throughout the house and outside than the older Hitron

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users