Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#821 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:47 PM

I still have cable because they offered me a great deal to stay.

I have every channel shaw has, then we stream Apple, Acorn and Prime.

My two favourite shows right now are Manhunt on Acorn and Tehran on Apple.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#822 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:56 PM

What did Shaw offer you for every channel?
  • Matt R. likes this

#823 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 07:46 AM

Think the last time I paid for cable was at least 2 decades ago.....

Commercials used to be a lot more fun now it’s all about guilting you into something. I guess they’re just taking what they can get these days..

https://headsupguys....campaign-video/

Edited by todd, 09 November 2020 - 08:03 AM.

#824 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:00 PM

What did Shaw offer you for every channel?

Not sure I know what you mean, for 300mbps internet, unlimited data, home phone with long distance and all Shaw HD channels and all movie channels, HBO, Crave, Starz etc. was $170.

#825 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:00 PM

My two favourite shows right now are Manhunt on Acorn and Tehran on Apple.

My Acorn favourite show was Mystery Road, just finished the series today.

#826 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:18 PM

Apples to oranges.  Most people are perfectly well served by a 25Mbps connection.  I'm on 75 because it wasn't much more when I switched from Juce to Teksavvy.

The big telcos have been wanting to force the 3rd party suppliers out of the market for years.  Shaw is regularly adjusting their plans to mess with the little guys.  It's not the lack of copper I care about, it's the lack of access to the 'last mile' of fiber that's the frustration.

So I'm on Shaw and 300 Mbps…  Am I way over kill if I will stream shows etc.  Limited use of other devices...  Is 25 really enough?

#827 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:17 PM

Only 5 mbps is used by HD quality streaming. A 25 Mbps plan is going to allow you to stream on multiple devices without buffering.

300 Mbps sounds like overkill unless you are looking to do online gaming, 4K streaming, large file sharing, live streaming broadcasts, or have several devices going at the same time. Even with these you could still be served by a 75 Mbps connection.

#828 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:19 PM

Only 5 mbps is used by HD quality streaming. A 25 Mbps plan is going to allow you to stream on multiple devices without buffering.

300 Mbps sounds like overkill unless you are looking to do online gaming, 4K streaming, large file sharing, live streaming broadcasts, or have several devices going at the same time. Even with these you could still be served by a 75 Mbps connection.

Ah thanks, I'll look to downgrade for sure, maybe leave shaw…  My son does have a play station though...  Will try something..

#829 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:24 PM

Don't go down to 25 if you're streaming or plan to stream 4k though.

• Ismo07 likes this

#830 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:35 PM

Oh, the good ol’ days of 500kbps when Shaw first launched its service. That was intense for us kids used to 56kbps, or the cool guys who figured out how to dual up the modems for 112kpbs.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#831 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:28 AM

I have the internet 300 From shaw ..
I think it’s about $120 with taxes ..Sounds like I’m paying too much.. no cable. I never end up watching it. I have crave tv, Netflix and several channels on amazon prime - who needs cable

#832 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:54 AM

I recently upgraded to the Shaw 1gb service and moved my cell phones over. So I'm paying $115/month for that but my mobile phones are $25/month for 25gb of LTE data and unlimited global texting Canada wide calling. My wife is on the $35/month plan which gives her unlimited calling to and from the US as well as all the stuff I get. We were paying Telus $175/month for a 10gb shared plan.

So I basically upped from 300 ($100/month) to gigabit ($115/month) and moved my phones over and we are saving over $100/month. I'm good with that. Been on the mobility for 6 weeks now and the service is no different than Telus

#833 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:39 PM

If the service is working I hope that means they improved it. Freedom was problematic a year ago especially with dropped calls.

#834 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 11:07 PM

I recently upgraded to the Shaw 1gb service and moved my cell phones over. So I'm paying $115/month for that but my mobile phones are $25/month for 25gb of LTE data and unlimited global texting Canada wide calling. My wife is on the $35/month plan which gives her unlimited calling to and from the US as well as all the stuff I get. We were paying Telus $175/month for a 10gb shared plan.

So I basically upped from 300 ($100/month) to gigabit ($115/month) and moved my phones over and we are saving over $100/month. I'm good with that. Been on the mobility for 6 weeks now and the service is no different than Telus

Problem is that you're now tied to Shaw for internet regardless of what they do with pricing.

#835 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,991 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 04:00 AM

Elon Musk's Starlink offers fast internet connections to rural Canadians. But it's not cheap

https://www.cbc.ca/n...anada-1.5831765

Buying the dish and other gear needed for the Starlink service costs $649, plus tax. Rekounas said he paid $820 in total. Users are expected to install the kit themselves. Then, it's $129 per month for the service.

"For a couple of hours after sunset and a couple of hours before sunrise… you will see more satellites in the sky than stars."

I wonder if they could use this as a low cost emergency locator for lost hikers etc.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2020 - 04:04 AM.

#836 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:19 AM

Hikers can follow the satellites to safety.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#837 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,991 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:26 AM

Hikers can follow the satellites to safety.

in all seriousness it looks as though you still need some type of dish to concentrate your beam strong enough to reach these satellites.  they are still 550km away. 

you are probably right.  hikers should just carry some type of smoke bombs or fire starters to make a signal for rescuers that are already searching.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2020 - 06:27 AM.

#838 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:33 AM

I am curious, though, if there will be some sort of an international challenge to this setup. So many lights in the sky, and without any oversight or limitation, has got astronomers and the scientific community up in arms. And these are just the first guys to install them. Who’s next?

Know it all.

#839 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,991 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:42 AM

I am curious, though, if there will be some sort of an international challenge to this setup. So many lights in the sky, and without any oversight or limitation, has got astronomers and the scientific community up in arms. And these are just the first guys to install them. Who’s next?

Boeing and (Canada's) Telesat apparently.  but market forces will force a limit on the number of providers.   

https://spacenews.co...constellations/

and as many commentators have noted, spaceX is the cheapest ride into space.  so starlink has all the advantages.

the article is actually a bit thin on details of how bright or numerous these satellites will be.   or even if a tiny bit of extra night light is even a bad thing compared to the real advantages this holds.  there is no doubt that thousands or even tens or even hundreds of thousands of canadians can't move to rural areas or at least spend more time at the cottage due to low bandwidth.  this is good news for cost-of-living opportunities. 

the set-up and monthly fees seem very reasonable to me.

360_tattoine_0914.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2020 - 06:50 AM.

#840 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:47 AM

No kidding. Hmm...

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users