Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1170 replies to this topic

#961 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:00 PM

Extending the motherboard lifespan. Lmao. Ok dude. Sure. All the other parts are going to wear out before your mobo does.

I've had them wear out (from CPU heat death). 

Throttling back the CPU drops the temperature by 20 deg. C (a good rule of thumb for chemical reactions is a doubling of the rate every added 10 deg. C), so, my computers last four times as long.  Any other potentially worn out bits are easily substituted with add-ons (DVD drive, keyboard, mouse for example -- I've yet to have that happen, though).

jbw

#962 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:14 PM

Wow.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#963 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:26 PM

my computers last four times as long. 

Awesome!  How many years do you get out of a computer?

#964 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:39 PM

Awesome!  How many years do you get out of a computer?

I'm sure it's running a current build of Windows with all the latest security patches.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#965 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 08:11 PM

FreeNet, man.  He's probably rocking BSD *nix on his 386.

• sebberry and lanforod like this

#966 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 February 2022 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, I don't know what you're doing on your computers to wear out the motherboard from normal usage, but whatever you're doing, its not normal. Maybe you're cheaping out on the motherboard to begin with, I dunno. If you go for a $40 budget board.. perhaps. 

But any normal build, with a proper use of thermal paste is not going to have the CPU fry the motherboard (or vice versa) at normal voltage and clock rates.

#967 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 February 2022 - 09:30 PM

But any normal build, with a proper use of thermal paste is not going to have the CPU fry the motherboard (or vice versa) at normal voltage and clock rates.

I do not 'overclock' my CPU if that's what you're suggesting.  I've only had one fry itself (one was ample, lesson learned).

jbw

#968 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 February 2022 - 11:07 PM

Nono. You're doing the opposite. Lol

#969 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:27 PM

But now, (and I applied yesterday, expecting news back in 3 weeks), Telus is offering us old geezers on GIS (even if you only get $1/yr as GIS), a $10/month rate (25 Mps or some such). 

jbw

UPDATE:

While I qualified, I'm told by Telus this week that my (highrise) is not 'set up' for 25 Mps, but they could provide me with 6 Mps on this program.  Oh, and by the way, they have a super duper much better and way more expensive service using wireless 5G, so sign up for that why don't you?  [noting, their call center is in Central America -- Telus seems reluctant to spend our money in Canada, hmm?]

Now, I used to have Telus internet in my building earlier (went from 6 to 10 to 15 Mbps) many years ago, so I'm reasonably confident this is merely a 'bait and switch' scheme. 

But before I go after them on this point, does anyone in the Victoria / James Bay area have:  Telus internet that includes 25 Mbps, which is what they advertise under this program, but deny as being available when being applied for?

jbw

#970 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2022 - 03:42 PM

^ it will be specific to your building. You should go knock on some neighbour doors and find out what their speeds are if they have Telus.

#971 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 04:26 PM

UPDATE:

While I qualified, I'm told by Telus this week that my (highrise) is not 'set up' for 25 Mps, but they could provide me with 6 Mps on this program.  Oh, and by the way, they have a super duper much better and way more expensive service using wireless 5G, so sign up for that why don't you?  [noting, their call center is in Central America -- Telus seems reluctant to spend our money in Canada, hmm?]

Now, I used to have Telus internet in my building earlier (went from 6 to 10 to 15 Mbps) many years ago, so I'm reasonably confident this is merely a 'bait and switch' scheme. 

But before I go after them on this point, does anyone in the Victoria / James Bay area have:  Telus internet that includes 25 Mbps, which is what they advertise under this program, but deny as being available when being applied for?

jbw

I'm no mathematician, but 6 Mbps > 56 Kbps, or whatever you're getting with Freenet.

You might have to underclock your processor more to deal with the higher speed, though.

• Matt R. likes this

#972 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 March 2022 - 04:43 PM

I'm no mathematician, but 6 Mbps > 56 Kbps, or whatever you're getting with Freenet.

You might have to underclock your processor more to deal with the higher speed, though.

Well, they're not offering to drop their price by 75% for dropping their speed that much.  so, no thanks.  besides, they come across as really icky

jbw

#973 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 06:06 PM

Well, they're not offering to drop their price by 75% for dropping their speed that much.  so, no thanks.  besides, they come across as really icky

jbw

It's $10 per month. They're not going to prorate it based on speed if the wiring in your building won't allow you to get faster service. Are you actually expecting them to offer the service for $2.50 per month?

It's likely that fibre service is available in your area but if your landlord/strata don't want to wire the property for it, there's not much Telus can do. It's still significantly less than the normal price for 6 Mpbs service.

Edited by vortoozo, 08 March 2022 - 06:06 PM.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#974 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2022 - 09:48 PM

It's likely that fibre service is available in your area but if your landlord/strata don't want to wire the property for it, there's not much Telus can do. It's still significantly less than the normal price for 6 Mpbs service.

Telus offered to run fiber in our building at no cost.  Strata president 'heard stories' about problems with other buildings and didn't want to put any effort into making it work.  We were going to coordinate it with other work that never saw the light of day.

#975 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 April 2022 - 12:01 PM

It's $10 per month. They're not going to prorate it based on speed if the wiring in your building won't allow you to get faster service. Are you actually expecting them to offer the service for $2.50 per month?

Well, yes  $2.50/month for less than 1/4 the advertised program's speed (6 Mbps vs 25 Mbps). 

Having dealt with Telus before (reminder:  when I called last month I found they'd outsourced their call center to Central America, it's not like they still employ many Canadians), it's predictable if I sign up they'll (again, like my earlier experience), let me (or maybe even cause me to) experience 'problems' with my Telus 6 Mbps service. 

For which they'll offer (like before) to upgrade service to solve the 'problems', only in this instance the price would be for their vastly pricier '5G' wireless service, doubtless with some nice sounding 'discount'.  Still, I suppose I ought to give it a try.  Normally, I'd subscribe to Shaw's $60+taxes/month service if and when needed (eg. when I need to re-rent my investment apt. and be responsive to online ads, but I've been lingering at pulling the plug this time -- getting a bit hooked on internet screen time.

Edited by James Bay walker, 06 April 2022 - 12:04 PM.

#976 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 06:09 PM

it's not like they still employ many Canadians

Telus employs about 25,000 Canadians, nearly 3 times as many as Shaw's 9000. Telus has call centers in Canada, Central America & elsewhere. Shaw also has call centres overseas. Hardly a reason to pick one over the other.

No, Telus will no offer service for $2.50 a month. $10/month is already a deal, 6 Mbps or otherwise.

Edited by vortoozo, 06 April 2022 - 06:10 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#977 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 10:16 PM

Old coworker who lives up in Telegraph Cove just got his Starlink box, don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger smile.

$800 for the kit, $130 a month no caps, and fast. 200mbps down and 30 up. I can see this being wildly popular.

#978 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 April 2022 - 01:38 PM

Telus employs about 25,000 Canadians, nearly 3 times as many as Shaw's 9000. Telus has call centers in Canada, Central America & elsewhere. Shaw also has call centres overseas. Hardly a reason to pick one over the other.

No, Telus will no offer service for $2.50 a month. $10/month is already a deal, 6 Mbps or otherwise.

Exactly. Telus, Shaw and every other ISP here is not going to shed a tear for not having JBW as a customer. If you want Internet, pay for it.

#979 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:00 PM

I think the issue might not so much be the location as the ability to understand the person on the other end of the line, which is the problem I’ve had with Telus. The cornerstone to every relationship is communication.

Would be great if we could all switch to Starlink and get rid of the wired networks they’re ugly and dangerous.

#980 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:35 PM

How are wired networks dangerous?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users