BUILT
Promenade on Jacklin
Uses: rental, condo
Address: 2771 Jacklin Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 4
Promenade on Jacklin is three-storey, one, two and three-bedroom rental complex situated along the 2700-block ... (view full profile)
Learn more about Promenade on Jacklin on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Promenade on Jacklin (2771 Jacklin) | 4-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

also why does langford always turn away oppertunities like this to grow, if langford hadnt turned down all the highrise proposals that they have had in the last few years the city would be as interesting as the vic core is(just not as old?) but instead here we are still with no skyline and nothing interesting to do unless you like hanging out at tim hortons or smoking weed with highschool students

#22 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

Just curious, but what other highrises has Langford turned down?

#23 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

also why does langford always turn away oppertunities like this to grow, if langford hadnt turned down all the highrise proposals that they have had in the last few years the city would be as interesting as the vic core is(just not as old?) but instead here we are still with no skyline and nothing interesting to do unless you like hanging out at tim hortons or smoking weed with highschool students

I'm curious, actually, what are you smoking? Langford has not really turned down any projects of highrise nature. Many of the APPROVED highrises fell victim to the financial downturn, in other cases in-experienced developers attempting to bite off more they can chew, or in-experienced developers proposing highrises but never following thru with re-zoning. Albeit Langford has accepted a tremendous amount of development hand over fist without any real long term planning, but your claims seem way off in left without any real basis.

#24 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

well maybe not turned down exactly, but it seems like langford is just cursed to forever be on the ground,Im only 17 and i am smoking weed so im no totally educated lmao but I grew up in langford and always wanted langford to be more than the dog patch but everytime you hear of somthing big happening and get your hopes up, it usually doesnt happen

#25 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

well maybe not turned down exactly, but it seems like langford is just cursed to forever be on the ground,Im only 17 and i am smoking weed so im no totally educated lmao but I grew up in langford and always wanted langford to be more than the dog patch but everytime you hear of somthing big happening and get your hopes up, it usually doesnt happen

Hey, well welcome to forum, its great to have "younguns" on board with all us old folks.

As far as disappointments, my friend, you have the largest new development on the South Island, Bear Mountain, you have Westside Village, and you have Skirt Mountain starting up, you have two tower cranes up on jobs that will eventually start up again. You have a number of projects approved, a number of projects proposed, and eventually you'll see your towers, Development takes time and market timing. Langford will be built up eventually, not tomorrow, but eventually. Have Faith. I know I'll be building there within the next 10 years.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

Marcat, are you referring to Bolzano and Highlander as the two projects with cranes that will start up again?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

If you are only 17 you are not old enough to remember when it actually was dogpatch, with one service station, no sidewalks and the Island Highway ran though it.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:22 PM

And lay off the weed. Seriously dude, I can smell it from here.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:27 PM

im old enough to remember before reflections, the condos beside timmy on goldstream, westshore towncenter, vet memorial, millstream plaza, bear mountain, langford station, the strathmore, waterstone, new town houses along brock ave, the remax building, or any of the big box stores came to town. maybe not forest like 40 yrs ago but dead enough

#30 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

I live about a block and a half away, and would love to see this go ahead at 14 storeys.

If it was right next door to you...would you feel the same way?

Tell the truth now........ I have my bullsh*t detector turned on.

#31 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

like i said though im young and not totally educated on this forum stuff, But I do love to watch the city of Victoria and surrounding area develop , especially my hometown langford.
and as for the weed hahahhaa langford way of life that and a nice 6 pack of lucky

#32 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

Marcat, are you referring to Bolzano and Highlander as the two projects with cranes that will start up again?

I'm sure he was as those are the only 2 projects with tower cranes still on them, although not active in anyway

If you are only 17 you are not old enough to remember when it actually was dogpatch, with one service station, no sidewalks and the Island Highway ran though it.

It wasn't that many years ago that is was embarrassing to even admit you lived in Langford. Anyone remember the Langford Man song that used to play on the Q. Times have changed now.

#33 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:42 PM

thank you concorde thats what i am saying, ill admit now adays langfords not to bad being a city it has it fair amount of city streets and buildings but with the building boom a few years back or even like 1 or 2 yrs back it just got me hungry for more, before that i WAS embarassed to admit i was from langhole

#34 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

Unless Stew snuck a crane up in Langford without noticing, yup, that would be the case. As Concorde posted, they are dormant projects, but eventually, one would hope that they would start back up in some form.

#35 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

fingers crossed

#36 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:10 AM

If it was right next door to you...would you feel the same way?

Tell the truth now........ I have my bullsh*t detector turned on.

Ok true, if it was right next door to me i may be annoyed. But to get a hundred or so people in the area pissed i don't get it. Unless of course you got a bunch of stuck in their ways folks, who are so opposed to change, that the installing of street lights pissed them off.

Its not like its a condo for loud punks. It's a seniors care facility. The loudest it will get is if bingo night goes long and the prune juice starts fermenting. followed by maybe some Matlock, and scooter races. http://www.vibrantvi...cons/icon10.gif (kidding)

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

Meanwhile Colwood is ready to approve seniors residences of up to 29-storeys in height.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 vicbc250

vicbc250
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

you would think langford would be more eligable right now to approve those kinda things,

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

I'd be concerned about the esthetics of these proposed seniors' residences. A highrise version of Ross Place or Selkirk Place doesn't sound particularly appealing.

#40 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

It wasn't that many years ago that is was embarrassing to even admit you lived in Langford. Anyone remember the Langford Man song that used to play on the Q. Times have changed now.

http://www.theq.fm/?q=qms_archives

The song is at the bottom of the page.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users