South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1062 replies to this topic

#541 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:52 AM

When Governor General Mary Simon was first named to the job, Canada’s language commissioner received 400 complaints and started an investigation.

Nunavut’s language commissioner was paying attention and taking notes.

“I wanted to take it as an opportunity for Nunavummiut to know that they do have these language rights in Nunavut,” explained Karliin Aariak. “They can receive service in the language of their choice, and if people don’t feel like their language rights have been respected, they can certainly come to our office, and we can insure that their language rights are being respected.”

Nunavut has three official languages; English, French and Inuktut.

Inuktut covers the Inuktitut used in central and eastern Nunavut and Inuinnaqtun which is used in the west.

Services are supposed to be provided in all three languages.

For Aariak, watching French language advocates oppose Simon’s installation was enough for her to pick up some of their tactics.

“Learning from the French language community, that’s how many people were passionate to say ‘hey, my language rights are not being respected,’ Nunavummiut also have this right,” explained Aariak.

https://www.aptnnews...anguage-rights/

#542 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,927 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:56 AM

Pauquachin First Nation

https://www.bcafn.ca...oast/pauquachin

Saanich Peninsula’s Pauquachin First Nation receives $41 million from feds for road closure deal

Payment compensates for deal Canada struck with developer that closed only land access to community

https://www.vicnews....d-closure-deal/

The compensation announced Friday (July 30) deal with a specific claim by Pauquachin First Nation over a road right of way through Hatch Point IR 12. An agreement between the federal government and a developer was made to close the existing road to the First Nation’s reserve land to facilitate construction of a gated retirement community and golf course.

The deal resulted in the Pauquachin losing its only route to legally access its community by land – rendering it effectively inaccessible – after a replacement road was never completed.

hatch point is across here in case you were searching for it on the peninsula.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 August 2021 - 12:04 PM.

#543 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:52 PM

^Not bad, $200k per person or $5M per band council member

Edited by spanky123, 03 August 2021 - 12:56 PM.

#544 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:17 AM

The chair of the Greater Victoria School District announced her resignation Tuesday night (Aug. 3), saying four Indigenous communities asked her to step down.

https://www.vicnews....-chair-resigns/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 August 2021 - 08:17 AM.

#545 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:07 AM

Memorial to residential school victims set on fire outside Calgary City Hall
Police service's hate crimes and extremism unit is investigating
https://www.cbc.ca/n...arson-1.6129871

#546 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 10:13 AM

Memorial to residential school victims set on fire outside Calgary City Hall
Police service's hate crimes and extremism unit is investigating
https://www.cbc.ca/n...arson-1.6129871

Yet the hate crimes unit does not investigate church burnings or monument vandalism.
  • Wayne likes this

#547 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:13 AM

Connection to country, culture and community is intrinsically linked to teaching and retaining Indigenous languages, a Flinders University communications expert says.

Flinders University Emeritus Professor Andrew Butcher, who has been researching Aboriginal languages of Australia for more than 30 years, highlights the importance of preserving First Nations language, including pronunciation and other details in a recent paper in three Central Australian languages.

“Across all of Australia's Indigenous languages, the most important message is that these languages need to be recorded before they disappear – as so many have done already – and, where possible, supported and revived in the communities where they belong,” says Professor Butcher.

August 9, the annual International Day of Indigenous Peoples 2021, warns the COVID-19 pandemic is exposing more than 476 million indigenous peoples in 90 countries to further inequities from poverty, illness, discrimination, and other instability.

The pandemic follows centuries of marginalisation and a set of different vulnerabilities affecting the health and wellbeing of indigenous peoples around the, the UN annual International Day of Indigenous Peoples warns.
Indigenous peoples are the holders of a vast diversity of unique cultures, traditions, languages and knowledge systems. Despite these difficulties, indigenous peoples have demonstrated extraordinary examples of good governance, ranging from the Haudenosaunee to the National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples.

https://www.alphagal...y/ItemId/211402

#548 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

utilizing some obscure language is hardly gong to move you forward in today’s world.

That article is rubbish.

#549 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 07:40 PM

obscure in what way? if you mean spoken by very few people, I can tell you in my experience I learned a ton about language in general by studying sanskrit and in all of india there no 1st-language speakers anymore. i probably wouldn't have learned more if i got a linguistics degree. if you mean dead or nearly dead, i also learned a ton from latin & syriac. i guess sanskrit has become as hebrew was at one time until ~1900, spoken only in religious ceremonies & studied by some obscure priests (or rabbis). speaking of hebrew, maybe you should ask an israeli about the practicalities of studying an obscure irrelevant language, and whether it has helped them any? or someone from ireland?

Edited by amor de cosmos, 09 August 2021 - 07:53 PM.

#550 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:18 PM

Latin remains a used language globally and used in our society, widely, today.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#551 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 August 2021 - 08:37 PM

"Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be: it killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me!"

• Brayvehart likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#552 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 01:47 PM

A program that provides emergency hygiene supplies to Indigenous communities across the province is in limbo after the RCMP pulled funding.

For four years, Soap for Hope Canada, a Victoria-based charity, has collected unused hygiene and linen products from area hotels. The materials were offered to 400 communities in need in B.C and Alberta, including about 125 Indigenous communities.

https://www.timescol...need-1.24350881

something is wrong with the system if a charity has to collect up hotel soap and send it to native communities.

#553 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 01:52 PM

^ Who says the charity has to do it? I haven't read anywhere that there is a shortage of soap on FN reserves.

#554 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 15 August 2021 - 06:09 PM

well it says this:

In some of the communities, people sometimes have to choose between buying food or hygiene products, due to their high cost. The program served as a bridge to personal hygiene and improved community health.

In Heiltsuk Territory in Bella Bella, news of the loss of funding prompted the leaders of the Qqs Projects Society to start looking for other transportation options.

“I’ve had community members step into our office in tears because, for the first time, they didn’t have to choose between necessities,” said executive director ‘Cúagilákv, who also goes by Jess Úst̓i. “This kind of community care is necessary and transformative.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 August 2021 - 06:09 PM.

#555 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:14 AM

A new study led by a B.C. scientist suggests that grizzly bear genetic groups tend to inhabit territory that closely matches the regions where people speaking similar Indigenous languages live.

In a journal article published earlier this month, University of Victoria doctoral student Lauren Henson and fellow researchers said the habitats of three major genetic groups of grizzlies overlap geographically with three Indigenous language families: Tsimshian, Wakashan and Salishan Nuxalk.

"It is an indication of how deep that relationship is between bears and people in the landscape and these resources that they both rely on," Henson told Carolina de Ryk, the host of CBC's Daybreak North.

The scientific team studied DNA in the fur of more than 100 bears that was collected over 11 years across an area of 23,500 square kilometres. The area spans from Kitimat in the north to Bella Bella in the south, and from Bella Coola in the east to Hartley Bay in the west.

Henson said her team worked closely with the Nuxalk, Haíɫzaqv, Kitasoo/Xai'xais, Gitga'at and Wuikinuxv First Nations to sample and analyze the DNA.

*snip*

Jennifer Walkus, a Wuikinuxv scientist who was part of the research team, said she isn't surprised by the findings.

"We and the bears have a lot of the same needs, and it makes sense that we stay fairly close to one area and we have enough resources to feed us," she said.

"It's definitely in line with the fact that most First Nations consider bears to be family. That is something that we're very closely tied to."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ities-1.6148400

#556 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:39 AM

That is a Phd thesis, the discovery that people and animals both habitat areas where there is a food supply?!

Edit: Just noticed it was UVIC, mystery solved.

Edited by spanky123, 23 August 2021 - 08:40 AM.

#557 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,927 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 08:40 AM

yes. strange.  

the irony is that many first nations now live in remote reserves and most of their food is imported.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 August 2021 - 08:41 AM.

#558 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:11 PM

That is a Phd thesis, the discovery that people and animals both habitat areas where there is a food supply?!

Edit: Just noticed it was UVIC, mystery solved.

It’s not a PhD thesis, and it’s not about the relationship between habitat and food supply. And the mention of UVic is in the SECOND SENTENCE.

Sheesh….
  • Brayvehart likes this

#559 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:32 PM

It’s not a PhD thesis, and it’s not about the relationship between habitat and food supply. And the mention of UVic is in the SECOND SENTENCE.

Sheesh….

Tongue in cheek my friend. It was a study, likely funded by your tax dollars. Even better.

#560 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 12:36 PM

Tongue in cheek my friend. It was a study, likely funded by your tax dollars. Even better.

All good. I do think it’s a very interesting correlation.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)