South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1062 replies to this topic

#721 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:23 AM

Loggers would burn ancient cedars? Are you sure they didn't cut them down, to sell the timber?

It's all economics, people.

Tuna (fir) fishermen kill dophins (cedar), to get to the tuna.  Why don't they just harvest the dolphin too?  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 September 2022 - 07:23 AM.

#722 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:25 AM

Ok ok, but I've never heard of loggers burning down ancient cedar trees to cut a path towards ancient fir trees.

Where's this cited?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#723 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 07:26 AM

Like, are we sure it was just wanton burning down of massive trees, or was there another reason for doing so, in some circumstances? Like a rotted out ancient cedar, that was at risk of splitting if felled? 

There's got to be more to this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#724 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:27 AM

Some hyperbole is expected with short hand but ya. Lots of waist to get at what is of value at the time. Also with spruce until the war happened. Read "The Golden Spruce" It is a great book with a slice of this history in it.  Or read Bull of the woods. A good bit of that is in Victoria. 

Same thing has been happening with sand believe it or not. Only now that it is getting more difficult to acquire are we valuing it more. Another great example is the south island logging doing major damage to salmon spawning grounds. On the boat we would also see the clear cuts right to the waters edge once outside the range of normal human eyes.

We NEED to extract resources. It's how we do it that matters. Economics starts with nature. If we can extract in a true sustainable and wholistic way nature recovers and we can continue to take from it's abundance.  

#725 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:33 AM

Ah, I see. Hyperbole is what muddies the water, though, and erodes good faith.

If we expect our industries to do better and our communities to be better custodians, we can't trade in hyperbolic accusations. The discourse has to be factual, sincere, etc. The 'tree hugger' movement isn't taken seriously because they throw hyperbole around, hoping it sticks. Then the public realizes they're fibbing bigly, and hardly any reasonable person trusts those kids even if some of what they sometimes preach could be true. Governments don't listen to them, neither does industry. So they end up peeing into the wind.

Know it all.

#726 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:00 AM

Ah, I see. Hyperbole is what muddies the water, though, and erodes good faith.

If we expect our industries to do better and our communities to be better custodians, we can't trade in hyperbolic accusations. The discourse has to be factual, sincere, etc. The 'tree hugger' movement isn't taken seriously because they throw hyperbole around, hoping it sticks. Then the public realizes they're fibbing bigly, and hardly any reasonable person trusts those kids even if some of what they sometimes preach could be true. Governments don't listen to them, neither does industry. So they end up peeing into the wind.

I agree. But this was a conversation not a presentation. I promise to do better If you read at least one of those books. The golden spruce is a good audio book and not epic in length. Good on many levels and a true story. The main character was a logger and the story needed historical context so it goes there. I like these books because they educate about our history in an indirect and yet specific way. 

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,160&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,140&sr=8-1

#727 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:04 AM

Very good, thank you for the links.

The remnants of our industrial history are all over this island. We think it’s pristine and untouched, but that’s a sentiment shared by people who’ve never ventured far outside the cities, I think.

Know it all.

#728 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:06 AM

Winnipeg mayoral candidate Don Woodstock blames Indigenous men for violence against Indigenous women

Comments made at forum on issues facing women condemned by rivals as racist

Warning: This story contains offensive comments.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...forum-1.6592621

The problem here, is that nobody that was opposed to his comments offered up an alternative, as to who is responsible for violence against Indigenous women.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 September 2022 - 01:07 AM.

#729 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:33 AM

Maybe racist but true, you're just not allowed to say it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#730 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 05:04 AM

To help the Esquimalt and Songhees First Nations redevelop the Rock Bay land they purchased from B.C. Hydro this year, the City of Victoria has instructed its staff to work with the Nations to develop a revitalization program that could include a property tax exemption for up to 10 years.

The program, which would start in 2024, would be designed to support development of the lands inside what the city calls its Arts and Innovation District.

https://www.timescol...owntown-5860627

Coun. Geoff Young said he supported the motion, but advised the city to keep in mind that any tax exemption would be to support development of the lands and promote revitalization, not for handing out money for temporary uses that may extend on for years and years.

“Look at the sites on the Inner Harbour that were used for decades as parking lots,” he said.

Under the Community Charter, to exempt property from municipal property value taxes, there must be a defined revitalization program. Exemptions may apply to the value of land or improvements or both. The exemptions do not extend to school or other property taxes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 September 2022 - 05:06 AM.

#731 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:48 AM

^ They don't pay property tax now.

#732 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:08 AM

My wife and kids are going to the Songhees powwow today. She isn't wearing an orange shirt though. I hope she doesn't suffer the yellow ribbon fate! 

https://www.songhees...h-island-powwow

#733 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:38 AM

My wife and kids are going to the Songhees powwow today. She isn't wearing an orange shirt though. I hope she doesn't suffer the yellow ribbon fate! 

https://www.songhees...h-island-powwow

You have to wear the uniform.

#734 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 05:43 PM

Bridge leading to former residential school on Vancouver Island vandalized with racial slur

https://www.cbc.ca/n...faced-1.6603528

It’s not good, but one must search pretty wide to actually find out what the slur was. I did, and discovered it. The news articles should have told us.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 October 2022 - 05:45 PM.

#735 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 06:51 AM

I didn't think it was hard to figure out considering the word 'child' has a c, h & d

#736 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:56 AM

Bridge leading to former residential school on Vancouver Island vandalized with racial slur

https://www.cbc.ca/n...faced-1.6603528

It’s not good, but one must search pretty wide to actually find out what the slur was. I did, and discovered it. The news articles should have told us.

In the 'old' days someone would have just painted over the graffiti and called it a day. If it is so traumatizing to people then why get it reported Canada wide and draw attention to it?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#737 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:01 AM

Because victimhood is more important than healing.

#738 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:00 PM

I still don't know what it was.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#739 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 08:04 PM

In the 'old' days someone would have just painted over the graffiti and called it a day. If it is so traumatizing to people then why get it reported Canada wide and draw attention to it?

Why paint it up that way to begin with? Celebrate success. There are many FN individual and group successes. Why highlight the negatives with big displays?

Non FN do not do this.

Why commemorate grievances, instead of celebrating successes? It’s a terrible way to look forward in life.

If your focus is making the next orange shirt day more impactful, instead of progressing an economic initiative in your community, where is the positive time and energy?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2022 - 08:28 PM.

#740 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 03:56 PM

American Indian (AI) adolescents who expect to relate strongly to their racial culture in the future are less likely than their peers to experience negative alcohol outcomes—like fighting with friends, being arrested, and memory gaps—even if they do not relate strongly to their culture now, a new study suggests.
https://medicalxpres...ve-culture.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users