South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1194 replies to this topic

#1161 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,087 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 03:13 AM

Well, if they can buy for $56,000 per acre and successfully take it out of the ALR, they might as well buy up the whole Peninsula ALR lands.  Make farmers very rich.  And the band.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2024 - 03:14 AM.

#1162 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,348 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 05:56 AM

And they could write their own building regulations. Maybe create some affordable housing for us all. Wouldn’t that be ironic.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1163 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,348 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 06:04 AM

I’m down for the bet. I’m well aware of all the money out there for them. It also doesn’t go all to them. Note the Sidney island money isn’t going to FN. nor a FN owned company or partnership. If government is giving out money most will take it. It’s why there are so many NGOs.

In this case, it’s too much of a surprise, zero virtue signalling from any government officials, and Tsawout has a history of going on their own. I’m not saying they are above taking the handouts. I’m sure no one here sends back a tax refund. But this transaction doesn’t fit the bill. Mike could probably find out with his channels.

I’ll bet you a burger and a beer.

#1164 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 06:04 AM

They are leaders in affordability after all. Almost all the cheap modular homes are on FN land.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2024 - 06:05 AM.

• phx likes this

#1165 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,348 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 06:08 AM

I think you’re thinking of the ones the government built for them.

#1166 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 06:09 AM

Burger & beer it is!

#1167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 06:25 AM

I think you’re thinking of the ones the government built for them.

I mean the ones that non natives pay pad rent for. Mostly on the west side of the highway.

There are also some homes on the east side of the highway that are more standard foundation, but with long land leases.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2024 - 06:27 AM.

#1168 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,348 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 06:36 AM

Ah yes. Those. Rebranding as tiny homes now! All the rage.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1169 E2V

E2V
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 08:42 AM

Perhaps after the Puckle Road lands become part of the reserve, something like the Jericho or Kitsilano projects in Vancouver is what they have in mind.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1170 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 08:44 AM

Lots would welcome that. Getting it done.

#1171 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,731 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 04:55 PM

The First Nations have already built a decent number of market rental housing in the region.

There will be much more in the years to come.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1172 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 10:37 AM

Dozens of members, elders and chiefs of 'Namgis First Nation gathered at the Mungo Martin House at the B.C. Museum in Victoria to celebrate National Indigenous Peoples Day and to celebrate wild Pacific salmon amid new legislation that could see the closure of open-net salmon farms on the B.C. coast by 2029.

https://www.vicnews....arm-ban-7404230

B.C. First Nations want apology from William Shatner, Ryan Reynolds after salmon farm video goes viral

But now the Coalition for First Nations for Finfish Stewardship is seeking an apology from the actors, saying the ad attacked the dignity of their Nations and their members.

“Sadly, this response from people like Mr. Shatner and Mr. Reynolds is all-to-common in today’s Canada,” the Coalition, which is made up of 17 First Nations, said in a statement.

“This is a classic example of a rich, elite, removed, urban white men overriding the wishes of vulnerable Indigenous communities, a reoccurring theme within the Liberal government and recent decisions made by politicians like (Natural Resources) Minister Wilkinson.”

________

Pacific Wild’s video “comes from a place of extreme privilege. You have these actors, these celebrities, that are, in essence, undermining the economies of Nations that have been pushed into poverty,” according to Singh.

The Coalition says Indigenous people work both directly and indirectly in salmon farming, a sector it claims brings millions of dollars to First Nations each year.

“There are nearly 700 Indigenous peoples working directly and indirectly in salmon farming, a sector that brings $133 million a year to First Nations annually,” the Coalition says.

https://www.cheknews...-viral-1211007/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2024 - 10:39 AM.

#1173 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,060 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 11:00 AM

The First Nations have already built a decent number of market rental housing in the region.

There will be much more in the years to come.

IIRC, The Songhees and Esquimalt FN have about 1,600 units themselves.

• Mike K. likes this

#1174 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 11:02 AM

Dozens of members, elders and chiefs of 'Namgis First Nation gathered at the Mungo Martin House at the B.C. Museum in Victoria to celebrate National Indigenous Peoples Day and to celebrate wild Pacific salmon amid new legislation that could see the closure of open-net salmon farms on the B.C. coast by 2029.

https://www.vicnews....arm-ban-7404230

B.C. First Nations want apology from William Shatner, Ryan Reynolds after salmon farm video goes viral

But now the Coalition for First Nations for Finfish Stewardship is seeking an apology from the actors, saying the ad attacked the dignity of their Nations and their members.

“Sadly, this response from people like Mr. Shatner and Mr. Reynolds is all-to-common in today’s Canada,” the Coalition, which is made up of 17 First Nations, said in a statement.

“This is a classic example of a rich, elite, removed, urban white men overriding the wishes of vulnerable Indigenous communities, a reoccurring theme within the Liberal government and recent decisions made by politicians like (Natural Resources) Minister Wilkinson.”

________

Pacific Wild’s video “comes from a place of extreme privilege. You have these actors, these celebrities, that are, in essence, undermining the economies of Nations that have been pushed into poverty,” according to Singh.

The Coalition says Indigenous people work both directly and indirectly in salmon farming, a sector it claims brings millions of dollars to First Nations each year.

“There are nearly 700 Indigenous peoples working directly and indirectly in salmon farming, a sector that brings $133 million a year to First Nations annually,” the Coalition says.

https://www.cheknews...-viral-1211007/

My point here of course, is that various FN do not agree.
  • Daveyboy likes this

#1175 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:28 PM

screenshot-x.com-2024.06.25-01_25_47.png

#1176 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 11:58 PM

Cowichan Tribes to assume control of its child and family services in August

Cowichan Tribes will not practice child apprehension and placements “that have alienated children from their families and our community for generations,” says the chief of Vancouver Island’s most populous First Nation.

#1177 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 12:30 AM

I hope this ends well. I wonder if we as a society would trust any First Nation to run their own spca / animal welfare program. I doubt it, given the extraordinarily disproportionate rate of animal cruelty that happens on res. But kids…. Should be fine!

#1178 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 12:34 AM

I hope this ends well. I wonder if we as a society would trust any First Nation to run their own spca / animal welfare program. I doubt it, given the extraordinarily disproportionate rate of animal cruelty that happens on res. But kids…. Should be fine!

It reminds me a bit of the blanket "no evections" policy places like PHS have.  

If there is no threat of child removal, how does that help correct parenting.  Moreover, does no apprehensions serve every child?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 June 2024 - 12:34 AM.

#1179 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 01:27 AM

I don’t think the punitive threat of child removal is what makes these parents do better- people whose kids are neglected don’t care enough to care…

Child removal happens for the child’s welfare. Putting a full stop to that is just consigning some kids to a hell they can’t be rescued from, right?

I sure hope not, but I can’t see how that isn’t the case. Of all the woke sjw policies this has gotta the worst in recent years.

#1180 Tony

Tony
  • 597 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 07:06 PM

The Cowichan Tribes have delivered prevention and protection services through its child and family service, Lalum’utul’ Smun’eem, since 1993.

It seems from the article that in reality the Cowichan Tribes have been providing these services since 1993. This is just the legal steps to make the change complete.

Any information on the success of their program since 1993?

Edited by Tony, 25 June 2024 - 07:08 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)