Photo

South Island Aboriginal and First Nations issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
1062 replies to this topic

#161 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:37 AM

We atheists love totem poles. They're cool. In fact, I love looking at religious artifacts. Just don't order my kid to worship it before school.

In related news, Vic PD has removed the totem outside the police station due to rot at the base. No word whether it will be replaced, restored or put in the forest to rot as per custom.

• Baro, Nparker and jasmineshinga like this

#162 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

We atheists love totem poles. They're cool. In fact, I love looking at religious artifacts. Just don't order my kid to worship it before school.

In related news, Vic PD has removed the totem outside the police station due to rot at the base. No word whether it will be replaced, restored or put in the forest to rot as per custom.

I was being facetious.  Somehow I suspect that the Uvic crowd would have different opinions about a 70ft Virgin Mary statue

#163 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

Well, to be fair, in the social acceptability stock market Indigenous iconography is outperforming Catholic iconography by a wide margin. Sell!

#164 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:19 PM

In our little backyard of a social acceptability stock market, yes. Globally? Fuggedaboutit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#165 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,142 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 04:04 PM

We atheists love totem poles. They're cool. In fact, I love looking at religious artifacts.

I love totem poles too. Here is one that we were lucky enough to acquire.

Totem.JPG

• Nparker likes this

#166 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:20 AM

I was being facetious.  Somehow I suspect that the Uvic crowd would have different opinions about a 70ft Virgin Mary statue

Prayer in school < smudging ceremony in school 

#167 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

When the Carolina Hurricanes host the Montreal Canadiens this weekend, the NHL game will be called in the Plains Cree language, a historic first in broadcasting.

Sportsnet and the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN) say it will be the first NHL game ever aired in a Cree language.

"It's a big deal for many, including myself," play-by-play announcer Clarence Iron told CBC Edmonton's Radio Active this week.

Live coverage of the Hurricanes-Canadiens contest will air Sunday on APTN at 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-cree-1.5064379

#168 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

I wonder what the Cree words are for things like puck, hockey stick, goal, goalie, penalty, etc.

#169 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

http://www.creedictionary.com/ has some words. i couldn't find penalty there but there are a few words for goaltender:

kanawiskwahtawew ᑲᓇᐃᐧᐢᑲᐧᐦᑕᐁᐧᐤ N A door keeper. Also goalkeeper. (MD)

okanawêyiskwâhtêmiwêw ᐅᑲᓇᐁᐧᔨᐢᑳᐧᐦᑌᒥᐁᐧᐤ NA doorkeeper; goaltender, goalkeeper (CW)

kanawêyiskwâhtêmêw ᑲᓇᐁᐧᔨᐢᑳᐧᐦᑌᒣᐤ VAI s/he is a doorkeeper, s/he is a goalkeeper (CW)

kanawêyiskwâhtawêw ᑲᓇᐁᐧᔨᐢᑳᐧᐦᑕᐁᐧᐤ VAI s/he is a doorkeeper, s/he is a goalkeeper (CW)

okipahowêw ᐅᑭᐸᐦᐅᐁᐧᐤ NA jailer, prison guard; goalie, goalkeeper, goaltender (CW)

at first I was surprised that there were that many but when I think of the huge area that cree covers (northeastern bc to labrador) it made perfect sense that there would be regional variations just like any other language, possibly even from one reserve or town to another. 'puck' doesn't turn up anything but searching for 'hockey' i got this, not sure if it's the same thing

atihkwasiniy ᐊᑎᐦᑲᐧᓯᓂᕀ NA hockey stone; caribou testicle (CW)
  • Mike K., Rob Randall, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#170 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:45 AM

highlights

https://www.youtube....bed/QSIYHLi8CjY

#171 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:33 AM

Library and Archives Canada (LAC) is pleased to announce the launch of its Listen, Hear Our Voices initiative, which offers funding and digitization services to preserve Indigenous culture and language recordings. This initiative is part of the institution’s Indigenous Documentary Heritage Initiatives (IDHI).

This initiative provides funding of up to $100,000 per project to eligible Indigenous organizations to digitize existing culture and language recordings, and to help them build the skills, knowledge and resources they need to carry out this work in their communities.

LAC invites all eligible Indigenous organizations to submit their applications by noon on July 17, 2019 (Pacific Daylight Time).

Interested parties can find guidelines, eligibility criteria and the application form on the preserve Indigenous culture and language recordings web page.

An Indigenous review committee, external to LAC and comprised of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Nation representatives from across Canada, will review applications and make recommendations for funding.

https://www.canada.c...recordings.html

#172 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

Not south island, but over on the mainland the Squamish FN (which is located in North Van, not Squamish) has revealed plans to develop the remnant of their downtown Vancouver reserve lands, which is at the foot of the Burrard Bridge. Planning for 3,000 units, most of which will be rental.

Kits is now scrambling with demands to be consulted, but Squamish FN effectively has a "get out of jail free" card, as the usual planning regulations don't apply on the reserve land I believe. Pockets of Kits are currently fighting against a 5 storey apartment which will "drop the ghetto" in the middle of "one of the treasures of the city." Quote via https://vancouversun...ng-in-vancouver

Edited by Jackerbie, 10 April 2019 - 01:57 PM.

#173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:03 PM

Can you pinpoint the exact placement of the land, J? Pls and thx.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

Squamish-Nation-lands-01.jpg

https://dailyhive.co...-vancouver-2019

• Jackerbie likes this

#175 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:17 PM

Interestingly, right beside the old Molson site, which was sold to Concord Pacific back in 2016.

#176 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:35 PM

Not south island, but over on the mainland the Squamish FN (which is located in North Van, not Squamish) has revealed plans to develop the remnant of their downtown Vancouver reserve lands, which is at the foot of the Burrard Bridge. Planning for 3,000 units, most of which will be rental.

Kits is now scrambling with demands to be consulted, but Squamish FN effectively has a "get out of jail free" card, as the usual planning regulations don't apply on the reserve land I believe. Pockets of Kits are currently fighting against a 5 storey apartment which will "drop the ghetto" in the middle of "one of the treasures of the city." Quote via https://vancouversun...ng-in-vancouver

Assuming that the reserve development will need to be connected somehow to the City's roads I would surmise that they don't quite have the "get of jail free" card that they think they may have.

#177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:36 PM

Thanks!

Know it all.

#178 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

Assuming that the reserve development will need to be connected somehow to the City's roads I would surmise that they don't quite have the "get of jail free" card that they think they may have.

The property exists outside of zoning restrictions and there is no requirement for a development permit. They'll negotiate with the City on connecting to and upgrading infrastructure, but that's about it really. Vancouver Council will have very limited involvement, and will have a very hard time putting up resistance to 3,000 housing units, most of which will be rentals.

#179 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:38 PM

Do provincial and national building codes still apply to developments on first nations land? Are any sort of inspections required before occupancy takes place?

#180 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:43 PM

Do provincial and national building codes still apply to developments on first nations land? Are any sort of inspections required before occupancy takes place?

It's murky. Technically, every FN has the legal authority to adopt their own zoning bylaws and building codes. I imagine that most (if not all) just defer to the BC Building Code.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users