Word! Down with the retail window tint.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

So I did the walk by today. The windows aren't tinted but I noticed something that I had not seen before. I had thought the store fronts undulated with the bits of pillars and stuff that stick but instead the fronts are a straight line behind these columns. Anyways I know fairly minor but I think they have perhaps killed small bit of the vibrancy by setting the stores behind this.

It has a whole new look!

#23 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

If we really want to make these businesses difficult to access, why not install a moat or a rope bridge or something like that?

Where on earth did Victorians get this idea that access to shops should be awkward? The streetscapes of the old city show us how things should be. Victoria provides all the examples we could ever need, and yet we improvise.

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

Hmm. I could have sworn these windows were tinted.
I wonder if someone was reading this and took it down.

#25 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

Some of the glass that is installed in new buildings is covered in a blue poly... I saw that on the Marriott and the Astoria.. Starlite windows, a local manufacturer I think, uses that for protection during construction.. and it will get removed on completion..

Don't know how that scores with LEED - probably one gets a LEED score is if avoids using stuff like that..

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Some of the glass that is installed in new buildings is covered in a blue poly... I saw that on the Marriott and the Astoria.. Starlite windows, a local manufacturer I think, uses that for protection during construction.. and it will get removed on completion..

Don't know how that scores with LEED - probably one gets a LEED score is if avoids using stuff like that..

Starline, but close enough. And yes, it's a BC company - in fact BCs leading window manufacturer in terms of gross sales. Yes, on request and for a price, they will cover commercial-grade (and high-rise) windows in blue polly.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

Today:

Yeah, those giant pillars aren't great are they? They don't appear to do much for the street.

Duncan the kitty predicts bad luck for the retailers.

A rare shot of Vicino's backside!

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

Who is the architect for Vincino?

And the Contractor?

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

Google sez:

Vicino Residential and Commercial Development
Cielo Properties Inc. Ph: (250) 592-9953
A proposed 4-storey, 32-unit residential and commercial development
located at 225 Menzies. Apartments would be above shops and underground parking. Rezoning has been approved. Architect: Davidson Yuen Simpson Architects & John A. Neilson Architects Inc.
Start: Sep 2005
Est. Cost ($ million): 15
Finish: Fall 2006
First Entry: Jun 2004
Last Update: Jun 2005
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#30 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

Yeah, those giant pillars aren't great are they? They don't appear to do much for the street.

Duncan the kitty predicts bad luck for the retailers.

No kidding! They're completely awful! Looks like lurkitecture... :smt087
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:01 AM

Lurkitecture!?

I like it!

It has a whole new look!

#32 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:01 AM

Yeah, "lurkitecture" is when you build claustrophobic, over-bricked so-called arcades that do nothing but stimulate one's imagination unpleasantly, so one imagines that there might be something or someone unpleasant lurking in the dark corners...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

I don't think the pillars have such a negative impact. I think they're work once we see it in action. (When the retailers move in.)

#34 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

I took a close look at Vincino yesterday afternoon..

The recent photo's make it look much "fatter", "sqautter" and less elongated than it really is....

Like may projects that are work in progress, additional elements need to be added... to the facade..

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

Today:

Here's a couple first shots of that assisted living building on Parry, behind Vicino. I'll leave it up to the ones in charge whether it needs its own thread.

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

Not too much has changed on the exterior here:

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:36 PM

What's the deal with that orange paint?

#38 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

I think this building is now complete- interior photos have been posted on the individual MLS listings & the listings themselves now advertise 'immediate occupancy', so the occupancy permit was probably obtained.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:17 PM

Thanks. I'll update the thread title.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

They must be having trouble attracting retailers here. I walked by earlier this week and it looked as if every spot was still up for lease.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users