Photo

Beach House | Saanich | Cordova Bay Road

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#41 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

So we are back to the pizza joint concept. Mid-April is a week away.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:17 AM

Across the street at 5109 Cordova Bay Rd., the Beach House has gone through extensive renovations, has new equipment, a relocated kitchen and upgraded services. Owner Kate Phoenix said she is aiming to open in the first week of May. She knows that the community is keen to see it operating.

...The Beach House will offer takeout food and soft ice cream.

http://www.timescolo...6423/story.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

Rogers ice cream by any chance?!

Any bets as to whether the first week of May is the lucky date?

#44 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

I thought Rogers ice cream was a thing of the past and that the Soda Shoppe downtown offers Island Farms ice cream. I may be wrong, though. I only went once.

#45 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

First of May. Drove by today and it doesn't look anywhere near ready.

#46 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I dropped in this afternoon and had a look around. It looks fantastic inside. Fabulous views with lot's of window tables and a nice bar.

The pictures are terrible as it was very dark inside compared to the light coming in from the windows.

The owner said she would be open in a couple of weeks. Definitely will be on my list.

#47 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Thanks Sparky.

Is the second photo still of the lower level or is the bar upstairs?

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Up stairs. The bar is on the opposite side of the room from the windows.

#49 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

So it is just the bar upstairs then?

#50 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

I am not 100% sure, but it looks like there is a bar area and a dining area upstairs. I should have asked to see downstairs. I will try and be there opening night and provide a more accurate report.

#51 sillyia

sillyia
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

Bar upstairs & downstairs. Dining in both areas. The downstairs is more of "The Bar" area Take out from the front.

#52 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria sillyia.

Thanks for the report. Is it open yet?

#53 sillyia

sillyia
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thank You for the welcome.

It isn't open yet. It has been a long haul with alot of bumps in the road it seems.
Looks like it is getting close though. No sign on the building as of yet & construction workers have still been there from what I saw the other day when I went past.

#54 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

The latest, latest opening date was "In May". Looks like they are close but there are only 2 days left in the month!

Makes you wonder how someone with Kate's experience could have so poorly underestimated the time and work involved in getting the restaurant renovated and opened. No doubt lots of people will show to give it a try but I hope that she negotiated a sweetheart deal with the McMorran family or else I can't see how someone can carry a property like this for almost 2 years.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

No doubt some of the delay can be attributed to municipal wrangling.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

In all fairness this waterfront building was built before I was born. When a project of this nature entertains a building permit, it involves a lot more than just a municipal process.

At the end of the day, engineers and architects need to provide letters of assurance in order to sign off a building for occupancy.

Saanich merely issues the permits and makes only 3 or 4 normal inspections along the way. It's the owners engineers that find all sorts of issues when renovating a structure this old, and this close to the sea and a cliff, that undertake the responsibility to ensure the finished product meets the latest BC Building Code.

The process is simple, and I have found that the Saanich building inspectors are more than helpful......especially if you ask them for help.

It is the nature of the beast that may have hindered the reconstruction of this particular building.

When I asked the owner a couple of weeks ago if she was on a first name basis down at the Saanich Municipal Hall.....her answer was "We had to do it right."

To me it would appear that this building will now stand another 100 years.

Did the construction take longer and cost more than originally planned? I would hazard a guess as to yes.

Was it worth it?....Absolutely. (from a potential customer's point of view)

Look at what was spent at the Bard and Banker and the Irish Times.

This will be one of the jewels of the peninsula.

I can't wait.

#57 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Do they have a chef yet? Haven't heard a thing!

Same with the Oak Bay Beach Hotel.

Matt.

#58 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Good questions Matt

#59 sillyia

sillyia
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

"Did the construction take longer and cost more than originally planned? "

Considerably so. The old building was essentially wiped out. Very little of the old building remains at all if any at this point.

"Do they have a chef yet?"

I am not aware of the name of who Kate hired. I did see it posted that they were hiring line cooks.

I saw the "Next" forecasted time for opening is sometime in June.

#60 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

I don't think that you need a chef to make burgers and pizza!

I don't know how you hire wait staff and line cooks when you don't have a firm opening date and have been delayed a half dozen times.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users