Mt. Washington Alpine Resort

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

So, they got over 1M of snow on Wednesday, so they are opening 2 weeks earlier than anticipated, they'll be open next Saturday the 28th.

And that reminds me, what ever happened to Forbidden Plateau, and Green Mountain, both active Island ski hills with lifts in the 70's and 80's.

http://www.mountwashington.ca/

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

According to this online guide, Forbidden Plateau is still around. But then again, other online guides still list the Holiday Court Motel on Hillside.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

I forgot about Mt. Cain. Looks like that's it.

http://www.mountcain...facilities.html

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

Forbidden had one chair and a T bar, Green only had a T bar. If I am not mistaken, I think that the lodge at Green burnt down, hence it's demise. I will be interested to hear from others about Forbidden.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

I recall a recent news article about Mt. Cain. I thought it was notable because it was run by a non-profit society.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Here's a TC article excerpt from 2007:

Now imagine running a ski facility with mostly volunteers. And doing it so well you win an award for "best community-run ski hill."

"You certainly have to put aside other things in your life in order to do what we're doing, as directors," says Helen Brown, the hard-working chairwoman of the Mt. Cain Alpine Society, which runs the Mt. Cain ski hill north of Campbell River. "It's pretty overwhelming. You're basically running an entire business from a volunteer standpoint."

While many of us on Vancouver Island -- even skiers -- have never heard of Mt. Cain, it's beginning to get some national recognition. A four-page spread in the latest issue of Ski Canada magazine extols its delights -- the powder snow, the small crowds, the 457-metre vertical drop, the underdeveloped beauty of the place and, not least, the tireless commitment of the volunteers who make this place come alive every weekend.

Two years ago, Ski Canada magazine recognized Mt. Cain as one of the country's best community-run ski hills. According to the magazine's contributor, Mark Mallet, "It's really the epitome of a community ski hill -- just a bunch of locals getting together to create a community-oriented facility where they can get out and just enjoy the sport. It's the antithesis of Whistler, and I love it."

The Mt. Cain ski hill shouldn't even exist. On paper, it's simply not feasible, or at least not profitable. In 2000, after struggling for a couple of decades, the society considered turning the whole venture over to a private owner. They hired some experts in the ski resort industry to assess the hill's potential and entered discussions with a private operator.
"Through that whole process, it became clear that Mt. Cain has non-profit society status for a reason," says Jones, referring to the fact that too few people live within close enough proximity of the mountain to make it a profitable enterprise.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

It is my understanding that Green Mountain was also operated by a "club." This was a great place to learn to ski.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

Maybe liability issues arose. Some of these were maybe on Crown lands, or timber company lands.

#9 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

Lifts at Forbidden no longer run (and alders are crowding the runs) but it is still a popular tobogganing area and ski tour destination because the road is plowed.

Currently, winter access to Green Mtn is a major expedition because it is so far up the valley, up unplowed roads on gated timber company lands.
I don't think this is what shut it down though.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

240cm mid-mountain at Washington today. They think they might be at 300cm by the time it opens this weekend.

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:21 PM

Vancouver Island is woefully under ski-hilled. One significant ski hill and one small community hill is all we have.

It is a shame that Arrowsmith and Forbidden Plateau were not still in operation. I always thought Mount Whymper would make a good location for a ski hill.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:54 PM

Arrowsmith, right.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

Mt. Washington got another 30cm last night, brings their mid-mountain base up to 460cm, which may be their biggest snow-load ever.

As usual, they will close this year not when the snow runs out, but when lack-of-interest sets in and people focus on spring and summer sports. Although now thet they are a year-round resort, I'm not sure if they keep one or two lifts going on weekends or the like to extend the season a bit.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Mt. Washington got another 30cm last night, brings their mid-mountain base up to 460cm, which may be their biggest snow-load ever.

As usual, they will close this year not when the snow runs out, but when lack-of-interest sets in and people focus on spring and summer sports. Although now thet they are a year-round resort, I'm not sure if they keep one or two lifts going on weekends or the like to extend the season a bit.

Meanwhile it was pouring rain on Cypress :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:10 AM

Well, only another half-metre of snow in the last 48 hours. The mid-mountain base is now at 621 cm. CRAZY.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Well, only another half-metre of snow in the last 48 hours. The mid-mountain base is now at 621 cm. CRAZY.

I was just thinking last night that they were going to pass the 600cm mark.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

I hadn't realized it was just rumour before, but Mt. Washington officials have now admitted that the resort is for sale.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

This place can be a wonderland but an investors nightmare too. With daytime highs usually around -3c, one has to wonder about the long term climate implications. I tend to fall more into the natural oscillation camp but still, small margin of error and $25 million goes *poof*

#19 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

7 degrees there right now, with 80 cm base and one chair not open due to lack of snow. Ouch.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

That's life I guess. I mean wasn't it last year or the year before they had a record season and were considered one of the top skiing destinations in North America?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users