Photo

Mt. Washington Alpine Resort

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#61 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,653 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:41 PM

Closing after tomorrow's half price skiing.

For the season or just until more snow falls?

Edit: Here are the details http://www.mountwash...now-report.html

Edited by Nparker, 08 February 2015 - 09:42 PM.

#62 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

Consider a cultural trip, perhaps?
http://www.snowjapan...rts/Madarao-Now
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#63 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

I wonder if ski operations are much of an 'investment' per se, in any case? The biggest company that I knew/know of, Intrawest, is in real estate, and uses(d?) a ski hill to attract property owners.
I know little of business, but I'd imagine, weather considerations aside, that the profit margins on a ski hill are pretty small, so I think that you'd run one as a labour of love of skiing, more than as a profit-driven enterprise.

Actually NS I was being facetious; my point was not whether a ski hill would constitute a good investment - you are correct in that Intrawest was very diversified beyond merely 'skiing' - but simply if current climatology models are even remotely accurate then we can expect this warmer winter weather pattern to accelerate and become the new norm looking ahead over the next several decades. Even I at the relatively young age of 54 can recall winter as a kid in the 60's and early 70's being significantly cooler with generally more snow even in Victoria, where as we all know it rarely snows to begin with. Not only do we seem to get more rain today but I've noticed over the past ~ 25 years the intensity of many rain squalls is much higher than I recall it in the past.

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:26 PM

Seymour and Cypress have both called off their season, last week.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...eason-1.3006484

Washington has been very quiet, no announcement, no snow, no updates even to their social media for weeks.

Mt. Cain called it off on Friday.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:15 AM

I don't think there's anything to update on:

big4.jpg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

Another no show snow winter for the most part. Can they survive?

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:07 AM

Another no show snow winter for the most part. Can they survive?

The good news is they don't really have any competition.  I imagine them and their financiers can ride it out.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

So they threw in the towel on April 2nd.

Here's the "ouch" part.

The resort was open for 52 days, so they are giving season pass holders a 50% credit, to be applied to 15/16 passes, not transferable (to another person).  No cash refunds.

6-Pak and Day-pass holders can apply their unused portion to a season pass in 15/16.  No refunds.  They might have other options for those can't or don't want to get a season pass for 15/16, but they will not have that info available until June.

http://www.mountwash....ca/pass-update

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:36 AM

SOLD

Mount Washington Ski Resort has been sold to U.S.- based Pacific Group Resorts. The sale includes all of the ski and recreational operations at the resort as well as most of the development land near and around the base of the resort. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.K39HQP89.dpuf

• lanforod likes this

#70 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

Likely the biggest short term improvement this new owner will bring in is snow-making. Their current portfolio has 100% snow-making (eastern resorts). The parent owner, Pacific Group, is a large company, with a lot of development experience, including quite a bit in Whistler.

I could see them expanding the resort to really make it a 4 season resort.

Edited by lanforod, 03 November 2015 - 12:16 PM.

• D.L. likes this

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

Likely the biggest short term improvement this new owner will bring in is snow-making. Their current portfolio has 100% snow-making (eastern resorts). The parent owner, Pacific Group, is a large company, with a lot of development experience, including quite a bit in Whistler.

I could see them expanding the resort to really make it a 4 season resort.

Yes, they have already said they'd like to take it "to the next level".

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,430 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

Fantastic news.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,576 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:24 PM

Agreed, great development. Anyone who spends as much time as I do at Whistler may recall what that area looked like once upon a time; the first time I skied there was 1978 driving up on little more than a goat trail from YVR and skiing from the original Whistler basin. "Four season resort" wasn't in anyone's vocabulary. There was skiing from November-April (Whistler only as Blackcomb mountain wasn't developed) and pretty much zzzzzz for the other 6 months of the year except for hardiest of outdoor souls.

Fast forward to 2015 and the area there in July-August-September is buzzing with world class facilities and activities. Hopefully the new owners can effect at least a scaled down version on Mt Washington. The snow making capability alone is huge.

#74 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:32 PM

It might help sell some of the condos that have been at Washington for years.

#75 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,324 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

How often is snowpack an issue at Mt Washington?
Snowmaking is great but you do still need -2 Celsius temps to do it.

#76 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:08 AM

Today

Sunrise Station 1485m

5:30 AM

Temperature: 0.6°c

Wind Speed: 19.3km/hr

Wind Direction: WNW

Wind Chill: -4.4°c

Raven Station 1041m  

5:45 AM

Temperature: -0.8°c

Wind Speed: 0.0km/hr

Wind Direction: ---

Wind Chill: -0.8°c

https://www.mountwas...now-report.html

Opening Day December 11th

#77 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:16 AM

ALERT

Attention Boil Water Advisory in Effect

Due to a major water leak a boil water notice has been issued for Mount Washington Alpine Resort residents.

There is no water available for any purpose at any Mount Washington Alpine Resort facilities until further notice.

Updated November 1, 2015 1:30pm

https://www.mountwas.../water-advisory

#78 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

I don't think there's anything to update on:

big4.jpg

Weird, this web cam picture has updated itself to todays date since March 2015.

• Nparker and Ben like this

#79 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

Weird, this web cam picture has updated itself to todays date since March 2015.

That's because it was a link to the picture on the website, which is updated by the cameras.  I didn't screenshot the image.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#80 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

That's because it was a link to the picture on the website, which is updated by the cameras.  I didn't screenshot the image.

Cool, maybe we need a thread showing webcams that continually update themselves, but lock it so that members can't post to the site or change anything.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users