Whistler Ski Resort

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:51 PM

Does Whistler offer low-barrier housing for the homeless?

What hours is their food bank open?   EDIT:  10-2 Mondays

Where can I get harm-reduction supplies?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:52 PM

Whistler Real Estate has seemed way over priced to me for a long time. Would be great if it stalled price-wise due to lower demand so that places become more affordable for workers there.

The ski pass prices have become too much to stomach the last few years as well. I've pretty much given up on skiing since moving to the island :(.

#23 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, the article I read about the sale to Vail stated that single day lift tickets at Vail are north of $100 USD.  But imagine buying an Epic Season Pass that was good for Vail, Lake Tahoe and now Whistler/Blackcomb.

Edited by Gary H, 08 August 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#24 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:11 PM

Does Whistler offer low-barrier housing for the homeless?

The homeless?  Whistler can't even attract Canadian youth to work up there.  Most of the employees have accents because they're from Australia.  Students on two-year work visas.  They come to ski and mountain bike and when they're not doing that they work in the restaurants, stores, and hotels.

Edited by Gary H, 08 August 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#25 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,676 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, the article I read about the sale to Vail stated that single day lift tickets at Vail are north $100 USD.  But imagine buying an Epic Season Pass that was good for Vail, Lake Tahoe and now Whistler/Blackcomb.

Whistler is around that price now. Last I checked, I think it was 129 CAD. There are ways to get tickets a bit cheaper, such as with an Edge pass, but usually involves buying multiple to get the price down.

If you're wealthy enough to travel around to those resorts and stay at them, as well as buy a season's pass, you aren't scrimping and saving anyways. It is nice if you live close to one to be able to visit one of the others and not pay lift passes I suppose. I suspect an all resorts pass costs more than a single resort one, though I don't think that is the case for Silver Star + Big White.

#26 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

I have never seem homeless people @ Whistler per se, and I've been skiing and/or partying in the area since 1979; however what you used to commonly hear stories about were tales of young Canadians working in the low paying 'retail' jobs, struggling to make ends meet and find affordable accommodation in a place dominated increasingly by champagne tastes.

Consequently "local" workers, i.e. Canadians, were often relegated to living with 4-5-6 warm bodies in older detached homes of dubious quality or some really tired rental apartments dating from the earlier years of the town, usually in areas generally south of the Village, like Cheakamus, Alta Lake Rd and Creekside before the latter went upscale. When Whistler started to really roll and costs began climbing ~ 20 years ago many local workers moved north to Pemberton and commuted. However today even Pemberton has acquired a certain cache and isn't the cheap panacea it was even 10-12 years ago. Thus exit many locals in favor of the influx of Aussies and South Africans especially......

#27 jonny

jonny
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:59 AM

Most workers seem to live in Pemberton.

And yes, lots of Canadians work in Whistler. There are lots of foreigners as well, but those tend to be the young, gung ho traveling type who work 4 months in Whistler, go home for a month, then work in New Zealand for 4 months, etc.

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ampaign_id=A100

Grouse Mountain is for sale

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

Take shorter showers.

The resort municipality of Whistler has introduced Stage 4 water restrictions in order to "urgently" protect water supplies after a break in a significant water main.

In a statement, the municpality says its reservoirs are currently at a "critical level" — the minimum required to ensure there is enough water available in the event of a fire emergency.

Stage 4 water conservation measures restrict outdoor water use to drinking purposes only. Community and local businesses are being told to immediately limit non-essential water use. 

Residents are also being advised to:

• Stop any form of garden or lawn watering; filling or refilling of pools, hot tubs or fountains; washing of cars, bikes and boat is not permitted.
  • Reduce water use by turning down or turning off air conditioners and any other systems using water.
  • Take shorter showers, and avoid any non-essential use.

Whistler Mayor Nancy Wilhelm-Morden says the break occurred in a two-foot diameter steel pipe on Tuesday around 4:30 p.m. on Lorimer Road and is impacting one of Whistler's main water supply lines.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...break-1.4787119

#30 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

/\.....yup they're in a bad way and very, very parched even up in many of the alpine areas.

We were up there a couple of weeks back camping and unofficially scouting possible fall fishing locations starting with the Cheakamus River just north of Squamish, then getting into the river ecosystems progressively closer to the village proper, including the Birkenhead, the Green and Soo Rivers; we were shocked at the extremely low river levels, even for this time of year when lower river volumes are to be expected and are typically the norm. I certainly would hope too that any restrictions also apply above all to the Nicklaus North, Whistler and Fairmont Whistler golf clubs. During a period of drought or semi-drought I cannot think of a bigger and more useless waste of limited water supply than a golf course. 

• North Shore and Bingo like this

#31 Wayne

Wayne
  • 530 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:26 PM

AllseeingEye, on 16 Aug 2018 - 6:18 PM, said:

/\.....yup they're in a bad way and very, very parched even up in many of the alpine areas.

We were up there a couple of weeks back camping and unofficially scouting possible fall fishing locations starting with the Cheakamus River just north of Squamish, then getting into the river ecosystems progressively closer to the village proper, including the Birkenhead, the Green and Soo Rivers; we were shocked at the extremely low river levels, even for this time of year when lower river volumes are to be expected and are typically the norm. I certainly would hope too that any restrictions also apply above all to the Nicklaus North, Whistler and Fairmont Whistler golf clubs. During a period of drought or semi-drought I cannot think of a bigger and more useless waste of limited water supply than a golf course. 

Money talks.

As an avid golfer I am amazed on the water requirement to maintain golf courses.

I met a couple from Palm Springs that told me they moved for the place they loved due to the humidity in the desert (Palm Springs) from the frequent watering of the area's golf courses.

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

Money talks.

As an avid golfer I am amazed on the water requirement to maintain golf courses.

I met a couple from Palm Springs that told me they moved for the place they loved due to the humidity in the desert (Palm Springs) from the frequent watering of the area's golf courses.

It does indeed; an old friend from here who went on to get an MSc in Oceanography in California spent much of his student and later professional life studying the water table ecosystems of the Western US, specifically the Colorado River which bar none is the most critical water aquifer for the western US of A and specifically for California.

Over time that key water table has sunk to critical historic lows and as part of his field work Greg discovered one of the very worst culprits for water waste all over the West and south West was golf courses especially in Nevada, Arizona and above all in California....

As he so succinctly and memorably put it after a few beers one day, "Well WTF do people expect blasting billions of gallons of precious water to hydrate effing golf courses overwhelmingly located in friggin' deserts!!" Turns out due to the intense solar heat reaching the earth's surface - especially in a desert - the amount of actual water reaching the ground ostensibly to irrigate the grass was massively mitigated by a simple scientific principle of hydrology called evaporation, resulting in a colossal waste of time, energy, effort and most worrying of all....water.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 16 August 2018 - 05:45 PM.

#33 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

ok well nobody is dying of thirst. domestic household use of water is more wasteful than golf courses.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,346 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

Makes you wonder how much water Whistler can collect in the winter but doesn’t, and how much is spilled.

To think we even have these issues in a rainforest environment is ludicrous.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,505 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 18 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

Makes you wonder how much water Whistler can collect in the winter but doesn’t, and how much is spilled.

To think we even have these issues in a rainforest environment is ludicrous.

On first blush you would think, but remember in the West (BC and Prairies) much of the water that irrigates the land and provides (what used) to be a relatively predictable water supply is a result of spring-summer melt runoff from the snow-pack from the Island, Coast and Rocky Mountains respectively. I first saw the Columbia Glacier up close in person in the early 1970's; I saw it again in 2006 and was stunned at how far the face of the glacier had retreated from the original Parks Canada viewing post beside the Ice Fields Parkway which connects Lake Louise and Jasper. We are talking a magnitude of decrease of perhaps 3-4 kilometers. It was quite staggering to see in person, and not at all in a good way.

Year over decade the snow-pack is decreasing at a steady and, in many places, alarming rate. Last I checked the island technically had 5-6 glaciers of which Comox Glacier is the best known. A UVic Geography department report in 2014 predicted they would all be gone within 25 years. 

The same general trend is happening along the Coast Range including Whistler; I first skied there in 1978 and have been going pretty much annually since the late 90's. Winter in the shape of sustained snow is definitely trending toward showing up progressively later than 30-40 years ago, and the (ski) season is ending on average a month or more than in previous decades.

Last year I was speaking with one the marketing folks from the muni and she mentioned they expressly and deliberately made the conscious decision in the early/mid 00's to build up the infrastructure for, and market the town as, a summer destination to compliment their winter appeal, since they determined it was highly likely that over time future snowfall would be less dependable and they needed to diversify their ability to attract tourist dollars year round.

#36 Wayne

Wayne
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

https://nationalpost...44-934035ba0ce2

Hypocritical Mayor of Whistler asks Alberta Oil Company to pay its “fair share” of the municipality’s climate-change costs.

#37 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:04 AM

^ Yah, it has backfired in a bad way. CIBC has pulled a conference out of Whistler, and they certainly won't be the only ones. The most popular response I've heard is people saying they will "do their part" by choosing to not drive to Whistler this winter!

#38 Wayne

Wayne
  • 530 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:12 AM

Plus the Mayor owned (but sold) a cab company and now owns "Transportation Whistler and RideBooker", which help tourists get the 140 kilometres to and from Vancouver International Airport.

#39 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,903 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:27 PM

Maybe we should just shut all B.C. towns down permanently if they aren't within walking distance of downtown Vancouver?

• Mike K. likes this

#40 jonny

jonny
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:22 PM

I'm sure nobody has flown in on a jet fuel guzzling plane from AB or ON or Europe or the USA or Asia to ski Whistler...ever.

I'm sure Whistler's heavy machinery doesn't run on diesel. I'm sure their generators don't run on diesel. I'm sure their guests and employees don't drive to work or burn natural gas in their homes.
  • Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.