133 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Wow, so it's finally happening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

We live in a time of bland, boxy architecture, it's a shame to demolish it. I'd love to tow it to the other side of the bridge where it could be a floating kayak rental/coffee shop or something.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#103 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

^ It was perhaps a little bit interesting in its form but on a whole the thing was poorly built (mostly just painted wood) and certainly did not fit the aesthetic of the harbour.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#104 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hey, when is that thing going to be gone from the Inner Harbour? It sure has been sitting there, all closed up, for some months now.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#105 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

Go back 1 hour :) Perhaps by end of day?

• Hotel Mike likes this

It has a whole new look!

#106 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

We live in a time of bland, boxy architecture, it's a shame to demolish it. I'd love to tow it to the other side of the bridge where it could be a floating kayak rental/coffee shop or something.

Or, a resurrected Princess Mary style sorta restaurant (we can't have too many of those imo).

http://www.timescolo...voyage-1.854809

jbw

editted to add:  Would it need to be moved?  I mean, there could be a lower eating area where we could enjoy watching the marine life while eating dinner (just like watching the Koi fish at Ming's).  And we'd get to enjoy this icon in the Inner Harbour for another decade or three.

Edited by James Bay walker, 07 March 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#107 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

They were just fish tanks out the window not the actual harbour bottom.

It has a whole new look!

#108 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

...I mean, there could be a lower eating area where we could enjoy watching the marine life while eating dinner (just like watching the Koi fish at Ming's).  And we'd get to enjoy this icon in the Inner Harbour for another decade or three.

For the sake of my sanity I am going to assume you are speaking tongue-in-cheek.

Edited by Nparker, 07 March 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#109 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Shot taken of it leaving the harbour on Love For Victoria's Like page.

#110 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

So beautiful. Hope it hits a reef on the way to the scrap yard!

It has a whole new look!

#111 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Harbour Icons

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

• D.L. likes this

#112 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

^

Both well past their usefulness. 

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#113 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Or, better yet, why not put a McDonald's location on this thing? They could call it the McBarge... something totally new and revolutionary.

McBarge+2011.jpg

Oh...

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#114 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Will be missed by few (can't say all by some of the comments on here).
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#115 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:38 AM

For those that are going to 'miss it' - have you BEEN inside recently?!

It was a depressing, stinky 'exhibit' that creeped even my kids out.

It *should* have been bright and clean and a showcase of what our waters have to offer (for divers or just 'normal folk') - instead it showcased a few fish and an eel that *sometimes* came out to be viewed. Perhaps in its hey-day it was revolutionary and a great addition to the Inner Harbour - but since atleast 1999, it has been a depressing icon of what COULD be but sadly wasn't.

Sadly, the Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre is what should be down in Victoria for tourists. And that isn't saying much.

• gumgum and tedward like this

#116 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

It *should* have been bright and clean and a showcase of what our waters have to offer (for divers or just 'normal folk') - instead it showcased a few fish and an eel that *sometimes* came out to be viewed. Perhaps in its hey-day it was revolutionary and a great addition to the Inner Harbour - but since atleast 1999, it has been a depressing icon of what COULD be but sadly wasn't.

Sadly, the Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre is what should be down in Victoria for tourists. And that isn't saying much.

With the exception of the RBCM, what is left of the downtown tourist traps exist to simply milk whatever they can get from tourists with the minimum of money spent on upkeep.

• LocalMom, bluefox and James Bay walker like this

#117 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Well, it was so long ago that I visited the UG it contained fish from the Late Pleistocene Era so I can't comment on the experience itself. I'd just hate to see the building itself demolished if it can be saved and if someone can install it, say at the Selkirk Waterfront. All weird and funky architectural buildings are disappearing--we need more of them. Fable Cottage is long gone, Anne Hathaway's cottage is going. I don't want it back as an attraction, just as some sort of service/retail destination.

Edited by Holden West, 08 March 2014 - 07:49 AM.

• sebberry likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#118 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Sorry need to put my two bits in here.

Since 1999 it has been depressing and even more recently it creeped your kids out.

Then why were you going there if it was so horrible and spending your money there.

How in the world could it be bright and clean when it sits in a murky muddy water with virtually no sea life in it but lots of garbage and pollution?

Wolf eels were coerced to come out of their den in that venue.

They are not social animals like dolphins who thrive on social interaction.

The Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre does quite well in Sidney. Why is it that people think it should be downtown. Sidney is a great place. People need to realize that the Victoria Inner Harbour is not the only tourist destination within the south Island.

If VHA gets it way the harbour will only be for rich people.

How would it sound if a Sidney proclaimed that the RCBM should move to

Edited by History Buff, 08 March 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

The front page of today's TC says the thing has been bought by Ralmax and they are going to see if they can convert it to offices.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#120 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

The front page of today's TC says the thing has been bought by Ralmax and they are going to see if they can convert it to offices.

IMG_0769-1.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users