• 7,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

Awesome zoomer!

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

Fantastic pics! I've never seen Pt. Ellice house from above like that. Shame that one of the most beautiful spots in Victoria is across the street from (in my opinion) the WORST address in the CRD--that grungy recycling depot.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

That warehouse type place next to the Delta. The one in the last pic across Esqui. Rd from Dockside land.
Anything happening there?

#24 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

Yah, it's really bizarre how Pt Ellis is an oasis in the light industrial desert.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:42 PM

Gum, this topic came up a while ago on SSP and I believe the last activity was last year when council did something like ensure that warehouse couldn't be used for industrial or something like that. No proposal as yet.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

That recycling depot is so hideous it's beautiful.
Mixed feelings if it were to go.
We're gentrifying to the point of sterilizing. We need the ugly necessities of life to offset what is cosmetically attractive - which all too often is painfully boring.

#27 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Gum, this topic came up a while ago on SSP and I believe the last activity was last year when council did something like ensure that warehouse couldn't be used for industrial or something like that. No proposal as yet.

Must be incredibly valuable land.

#28 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

Wow this has been such a great photo page....

keep em comming!!!

Anyone else have aerial shots???

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:53 PM

^^^Agreed. But that works more in theory. Think of the Regents Park residents furious about the Bottle Depot noise on Vancouver Street. Or the floatplane complaints by Saanich and Songhees residents.

Yes, we need good paying blue collar jobs in the city. I don't want one day for there to be only silk suit-wearing professionals and the baristas that serve them to be the only ones working downtown. I don't want all that industry evicted out to Blenkinsop or Keating X Road.

#30 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:16 PM

Any word on Budget Steel moving to Duke Point yet? Imagine the clean up bill for that site!
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#31 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:02 AM

I though Budget Steal was holding off on this move. Though weren't they being pushed out???

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

^^^Agreed. But that works more in theory. Think of the Regents Park residents furious about the Bottle Depot noise on Vancouver Street. Or the floatplane complaints by Saanich and Songhees residents.

Yes, we need good paying blue collar jobs in the city. I don't want one day for there to be only silk suit-wearing professionals and the baristas that serve them to be the only ones working downtown. I don't want all that industry evicted out to Blenkinsop or Keating X Road.

Just because people complain about something doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Victoria, being the paradise it is, is a prime example of: if people can't find something to complain about, they will invent one.
I'm not saying things don't need improving here, I just think that people don't realise sometimes how great things are in this city and in this country...but that's another thread all together.

#33 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

Wow, lot's of posts since your pics Zoomer, they were great, looks like hartland's expansion is going along smoothly, I wonder who's buying all the rock?

#34 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

not me! How much does rock go for nowadays anyways?

Here's an awesome aerials taken on October 22, 2006 by Tnano of Flickr fame. Someone needs to get this dude on VibrantVictoria!! How cool would that be, too have him on here, and maybe he can take our photo requests as he is a pilot!

his flickr site is here (it's been mentioned on here before):

http://www.flickr.co...tos/tnano/sets/

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

WOW!!!

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

We really live in a beautiful city.

#37 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

do we ever gumgum, do we ever! And once we redevelop or do something with those waterfront parking lots even more so! Plus several iconic pieces of architecture and Bob's your uncle!

OK, this is not of Victoria, but I still find it fascinating and somewhat applicable as most of us Victorians pass through this tunnel on the way to Vancouver:

Wikipedia:

The tunnel was opened to traffic in March 1959 with a construction cost of approximately $25 million.
It carries a four lane divided highwayunder the south arm of the Fraser River estuary, joining the city of Richmond to the north with the municipality of Delta to the south.

#38 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:12 PM

update..tnano has uploaded more pics taken today!

#39 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

Ok, a bit of a shoddy job, feel free to add or correct!

#40 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:05 PM

I think you just drew Pam's nightmare....the attack of the highrises....:)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users