Photo

Aerial photos of Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

#521 aastra

aastra
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

...despite all the new construction it's not making much of an obvious impact at this point...

I think the average person would have a difficult time telling the difference between an aerial of Victoria from ~1950 and an aerial from today. The building heights aren't very much different (up in some places, down in others), downtown hasn't expanded its footprint much if at all during that time, etc. When you compare today to the early years of the modern highrise in the late 1960s & early 1970s it gets even more difficult. Of all Canadian metro areas, Victoria's core has changed the least since WW2.

But how can that be? Victoria is especially tiny, as everyone knows. And development has been insufferably intense, as everyone also knows. So how can all of that fiendish new construction since [insert your personal favourite "best before" date here] be so difficult to spot? Methinks it's partly because the downtown area was and is much larger than most people want to admit, and partly because the new construction has tended to be "Victoria-sized", hence very few new buildings really stand out.

Suffice it to say, the mission to limit building heights and to limit the extent of the downtown area itself has been very effective.

~1980 (actually probably a bit earlier as per HB's reply below):

victoria-c1980.jpg

pic from http://gingert.net/i...toria-c1980.jpg

Edited by aastra, 23 November 2017 - 04:43 PM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#522 aastra

aastra
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Those are great pics. Nice job.

• zoomer likes this

#523 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ditto

#524 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

I think the average person would have a difficult time telling the difference between an aerial of Victoria from ~1950 and an aerial from today. The building heights aren't very much different (up in some places, down in others), downtown hasn't expanded its footprint much if at all during that time, etc. When you compare today to the early years of the modern highrise in the late 1960s & early 1970s it gets even more difficult. Of all Canadian metro areas, Victoria's core has changed the least since WW2.

But how can that be? Victoria is especially tiny, as everyone knows. And development has been insufferably intense, as everyone also knows. So how can all of that fiendish new construction since [insert your personal favourite "best before" date here] be so difficult to spot? Methinks it's partly because the downtown area was and is much larger than most people want to admit, and partly because the new construction has tended to be "Victoria-sized", hence very few new buildings really stand out.

Suffice it to say, the mission to limit building heights and to limit the extent of the downtown area itself has been very effective.

1980:

victoria-c1980.jpg

pic from http://gingert.net/i...toria-c1980.jpg

I think this picture is mid 1970s the JSB is still Black in this pic

#525 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,894 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

^ No tents?

#526 aastra

aastra
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

HB may well be right about the exact date.

#527 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

This is supposedly sometime around 1968-1970, but I'm not sure.

[I can't tell if Orchard House is 'finished' construction or not.  It was built by 1969, I believe.]

Attached Images

• 1968-70? victoria aerial.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#528 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 55,271 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

Right.

Orchard House was completed in 1969, so we could be looking at a photo in 1969 or 1970, and Roberts House (the big one next to it today) was completed in 1973.

• Kungsberg likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#529 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

That's John Wayne's boat "Wild Goose" tied up near the Coho.

• Matt R. and Kungsberg like this

#530 LJ

LJ
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

I met JW when he was in La Paz Mexico aboard his boat, which was a converted mine sweeper. We were both having drinks on the patio of Los Arcos hotel looking out over the bay.

• Hotel Mike likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#531 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

Should be easy the someone can research when John Wayne was in Victoria

#532 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

Bob Wright had one of the sister ships to this vessel, the MV Marabell, located up in Langara or Kano as a fishing boat.  We lobbied hard to get it down to Oak Bay to use as a party boat when it was being sold.  I think it's up in Langara still.  Lovely ship!

Matt.

#533 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,894 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:22 AM

I get a kick out of the smoke spewing out of the plywood mill.

If you want to know the date of the picture, there is a wood frame motel on the left hand side of the picture under construction.

There will be a copy of the electrical permit taped to a piece of switchgear in the electrical room that will have the date on it.

#534 aastra

aastra
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

Re: that "1980" pic, 747 Fort is there. In "Exploring Victoria's Architecture" the author dates 747 Fort as 1977. Is that correct?

#535 Nparker

Nparker
  • 25,463 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

... In "Exploring Victoria's Architecture" the author dates 747 Fort as 1977. Is that correct?

That sounds about right to me.

#536 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

Should be easy the someone can research when John Wayne was in Victoria

Sometime before he died in 1979.

Cocktails included the Bombay Stinger, The Bengal Tiger, The Tropical Itch, and The Bengal Bar Special – a potent combination of rye, curacao, pernod and Dubonnet. 

It was an instant success and became the place to catch sight of John Wayne who visited every time he sailed his converted minesweeper, the Wild Goose, into the harbor.  http://www.fairmont....60-anniversary/

#537 Nparker

Nparker
  • 25,463 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:25 PM

What is this "Bengal Bar" of which you speak? It sounds like it was an interesting and unique space. Surely it must still be popular with today's fancy cocktail set.

#538 aastra

aastra
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

Recent pics. Legato is looking good in the pic facing northwest. I'm realizing now that Legato coulda & probably shoulda been the most prominent building in Harris Green, if only it had been just a bit taller:

https://www.facebook...29493423910110/

• Nparker likes this

#539 Nparker

Nparker
  • 25,463 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

...I'm realizing now that Legato coulda & probably shoulda been the most prominent building in Harris Green, if only it had been just a bit taller...

But this is Victoria, where nothing is allowed to be taller than anything else. We're modest and prefer "sensitive density" dontcha know.

#540 aastra

aastra
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

...where nothing is allowed to be taller than anything else.

Correction: nothing is allowed to be taller than the great buildings of the 1965-1975 era. Those magnificent landmarks (View Towers, Orchard House, Camosack Manor...) must reign in perpetuity as the city's tallest and/or most prominent, forever standing proud as defining symbols of Victoria's glorious golden age. Everything that was built before or after that period can just shut up and sit down. The contest is closed.

Seriously though, Promontory looks great in that short video by the VAP folks.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users