Aerial photos of Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
579 replies to this topic

#561 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

Ok, that took me a few hours.. Lyra on Christmas Hill.

How about the Seniors care home on the old Blanshard Elementary... looks like a giant detention centre.
  • RFS likes this

#562 aastra

aastra
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Why would anyone want to detain giants?

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#563 aastra

aastra
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:05 PM

Lyra on Christmas Hill.

You got it. It's looking like a mini Camosack Manor in that first pic.

#564 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

You got it. It's looking like a mini Camosack Manor in that first pic.

To get a better look at the buildings in Victoria you need to be on the American side of Juan de Fuca Strait.

#565 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:15 PM

Apparently this is a long standing practice - have you not read Gulliver’s Travels?

I guess it’s a growth business for Victoria.

Sorry, this was in reply to Aastra’s comment on giant humans.

And yes, this is not a great angle. Should get a group together and rent out a plane for a better tour. Probably helijet, Harbour Air windows are always dirty and scratched, which is bizarre considering how much they play up the spectacular scenery component. Would it take that long for a dock boy/girl to give the windows a quick wipe before takeoff?

Edited by zoomer, 31 July 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#566 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,931 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:25 PM

Why would anyone want to detain giants?

To discover the whereabouts of their golden-egg laying geese?

#567 aastra

aastra
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:30 PM

Harbour Air windows are always dirty and scratched, which is bizarre considering how much they play up the spectacular scenery component. Would it take that long for a dock boy/girl to give the windows a quick wipe before takeoff?

We've officially and literally come full circle in this thread. Twelve years!
https://vibrantvicto...land/#entry4463

#568 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:42 PM

Whoaa.. that's awesome. I'm clearly predictable and totally ineffective in my criticism. Good to know I'll still be whining about this in the 2030s.. if all goes well.

#569 aastra

aastra
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:26 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. I wouldn't say you're predictable. For example, last summer you said "deck boy", whereas this summer you said "dock boy/girl".

Seriously, who could have predicted that? And how could anyone possibly predict what it will morph into next? Duck boy? Dirk Buoy? Howard the Duck? There's just no way of knowing.

August 2017:

Harbour Air, here's an idea - especially in the summer many of your passengers are tourists and you're selling the view - would it be so hard to have a deck boy spend 10 minutes before the flight washing the windows?

July 2018:

Would it take that long for a dock boy/girl to give the windows a quick wipe before takeoff?

• RFS likes this

#570 zoomer

zoomer
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

I’m at least evolving to be more sensitive to the fact that there could be/ should be dock girls, even if I’ve yet to see one. Deck, dock, dack, duck.. I think I’ve run out of vowels!

Seriously, once I retire I’ll volunteer to be a dock boy and wash their windows.
  • RFS likes this

#571 aastra

aastra
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:22 PM

...I’ll volunteer to be a dock boy and wash their windows.

I'm hardly a salty seafarer but even I know that docks don't have windows. (It would violate patient privacy.) Anyway, if it quacks like a dock....

Here's some more aerial footage from last summer, which happens to jibe nicely with the date of the previous post in this thread.

Rock Bay...

Langford Lake (I admit I'm really not very familiar with it, but I'm going to say there seems to be some development potential there)

And more aerial stuff from last May. I'm no expert but this would seem to have been filmed during normal daylight hours, while the floatplanes were still coming and going.

Speaking of images that Tourism Victoria never, ever uses... that shot of the Coho coming in with the Songhees behind is pretty nice.

Edited by aastra, 28 January 2019 - 09:32 PM.

#572 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

And more aerial stuff from last May. I'm no expert but this would seem to have been filmed during normal daylight hours, while the floatplanes were still coming and going.

Speaking of images that Tourism Victoria never, ever uses... that shot of the Coho coming in with the Songhees behind is pretty nice.

A quick Google says that person is a professional with both a private pilots licence and a commercial drone licence http://islandphotodrone.com/about-us/

#573 aastra

aastra
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

Here's another image that would seem to be ideal for tourism industry promotional stuff, even though you almost never see this sort of thing in tourism industry promotional stuff:

http://visionswest.b...toria-mt-baker/

• Nparker likes this

#574 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,931 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

Here's another image that would seem to be ideal for tourism industry promotional stuff...

That photo would be a non-starter. It suggests that Victoria is a city and hasn't anywhere near sufficient quaintness.

#575 RFS

RFS
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

I don't know, I think the video on the front page of the Tourism website does a pretty good job:  https://www.tourismvictoria.com/

Shows totem poles, boats, whales, the leg, the harbour, gardens and parks.   I think that is more or less what tourists come here to see

#576 aastra

aastra
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:13 PM

More hidden gems:

Drone over Victoria, British Columbia: Castles of Western Canada...

lived here my whole life, never knew they (Craigdarroch Castle and Hatley Castle) existed, what a shame...

#577 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:33 PM

pretty good new aerial video collage here on the website for victoria air photos.

http://victoriaairphotos.com/

in fact it'd make a good game to try to figure all the locations out.

#578 aastra

aastra
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:13 PM

That cluster of new houses on the rocks is in Sooke, right? Are they all the same design?

#579 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:14 PM

that’s spirit bay I think. they have some similar designs.

#580 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,078 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:27 AM

Depends which cluster you're talking about ... but I suspect you may be talking about part of Silver Spray - and their Sooke Point Ocean Cottage Resort.

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users