• 522 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:07 PM

I support a flatiron style building for Humboldt & Douglas :tup:

#22 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

Thanks!! :P

I just think it would look amazing, as long as it was a high quality building.

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:10 PM

Demolish the Executive house and have two flatirons side by side. It would be like Paris!!! Tres bien!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 Urbalist

Urbalist
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

It's a personal, two-minute plan, just showing the primary possibilities. Already the five-storey has been increased by Scaper through a friendly - and well-rationalized - amendment. This is a collaborative effort, your respectful improvements are most welcome.

#25 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

I have never though of that but that would look killer!!!

great idea!

#26 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

^^ thanks :wink:

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

I think 8-10 storeys would be comfortable for that site. It would be a nice transition in height to The Falls.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#28 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:19 PM

I agree with your original 12 story comment......(you lowered it) ?? I think the last piece of the puzzle for that whole block are those three properties own by Budget, The Strath, and the Helijet??? I think if they kept the proposed building (if they could work together) to the north side of the site(s) they could put a 22-24 story modern thin curved glass tower there and it would look awesome.

I also still have high hopes for the Crystal Court proposal across the street too. :-D

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

8-10-storeys sounds about right. So long as the design isn't boring we could have a phenomenal south entrance into downtown.

I'm thinking something along these lines, as illustrated by Frank D'Ambrosio for Douglas/Bay:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Urbalist

Urbalist
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:22 PM

My initial thought on the 'flat-iron' corner at Douglas (north end) was as a public space; to open up the entire streetscape which is dominated by the intersection. The additional floorspace gained by the tip of a flatiron isn't much. This area will be heavily used by conference attendees and tourists, so wide sidewalks and more open, public space (non-vehicle) is needed.

However, the south end could be flat-ironed, albeit not as sharply as the north end.

Great suggestions.

I like this site. Real people. Real ideas.

#31 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:24 PM

Forget the public space, this is downtown, build it right to the sidewalk.

#32 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

I agree with right to the side walk for the flat iron building...12 stories would have such a better presence than 5 -8.

As long as it was an extremely high quality design, and quality building material.

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

That triangular lot is a sweet spot, for sure. Anything more than a few stories tall would basically snatch the views away from the Executive House and the Marriott both.

The more development that happens in Victoria, the more amazing it is how some properties have been left untouched.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

^Anything too tall would also interrupt the great transition from the ultra low Crystal Garden to the dramatic staggered mass of The Falls.

#35 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

It would also be inconsistent and quite hypocritical to chop Aria down to 12-stories and then build something taller on the city lot right beside it.

#36 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:45 PM

VICTORIA TO PLACE BID ON CRYSTAL GARDEN

Jan 11, 2007

THE CITY OF VICTORIA IS HOPING THEY CAN TAKE OVER THE LEASE OF THE OLD CRYSTAL GARDEN BUILDING IN ORDER TO EXPAND THE VICTORIA CONFERENCE CENTRE.

MAYOR ALAN LOWE SAYS BECAUSE OF THE UPGRADES DONE TO THE CRYSTAL GARDEN OVERTHE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS, THE CITY WOULD ONLY HAVE TO SPEND ABOUT 2.5-MILLION DOLLARS IN ADDITIONAL UPGRADES.

LOWE SAYS THE CRYSTAL GARDEN IS A PERFECT LOCATION FOR THE EXPANSION.

LOWE SAYS IN ORDER FOR CONFERENCE DELEGATES TO CROSS DOUGLAS STREET SAFELY, THE CITY WILL LOOK AT OPTIONS SUCH AS A CROSSWALK OR POTENTIALLY A PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE.

- RS
CFAX 1070
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#37 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:46 PM

On A-Channel News tonight they also mentioned the possibility of developing the lot next door as well if the City gets the lease.

#38 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE !!!! PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE!!!!!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

Victoria eyes Crystal Garden for conference centre space

Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Thursday, January 11, 2007

The City of Victoria plans to place a bid for the Crystal Garden to expand its conference centre.

Its bid to take over the lease is expected to go against at least two other offers from undisclosed tourist-related businesses.

Council asked staff Thursday to fast-track an offer to take over the historic building, closed since the short-lived B.C. Experience attraction went into bankruptcy in September with a $9 million debt.

The city has until the end of January to place an offer with Colliers Macaulay Nicolls, the company handling offers on the lease on behalf of the bankruptcy trustee.

Finance director Mike McCliggott told council that rough estimates on making the building suitable for conference use could range between $2 million and $5 million; the city has $3 million in an economic development fund.

A consultant hired to look at the possibility told council expanding the Victoria Conference Centre, considered too small for the city’s size, would bring in an estimated $36 million to $40 million in economic benefit to the city.

Rod Cameron of Criterion Consulting said conference centres aren’t usually money-making businesses. Revenue potential for an expanded conference space “is not staggering” ranging from a $150,000 loss annually to a $270,000 gain.

Mayor Alan Lowe has several times voiced interest in using the Crystal to expand conference facilities, saying that the building’s landmark status would attract conferences to the region. On a more practical level, the present conference centre doesn’t have proper exhibition or ballroom space and the Crystal would add 25,000 square feet.

The Crystal Garden is owned by the Provincial Capital Commission which leased it to B.C. Experience. That attraction left 235 unsecured creditors owed $2.978 million and no hope of recovering money, as the lone secured creditor, Royal Bank, is owed more than $6 million and is entitled to any money recovered from the sale of the attraction's lease or its inventory.

A spokesman for Colliers could not disclose the names of other parties eyeing the Crystal, saying only they were top-notch tourist attractions and one was a private enterprise and the other not.

“Near the end of the month we will assemble with the trustee and decide which path is best to proceed with,” the spokesman said.

“At the point where we are deciding which horse to ride it’ll be what’s in writing that carries the day — and the money.”

While the Royal Bank and public trustee will pick the best offer, the PCC has the right of final approval.
© Times Colonist 2007

#40 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

This would be awesome!

VANCOUVER AQUARIUM WANTS IN AT CRYSTAL GARDEN

Jan 12, 2007

A DOWNTOWN AQUARIUM FOR VICTORIA? IT COULD HAPPEN, ACCORDING TO THE GREATER VICTORIA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE C.E.O.

BRUCE CARTER SAYS THE VANCOUVER AQUARIUM IS ONE OF SEVERAL PARTIES INTERESTED IN TAKING OVER THE OLD CRYSTAL GARDENS BUILDING AT DOUGLAS AND BELLVILLE STREETS.

CARTER SAYS AN AQUARIUM ATTRACTION WOULD BE A GOOD FIT WITH OTHER DOWNTOWN TOURISM OPERATIONS.

HE SAYS VANCOUVER AQUARIUM STAFF HAVE TAKEN A FIRST-HAND LOOK AT THE CRYSTAL GARDEN SITE.

CARTER SAYS THE CITY OF VICTORIA'S WISH TO EXPAND THE CONFERENCE CENTRE INTO THAT BUILDING IS A VALID IDEA, BUT SAYS THAT ISN'T THE BEST USE OF THE FACILITY.

"IT'S A BIT OF A BAND-AID ON THE CONFERENCE CENTRE SITUATION, TO BE QUITE HONEST," CARTER SAID ON CFAX 1070'S NEWSLINE P.M. PROGRAM FRIDAY. "IT'S A SHORT TERM SOLUTION, AND IF WE'RE LOOKING FOR THE 40 YEAR SOLUTION, THAT ONE MAY NOT BE IT."

CARTER SAYS THE CITY MAY BE IN TOUGH AGAINST SOME OF THE COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISES SHOWING INTEREST IN THE BUILDING.

"THE CITY IS ABOUT HALFWAY THROUGH QUITE A COMPLEX REVIEW OF HOW THEY'RE GOING TO GOVERN THE CONFERENCE CENTRE," HE SAYS. "IT'S A PRETTY TOUGH TIME TO BE DRAFTING A BID AND GETTING THE COUNCILLORS TOGETHER TO WRITE IT OUT."

"I WISH THEM LUCK, DON'T GET ME WRONG," CARTER ADDS. "BUT IT'S GOING TO BE VERY HARD TO COMPETE WITH SIX OTHER WELL-TUNED BUSINESS INTERESTS THAT DON'T HAVE THAT SORT OF INFRASTRUCTURE TO DEAL WITH."

- IRELAND CFAX 1070

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users