• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

I was just thinking about this today.

70% of Canadians own a cellphone, so I'm guessing that MFD cellphone ownership is higher, just because cellphone use increases with "youthness", and MFDs have a younger demo. I'm wondering if small MFDs even need a front door enterphone/buzzer anymore. When your guest shows up, they phone ya, you go down and get them. Doesn't work very well in a 30-floor building, but works in small ones.

I'm one that thinks it's very paranoid to be concerned about people sneaking into the bulding, you know, slipping in when you enter etc. I think 99% of those people are legit, and any that aren't are gonna rob from the parkade, not through suite doors. But many condos are very paranoid about front door security, and having NO enterphone sure helps security.

I also wonder what condos are using these days for parking garage entry? I feel we have an archaic one here, you roll down your window and enter a code, that maybe gets changed every two or three years, because it's such a hassle to educate all when it changes. Why not call a number from your cellphone? It detects you (call display) and if you are on the list, open-sesame. You can input that for one-touch dailing on your cellphone, and you and your co-habitant can get in no matter what car they are driving, and no rolling down the window. When you vacate the building, your number is deleted, the new tenant/owner of your suite gives their details to the manager/person in charge of enterphone. Sounds like a program like this could be programmed from a management company head office, no need to be on site. Overlap of old tenant, new tenant would not be a problem. Ya, there is stuff that can cloak or spoof a call-display for real sophisticated criminals, but are there more of them than the "sneak in behind a car before the door closes" b & e guys? One-touch dailing is allowed by new cell rules while driving, BTW.

#2 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

^With the mobile phone ban coming down very soon. I think anything that encouraged using your mobile whilst driving would be frowned on.

In my condo parking it uses a standard garage door dongle. You press the button on the little fob thing and the door opens. There is a pressure hose inside to let you out automatically when you drive over it. At the office you have to use your building key card to get in our out of the underground parking.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

^With the mobile phone ban coming down very soon. I think anything that encouraged using your mobile whilst driving would be frowned on.

In my condo parking it uses a standard garage door dongle. You press the button on the little fob thing and the door opens. There is a pressure hose inside to let you out automatically when you drive over it. At the office you have to use your building key card to get in our out of the underground parking.

They seemed to move away from fobs for a while. I suppose with cheaper transponders like toll-bridges, you might have that technology, that's not bad, but I suppose can vary with where you are when it detects it, might need to be in cooperation with a hose. I suppose a front license-plate detector is not that hard either.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:28 AM

Theoretically, you stop in front of the door, then make the call safely, that is the theory.

Where the hell are all the vending machines that should dispense me my chips and chocolate bars, pop and just tack it onto my cell bill? Do we even have any here? On the ferry? There were talked about 10 years ago.

#5 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:37 AM

^In Japan you can use your mobile phone to pay for vending machines as well as train tickets.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

^In Japan you can use your mobile phone to pay for vending machines as well as train tickets.

They got Salt and Vinegar chips (preferably Old Dutch), Dr. Pepper and Caramilk bars in Japan? If they don't have all three, it's not worth the trip for me.

#7 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

rfid cards are the future. They are used in many toll roads already.

#8 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

^I think Council can help, and in many cases staff and council invent innovative solutions, but it's not their job to do the proponent's homework for them.

But I don't think car parking is a deal breaker here. City Hall has demonstrated willingness to approve downtown buildings with no parking.

Yup, of course...my concern was not at staff but at the elected officials...the parking thing I mentioned was not cars but bike parking, i.e. a secure lockup specifically for the residents which in turn could be a revenue generator for the city...creativity and flexibility should work both ways. The restriction to internal storage is basically the main floor or basement (with a ramp leading outside) as I seem to remember there is only one elevator (been a while since I was in the place, correct me if I'm wrong) and with 100 suites elevator space may be a problem.

Mother-in-law just moved into a new build condo across from Beacon Hill and she had to buy her parking spots....she bought 2 on my advice as well as a second small storage locker to keep her bike and golf clubs in. She is renting one spot out to another occupant of the building which more than covers the additional cost but the future value of her unit is enhanced as it has 2 full parking spots and extra storage.

The secure parking area in her building has cameras and proximity sensor gates. There is a large caged area for bike storage.....in the last 6 months it has been broken into at least 6 times and lots of bikes taken or damaged. She was happy that she keeps her bike in a locker and not in the bike storage area. Its a shame as this building is really good and has good security but there are lots of ways to defeat that if they are determined enough.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

The secure parking area in her building has cameras and proximity sensor gates. There is a large caged area for bike storage.....in the last 6 months it has been broken into at least 6 times and lots of bikes taken or damaged. She was happy that she keeps her bike in a locker and not in the bike storage area. Its a shame as this building is really good and has good security but there are lots of ways to defeat that if they are determined enough.

Who's watching the camera feed?  It seems to me that it'd be easy these days to have someone, even 5,000 miles away, watching that feed every time the door opens.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

And the video feed would show someone with a black hoodie steeling bikes. Now what?

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

And the video feed would show someone with a black hoodie steeling bikes. Now what?

Press one button, it simultaneously calls 15 residents with a recording saying there is suspicious activity NOW in the parking lot.  Press the second button, and it goes to 911 Victoria.  The camera-watcher stays on the line with 911 describing the suspect(s) as police respond.  They will respond to an B&E in progress right away.

Another way is two-way voice.  Might not catch you the suspect, but it'll scare them away.  And if you believe police, there is only a handful of gangs puling this stuff off.  They will know to leave that building alone, and concentrate on the other 400 buildings around town with lesser systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huxMXKQeTQc

I don't know why more camera systems don't also have a monitor right at the camera, as the suspect will almost always look at the camera, now he can decide for himself if it has a good image of him.

• sebberry likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:44 AM

Who's watching the camera feed?  It seems to me that it'd be easy these days to have someone, even 5,000 miles away, watching that feed every time the door opens.

Sparky has an app for that, so you could see if he is available.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

I use dropcam

https://www.dropcam.com/

It let's me know when there is motion and/or noise, and I can talk to the perp.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

If every balcony had an electric hoist you could store bikes up there.

As far as underground security goes who watches that stuff at 3:00am.

A thief with bolt cutters can cut the lock and ride off with a bike in under 30 seconds.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

As far as underground security goes who watches that stuff at 3:00am.

A thief with bolt cutters can cut the lock and ride off with a bike in under 30 seconds.

That's why the camera systems are kinda useless if they are only monitored by residents.  A better system is needed.  A card/fob-lock on the door would also be a good start.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

I use dropcam

That looks good.  Cloud recording seems pretty sweet too.

#17 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Cops know its the same 3-4 guys and catch them in the park but the courts keep letting them out....

• sebberry likes this

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

I use dropcam

That's handy because then you can tell him to leave the big screen TV, and just bring you the Spode China Tea Cups.  :)

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

I use dropcam

I like this recent story from Arizona:

http://www.azfamily....-286504731.html

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:44 PM

My girlfriend's building's "secure" underground parkade was broken into the other day and thieves made off with items from one storage room. They were also seen on video looking into cars for easy items to steal.

Meanwhile downtown livability is all about posting speed signs on the tax payers dime.
  • Nparker, sebberry and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users