MFDwellings - lobby and parkade entry security

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

We need some good old fashioned super heroes in this town. A Batman in a dark corner jumping out and right when they are in the act and....

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

We need some good old fashioned super heroes in this town. A Batman in a dark corner jumping out and right when they are in the act and....

They are hitting at least one building a week, can't we bait them somehow?  Bait bikes with GPS thingys on them?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

It's not catching them that's the problem, it's keeping them in jail.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

It's not catching them that's the problem, it's keeping them in jail.

Possession of stolen property is a pretty minor offence, and that's what most get, when we find them with the bike hours, days, or months later.

If we can show the judge that the perpetrators cased the joint, used specialized tools to gain entry or to break locks, then that's an aggravating factor in sentencing for theft and b&e, and can bring heavier sentences.  So video evidence and catching them in the act helps in this regard.  So back to my point of having better surveillance. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

And they're in the community stealing things while awaiting their trial because the judges are too lenient about enforcing bail conditions. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

And they're in the community stealing things while awaiting their trial because the judges are too lenient about enforcing bail conditions. 

Judges don't enforce the order, they just set them.  But neither the police nor probation officers have the time to follow up and make sure they are being followed to the letter.    That's not the end of the world.  Something like 95% of cases never go to trial, the person pleads guilty.

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

Judges don't enforce the order, they just set them.  But neither the police nor probation officers have the time to follow up and make sure they are being followed to the letter.    That's not the end of the world.  Something like 95% of cases never go to trial, the person pleads guilty.

A friend of mine is a crown prosecutor, you should hear some of the stories he has about leniency in the courtroom while determining bail eligibility.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

The problem in an underground parkade or storage locker the thieves can make as much noise as they want at 3am.

Your vehicle is probably safer parked on the street with the door unlocked.

As for bikes, I would take them into my suite.

Heck I knew someone who took their kayak into their living room and hoisted it to the ceiling.

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

Not to mention the potential for a violent encounter if you come upon the goofs breaking into the parkade.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

Cops know its the same 3-4 guys and catch them in the park but the courts keep letting them out....

Sounds like the cops aren't doing enough good reporting.  One or two small errors and the courts will let the person go because the prosecution hasn't proven their case beyond a reasonable doubt

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

A friend of mine is a crown prosecutor, you should hear some of the stories he has about leniency in the courtroom while determining bail eligibility.

And probably as it should be.  When you go to a bail hearing, you are innocent.  And the trial is at least 3 months way.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

Not to mention the potential for a violent encounter if you come upon the goofs breaking into the parkade.

Chances are if you don't corner them in or try to apprehend them, they will run past you.

#33 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:31 PM

And probably as it should be.  When you go to a bail hearing, you are innocent.  And the trial is at least 3 months way.

When you have three dozen previous bail condition breaches, you shouldn't be left free to walk out of the courtroom. 

• Nparker likes this

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

We've had two instances where an intruder has entered a suite while the occupants were home.  They just acted dazed and confused and fled when discovered by the resident.

#35 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

We need some Castle Doctrine laws here.... Anyone entering your home does not have good intentions and should be dealt with accordingly.

• sebberry likes this

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

We need some Castle Doctrine laws here.... Anyone entering your home does not have good intentions and should be dealt with accordingly.

The notice on the door reads

Owner armed...

with silly string

This is Canada after all.

Enjoy your visit.

• dasmo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users