BUILT
The Hudson Mews
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 780 Fisgard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
The Hudson Mews is a 12-storey rental tower with ground floor commercial space. Developed by Vancouver- and Ri... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Hudson Mews on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson Mews | Rentals | HBC redevelopment; Phase II | 12-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#441 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

^Yeah, it was initially conceived as condos, then a subsidized housing scheme fizzled shortly after the ribbon cutting ceremony, then it morphed into market rentals. So the ever elusive title of newest rental tower continues.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#442 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

That is not true. While the concept was for condos the current design and product was always apartments.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#443 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

^No, there was a subsidized condo/apartment scheme proposed in between.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#444 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hudson Mews was envisioned as a hybrid market/subsidized development but the subsidized component fizzled out during the planning process. The tower then became 100% market rentals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#445 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Even subsidized housing would have been rentals though.

It has a whole new look!

#446 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

Yup, it was a rental tower from the get-go, partially subsidized or not. At the time plans for HM were being drafted Townline purchased the stalled Wing project in Vic West and added it to its TL Housing Solutions portfolio of subsidized rentals. The initial concept during the civic process was for all three towers to be condos but the market changed quite drastically since The Hudson was built (and even there some of the units have been rented out by Townline).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#447 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Is there a difference between apartments and condos? The words are interchangeable aren't they? Or is it just that condos are considered non-rental only...

#448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Yes, condos are for-purchase apartments, while apartments (often referred to as apartment rentals now) are 100% rentals. 20 years ago I guess the word "condo" was not quite as in vogue as it is now and the word apartment was used interchangeably. Europeans and increasingly people on the US east coast refer to a condo or a rental apartment as a "flat." I like that term.

Know it all.

#449 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Condo could also mean privately held rental.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#450 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

Yup for sure, but condo still works it's way into the description.

On the west coast the term apartment is almost exclusively referring to a rental property, be it one of many in a rental building or a private condo offered for rent, but the latter will always throw in the condo wording to differentiate it from an "apartment."

I've always found housing nomenclature rather fascinating. Every part of the world has its own thing going :)

Know it all.

#451 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Growing up in the mid west rentals where always apartments also....

Edited by sdwright.vic, 04 April 2014 - 05:38 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#452 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

From the Times Colonist http://www.timescolo...ilding-1.940775

Despite the delays, Ilich is confident the rental building will be full by the end of August.

“At last count, there were somewhere between 500 and 600 names on a list for 120 homes,” he said. Victoria’s low vacancy rate also works in the building’s favour, he said.

#453 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

The opening this weekend of a purpose-built rental building in Victoria’s Hudson district is part of a bigger rental revival taking place across the city, says Mayor Dean Fortin.

City hall approved $290 million in construction permits in 2013, and Fortin said there are more cranes in Victoria’s skyline today than during the city’s last building boom in 2006.

“This is part of moving forward the idea of having districts throughout downtown,” Fortin said at the Hudson Mews’ unveiling Wednesday.

The 120-unit rental building, located at 780 Fisgard St., will provide 83 one-bedroom and 37 two-bedroom rental apartments, and fill a demand for rental properties in the downtown core, Fortin said.

Last week, Victoria council approved another all-rental development, a 138-unit, three-tower complex at the corner of Cook and Pandora streets.

“This is exactly what we want to see, and when we talk to residents, this is what they want to see,” Fortin said.

The completion of Hudson Mews marks the latest chapter in the ongoing development of the Hudson district, said Rick Ilich, Townline president and owner. Townline is putting forward its next development application to city hall staff next week for an adjacent building.

“The district really is taking on a life of its own, anchored around the Victoria public market,” he said. Ilich thanked the public for their patience after a vandalism incident last November caused construction delays to Hudson Mews.

http://www.vicnews.c.../253819841.html

#454 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Townline is putting forward its next development application to city hall staff next week for an adjacent building.

Say what? No way. They are going to start on one of the adjacent buildings soon? That is awesome news. 

#455 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

City hall approved $290 million in construction permits in 2013, and Fortin said there are more cranes in Victoria’s skyline today than during the city’s last building boom in 2006.

Incorrect.

In 2006 cranes were up for Astoria, Belvedere, The Wave, Juliet, Aria I and II, Shutters I and II, Oswego Hotel, Dockside Green, Upper Harbour Place and a few others I'm sure I've forgotten.

Know it all.

#456 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Despite the delays, Ilich is confident the rental building will be full by the end of August.

“At last count, there were somewhere between 500 and 600 names on a list for 120 homes,” he said. Victoria’s low vacancy rate also works in the building’s favour, he said.

Pretty sure that's just registered to take a look.  We'll see how fast it fills up.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#457 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Townline is putting forward its next development application to city hall staff next week for an adjacent building.

Say what? No way. They are going to start on one of the adjacent buildings soon? That is awesome news. 

Perhaps this is just a mistake and it is the Hudson Walk project being referred to?

It has a whole new look!

#458 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Perhaps this is just a mistake and it is the Hudson Walk project being referred to?

Probably, but I hope not! I'd love to see those towers get built.

#459 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

What I read in the TC article was that Townline was going to request a development permit for Hudson Walk within the next few weeks.  Apparently they already have a permit but because they want "a bit of a variance" to the approved design they have to resubmit.

#460 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Apparently they already have a permit but because they want "a bit of a variance" to the approved design they have to resubmit.

The sad, underscaled design. :whyme:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users