BUILT
The Hudson Mews
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 780 Fisgard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
The Hudson Mews is a 12-storey rental tower with ground floor commercial space. Developed by Vancouver- and Ri... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Hudson Mews on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson Mews | Rentals | HBC redevelopment; Phase II | 12-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#501 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

I think it would be cool if a developer tried a "build your condo," system on their website similar to those of car manufactures.  For example, you could select the floor plan, then the floor level, then the colour palate, and options (hardwood versus carpet in bedrooms, parking spot, etc.).

If I was in the market I'd want it to go one step further.  I'd want full customization of the cabinetry, appliances, etc... 

I know there's a lot of problems with this but sometimes I find the options offered just aren't to my taste.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#502 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

Didn't Utopia in Langford do just that, allow you to pick all your own finishes etc.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#503 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Utopia is still mostly unsold and empty so not sure who would have been there to pick out finishings

#504 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

Didn't Utopia in Langford do just that, allow you to pick all your own finishes etc.

Yes, that was their gimmick. Now Chard is doing it with Escher.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#505 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

If I was in the market I'd want it to go one step further.  I'd want full customization of the cabinetry, appliances, etc... 

I know there's a lot of problems with this but sometimes I find the options offered just aren't to my taste.

By early enough and you will be given those options - but expect to pay a price for it.  When I bought my condo, I changed two things, my kitchen counter-top colour (same finish) and my kitchen and bathroom faucets (from two taps to simple uni-lever).   And IIRC the up-charge we settled on was around $500.   

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#506 mcmusty

mcmusty
  • 34 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

13 one bedrooms remain available at the Mews. 

Avg unit size in the building is 660 sqft. This has been a successful project for the Petersen Group, who had a quick lease up period since June and are yielding about $2.16/sqft in this market. 

Future phase, i.e., rock pit next door will contain 81,000 sqft of residential space with a smaller avg footprint of 570sqft. Another 8,000 sqft of commercial will help vitalize the area. 

#507 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

What form will that 81,000 square feet take?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#508 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

What form will that 81,000 square feet take?

And more importantly - when?

#509 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

13 one bedrooms remain available at the Mews. 

Avg unit size in the building is 660 sqft. This has been a successful project for the Petersen Group, who had a quick lease up period since June and are yielding about $2.16/sqft in this market. 

Future phase, i.e., rock pit next door will contain 81,000 sqft of residential space with a smaller avg footprint of 570sqft. Another 8,000 sqft of commercial will help vitalize the area. 

I'm not particularly sure what metrics you are using to measure success or where your information comes from. It has not been a successful project for Townline or Peterson Group and it is a struggle every step of the way. If it was such a success they'd be moving on to building more. The original timeline has dragged out substantially from the initial plans and will continue to do so. Rental was one way to start bringing in some positive income on this overall development.

#510 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

At $1225 starting rent it will be a tough gig to rent out the entire building in short order. I'd be surprised if they were over 50% rented.

Hudson is still selling units years after completion.

Know it all.

#511 smartstart

smartstart
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

At $1225 starting rent it will be a tough gig to rent out the entire building in short order. I'd be surprised if they were over 50% rented.

Hudson is still selling units years after completion.

Townline and Peterson are closing the leasing office at the end of the month, they have less than 6 units left and a wait list for one bedroom units.  $1225 is the starting rent, they are getting substantially more for units on the higher floors.

#512 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

That's good stuff.

When you say substantially more, how high do the rents go?

Know it all.

#513 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

That is good news. I'm glad they're doing well.

Now get on with those towers Townline! Maybe a mixture of strata owned and rentals would work.

• Nparker likes this

#514 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

my wifes grandmother (90 this year) was let out of her 1 year lease after it became apparent that the tub was way too tall for her to get in and out of easily and they weren't keen for her to install handles. beware oldies and check out the facilities thoroughly before entering into an agreement. Not real roomy, but decent enough for the youngsters though

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#515 mcmusty

mcmusty
  • 34 posts
  • LocationHarris Green

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Upper level units are being advertised for up to $1,975 with parking available for $50 and additional storage $50/month.

#516 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Thx.

Know it all.

#517 smartstart

smartstart
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

That is good news. I'm glad they're doing well.

Now get on with those towers Townline! Maybe a mixture of strata owned and rentals would work.

Leasing staff said Townline is working on a mid-rise tower for Hudson Walk (Radius hole) and that they want to start construction early in 2015.   Likely another rental project.

#518 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

Leasing staff said Townline is working on a mid-rise tower for Hudson Walk (Radius hole) and that they want to start construction early in 2015.   Likely another rental project.

Cool.

'Mid-rise' in the context of Victoria is terrifying though. A Victoria City Councillor would tell you a mid rise is 4-6 floors with a 10 floor building being a skyscraper. I recall the TC calling the upcoming Pandora rentals a "three tower project" which still has me chuckling.

I hope it's not an ugly, big, fat wide thing though. The Jack Davis Building is enough ugly, big, fat and wide for the entirety of Blanshard Street. Really what that corner needs is something slim, tall and much nicer looking than the JDB to diminish the dominance that building has on the block.

#519 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

Not that this will surprise anyone here, but the JDB was heralded as a cutting-edge landmark when it first opened in the 1990s. When did Victoria's love for the "fatscraper" begin?

#520 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Everybody hates View Tower but we seem to love miniature fat and wide versions of that building.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users