BUILT
The Hudson Mews
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 780 Fisgard Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
The Hudson Mews is a 12-storey rental tower with ground floor commercial space. Developed by Vancouver- and Ri... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Hudson Mews on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Hudson Mews | Rentals | HBC redevelopment; Phase II | 12-storeys | Built - completed in 2014

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#61 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:15 PM

90 units for $32m is $355k a unit. Which is more expensive than units in 832 johnson are being sold for and around the average of what units in juliet went for. There are also those heritage conversions for $199k on lower yates. I'm not sure how all the finishings compare but if the City can buy units at market price in existing projects for less money I'd wager to say they didn't get a good deal.

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Does the $32-million include the cost of developing the market units (some 30 units)?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

^I was wondering that too. And who owns the market units? The City or Townline. If its the city then my numbers are off and the cost is $266k per unit. If townline gets them, then its an even sweeter deal for them.

#64 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:32 PM

^I was wondering that too. And who owns the market units? The City or Townline. If its the city then my numbers are off and the cost is $266k per unit. If townline gets them, then its an even sweeter deal for them.

"The Province is seeking a non-profit housing provider for Hudson Mews through an Expression of Interest (EOI). The successful proponent will own and administer the rental units and oversee the sale of the affordable homeownership units. The Province will provide interim construction financing and arrange take-out mortgage financing that will be debt serviced by the rental revenues. The City of Victoria will contribute an $800,000 grant to the project from the Victoria Housing fund. "

"The City of Victoria will provide an $800,000 grant towards the rental units ($10,000 per unit)"

BC housing:
http://www.bchousing...rue&pageNumber=

#65 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

There is a discrepancy between media reports and City Hall docs relating to the height of this tower. Is is 12-storeys, as reported by City Hall, or 13-storeys, as reported by media?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

Someone could be superstitious. Years ago I lived in an apartment that was numbered 1404, but was actually on the 13th floor. It was the last floor in a new building to be rented.

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

Referring to the 13th floor as the 14th is common (perhaps even standard), but the building would still be referred to as having 13-storeys.

Know it all.

#68 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

So are there any renderings of what this is going to look like?

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Know it all.

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

This project might as well be tagged as under construction.

Know it all.

#71 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

Yeah I'm kinda shocked by the lack of renderings. I haven't seen much since the originals and a few very basic undetailed massing updates.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

At least you've seen those. I don't think the general public has been thrown any bones thus far.

Know it all.

#73 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

I have seen nothing. I think this is the first time in my memory that I have no idea what a building that is going up will look like.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

Hudson crane moved to service second phase of project
By Mike Kozakowski, VibrantVictoria.ca
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/?p=2342

The Hudson’s construction crane, towering over the department store renovation since 2008, is coming down.

It won’t be going far, however, as construction on the second phase of the Hudson Place development, dubbed The Hudson Mews, moves into full swing along Fisgard Street. [...]

Know it all.

#75 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

How can we still not have seen a rendering on this. It is brutal. I am just going to assume it is ugly until proved otherwise.

#76 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Call me a cynic, but since the city already approved and paid for the project there is no reason for the developer to release any renderings. This project hasn't had much transparency so far I wouldn't much in the future.

#77 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

I vaguely remember seeing a low-quality rendering online somewhere. If I remember correctly, there was a distinct difference between the appearance of the lower 10 floors and the ones above.

It would be nice to see more detail, like how the street interaction is. This must have been available at a city council hearing.

#78 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

I don't understand how there can not be a great picture of a building that is actually under construction ... was 12 floors the original design or was it 14 before the city said ... shave two floors ... it sure is a shame that the building with the proposed art gallery space downtown was nixed because some far sighted councilor thought it should be two floors shorter … so now it’s a boarded up motel … great.

I am just back from Puerto Vallarta … they call themselves “the friendliest city in the world” and it is. Clean, safe, friendly … no down and outs laying in doorways … no drug addicts shooting up in the streets … they have two marinas filled with beautiful boats … they have tall beautiful buildings … they have downtown and old town … they have a causeway filled with buskers, art, music, restaurants and bars, there city hall square is filled with people and kiosks’ and music at night … same population as Victoria … no comparison at all between the two cities … Puerto Vallarta is a vibrant city … Victoria, a vibrant city … you must be kidding!

#79 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

I don't understand how there can not be a great picture of a building that is actually under construction ... was 12 floors the original design or was it 14 before the city said ... shave two floors ... it sure is a shame that the building with the proposed art gallery space downtown was nixed because some far sighted councilor thought it should be two floors shorter … so now it’s a boarded up motel … great.

I am just back from Puerto Vallarta … they call themselves “the friendliest city in the world” and it is. Clean, safe, friendly … no down and outs laying in doorways … no drug addicts shooting up in the streets … they have two marinas filled with beautiful boats … they have tall beautiful buildings … they have downtown and old town … they have a causeway filled with buskers, art, music, restaurants and bars, there city hall square is filled with people and kiosks’ and music at night … same population as Victoria … no comparison at all between the two cities … Puerto Vallarta is a vibrant city … Victoria, a vibrant city … you must be kidding!

same population, but there is probably double that in tourists around that area.

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

The culture/nightlife of many smaller Mexican towns puts even large North American cities to shame. Canada and the United States cannot be compared to a nation that has a very different approach to culture and engagement in public spaces.

As for tourism meccas in Mexico, they are what they are because the government works very hard to put up facades for tourists. They don't want you to see what's behind the veil, but man, when you venture out beyond the tourist zones...

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users