Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#2161 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:51 AM

^ It was a bit of a rant about the Overpass taking forever to get done, and I chose Horgan as it was the BC Gov that planned it and is running it;

https://www2.gov.bc....zie-interchange

And yes, I drew parallels between the mismanagement of the Bridge and that if they aren't careful, the Overpass.  I never said it was the same group running both.

Now back to my rant :)  Ironically had the local neighbours not complained, it would have been done long ago.  It states it should be completed in the summer of 2020 but there is still a lot to do.

#2162 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,959 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:58 AM

once they open the one ramp won't most all of it be done - operationally?  then just some tidying up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2020 - 09:58 AM.

#2163 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

It's been a week or so since I drove through but they were still working on fences, retaining wall sections on the park side and are still working on the pedestrian overpass.  Perhaps I am wrong but it looked like there was a lot to do with the ramp.

Fingers crossed.

#2164 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:20 AM

once they open the one ramp won't most all of it be done - operationally?  then just some tidying up.

I was under the same impression. All the cement fences along Mckenzie are now done.

Seems like the Mckenzie on ramp, the walk way, little paving here and there and tidy 

#2165 UserofVic

UserofVic
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:24 PM

Interchange.png

I stole this from one of the documents, but I'm really curious how the planned future bus stops will be implemented, specifically the two on the islands. They'll be very much needed for transfers when the Admirals/McKenzie route finally starts service, but where's the crossings going to go? Surface level I assume. It looks easy enough to transfer between the Westshore and Admirals, but transfers to downtown or to McKenzie either require a long walk or those island platforms. The one on Admirals seems ok with the single lane crossing at an existing light, but the northern one on the McKenzie side either has to cross two way traffic or two lanes of on ramp. Obviously crosswalks work ok enough at Helmcken and in most places, but it just seems like they could've been designed for more pedestrian safety since I doubt every driver will always be paying attention when using on and off ramps. People will also sprint and ignore signals if the bus they want shows up before they're at the stop, and it can't always be planned with a double whammy of one bus being late and the other early. Maybe it would've been a large added cost for not much extra safety. Though regardless waiting on one of those islands isn't the most pleasant of transfer points and could lower ridership. Also harder seeing things on paper than in person. Maybe I'm just overly concerned, the fact they have planned stops on both sides of the interchange is good and helps my older fear of someone needing to sprint across the pedestrian bridge to make a transfer if nothing else.

Also if anyone's curious about why one of the McKenzie stops is in place already while the other 3 aren't, it's for the existing 51, Langford/UVic service.

Edited by UserofVic, 12 May 2020 - 04:40 PM.

#2166 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,959 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:35 AM

The ministry said the final touches are still being put in place for the two-lane merge onto Highway 1 from McKenzie, the multi-use pathway over Highway 1 and the McKenzie exit loop ramp.

The completion of transit stops, bus priority lanes, drainage works, plus landscaping and lighting is expected to bring the project to a close in the coming months.

https://www.vicnews....sh-this-summer/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2020 - 05:35 AM.

#2167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,959 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:37 AM

The cross traffic on Mackenzie isn't the problem, it's the left-turning traffic onto Mackenzie that significantly pads the wait for west bound traffic, and during rush hour you have a few vehicles turning left onto Admirals which delays eastbound traffic to some degree. This situation makes the intersection a perfect candidate for an interchange.

and here you are - nearly 11 years later.

please enjoy!

statistics suggest that between when you made that post in 2009 and today about 653 vv members died.  rip to those members that will never see the completion.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 May 2020 - 05:41 AM.

• Mike K. and SimonH like this

#2168 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

They're currently paving the McKenzie -> Admirals lane and have what seems to be the final/permanent lights in place and operating.

• On the Level, Victoria Watcher and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#2169 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

Does anyone have any recent pictures (of the overall interchange, the cloverleaf, etc.)? I no longer live in the area so cannot see it for myself.

Edited by gkz, 26 May 2020 - 07:26 PM.

#2170 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:57 PM

According to a comment in the Facebook group "What the hell just happened?!" they're currently removing the temporary walk way that goes over the highway as i type this

When i drop past couple days ago, they had removed all the offices and look to be creating the Mckenzie off ramp. 

I'm gonna guess and say they're done everything by the end of July maybe even mid July 

• Mike K. and On the Level like this

#2171 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:35 AM

The above few posts just don't jive with what I see when I drive out the highway at night, with the goal of turning off onto McKenzie heading north.

It's a mish-mash of random gravel piles, poor lighting, no effective signage, and a mixed bag of orange cones that seem to move around from place to place from one night to the next.

Driving it almost daily (at night) as I do, I'll predict at this point that it may start to look somewhat complete, with appropriate lighting, effective signage, and cleaned up of random piles of construction debris by November, certainly not before then.

#2172 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,959 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

The multi-use overpass at the new McKenzie Interchange is officially open.

As of June 1, pedestrians and cyclists alike were invited to begin using the bridge which is part of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s $96-million McKenzie Interchange project.

https://www.vicnews....ie-interchange/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 June 2020 - 01:24 PM.

• On the Level and UserofVic like this

#2173 UserofVic

UserofVic
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:46 PM

That bridge looks great. Shame there isn't more pedestrian/cyclist overpasses like going out to the Westshore. Like when they built the Leigh Road Interchange they cut the pedestrian connection between the Florence Lake area and Central Langford when the lights at Spencer road were removed. It's a pretty big gap, and it's good that they didn't make the same mistake for McKenzie at least.

Edited by UserofVic, 06 June 2020 - 05:47 PM.

#2174 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:24 PM

It was a very progressive move to eliminate the light at Spencer Road... too bad they followed that up by putting a new light at the Westshore Parkway.  :rolleyes:

#2175 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:41 PM

The multi-use overpass at the new McKenzie Interchange is officially open.

As of June 1, pedestrians and cyclists alike were invited to begin using the bridge which is part of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s $96-million McKenzie Interchange project.

https://www.vicnews....ie-interchange/

Those prison fences are a nice touch...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2176 UserofVic

UserofVic
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:14 PM

Those prison fences are a nice touch...

They should help prevent suicides, people throwing stuff like rocks into traffic, and any accidental falls though. They have similarly high fences on the already finished Goose Overpass and it kinda makes it feel more comfortable to use. There's a feeling of security that you're not about to fall off and get run over by a semi lol. If this was on the ground yeah they'd be weird and uncomfortable, but on a high place they're nice and secure feeling.

• sebberry and DustMagnet like this

#2177 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:03 PM

Mckenzie off ramp has been paved as of Sunday! 

• Mike K. likes this

#2178 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:59 AM

Any word on when the off ramp will open? It looks close!

#2179 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,959 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:03 AM

march 8:

from sooke and goldstream to victoria city hall:

5:39am   -  15 minutes car

6:00   -  15 minutes car

6:37   -  19 minutes car

6:58   -  23 minutes car

7:30   -  29 minutes car

7:59   -  29 minutes car

july 15:

from sooke and goldstream to victoria city hall:

7:04am   -  15 minutes car

#2180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for that. Road work must have finished yesterday along the Old Highway east of Goldstream, or maybe they start it later in the morning after the brunt of the commute is done.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users