Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#381 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:49 AM

Where is the remaining 1/3rd of the funding coming from if 1/3rd is federal and 1/3rd is provincial? Langford or CRD or ??

33M feds 52.5 BC.  0 from others.

#382 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:50 AM

That covers it all? Great.

#383 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

Public engagement process has begun

http://engage.gov.bc...zieinterchange/

• sebberry likes this

#384 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:51 AM

We will see some conceptual designs on November 17th online and at the open house

http://engage.gov.bc...zieinterchange/

#385 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

Be interesting to see what they do here, given the limited space and challenging topography.

#386 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:47 PM

Be interesting to see what they do here, given the limited space and challenging topography.

Sort of related, but I'd like to see Saanich start a cycle track from the Goose up the hill to Burnside all the way to the bridge over Interurban.  There is lots of open space on the south side of McKenzie, so start filling in the McKenzie bike gaps.  This is the only logical way to get from Esquimalt/View Royal to UVic.

#387 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

Sort of related, but I'd like to see Saanich start a cycle track from the Goose up the hill to Burnside all the way to the bridge over Interurban.  There is lots of open space on the south side of McKenzie, so start filling in the McKenzie bike gaps.  This is the only logical way to get from Esquimalt/View Royal to UVic.

Little confused. There is a connection down from the Goose to Interurban already. Built a protected bike lane along Tillicum from Craigflower and make that the connection.

#388 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:03 PM

If you're at the spot of the proposed 2018 McKenzie interchange and go up the hill to burnside, once you go back down the other side of the hill, McKenzie becomes a bridge over Interurban, continuing to Carey then to the Pat Bay. All this should be eventually added to the bike network, and since there's zero driveways it would be easily to do a sidewalk/bike twin on each side of the road. I was just thinking if saanich is going to use the interchange as an opportunity to add sidewalks to the ~300 metre section of McKenzie from Hwy 1 to Burnside, why not do this section with a cycle track at the same time.

Edited by nagel, 29 October 2015 - 01:03 PM.

#389 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:16 PM

If you're at the spot of the proposed 2018 McKenzie interchange and go up the hill to burnside, once you go back down the other side of the hill, McKenzie becomes a bridge over Interurban, continuing to Carey then to the Pat Bay. All this should be eventually added to the bike network, and since there's zero driveways it would be easily to do a sidewalk/bike twin on each side of the road. I was just thinking if saanich is going to use the interchange as an opportunity to add sidewalks to the ~300 metre section of McKenzie from Hwy 1 to Burnside, why not do this section with a cycle track at the same time.

This section of McKenzie is owned by MoTI, but the sidewalks would be Saanich's. No idea what the scope of this project is going to be, even if will include Burnside Rd. intersection.

The challenge with your plan is that this would only close part of the gap along McKenzie towards UVic. If you are UVic-bound, the Goose and Lochside through to McKenzie/Borden is only 500m longer and a lot faster as you don't have any lights. https://www.google.c...2!4m1!3e1?hl=en

Closing the gap down Tillicum will do a lot more to help people bike to UVic, or figuring out a way around the hill at Borden on McKenzie.

#390 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

What's wrong with the Colquitz river trail? I've biked it, works fine.

This section of McKenzie is owned by MoTI, but the sidewalks would be Saanich's. No idea what the scope of this project is going to be, even if will include Burnside Rd. intersection.

The challenge with your plan is that this would only close part of the gap along McKenzie towards UVic. If you are UVic-bound, the Goose and Lochside through to McKenzie/Borden is only 500m longer and a lot faster as you don't have any lights. https://www.google.c...2!4m1!3e1?hl=en

Closing the gap down Tillicum will do a lot more to help people bike to UVic, or figuring out a way around the hill at Borden on McKenzie.

Plus, even though its 500 m shorter (90 seconds basically for a 20 km/hr commuter), isn't that stretch of McKenzie a hillier ride than just staying on the Goose and Lochside?

#391 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

What's wrong with the Colquitz river trail? I've biked it, works fine.

Plus, even though its 500 m shorter (90 seconds basically for a 20 km/hr commuter), isn't that stretch of McKenzie a hillier ride than just staying on the Goose and Lochside?

Colquitz River trail isn't a good bike commuting route, especially for the volumes that the Goose gets. Too narrow with terrible sightlines. McKenzie is hillier yes, but it does go to all that housing along Christmas Hill.

#392 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

I guess, but the north Glanford/Carey crowd would benefit a lot more from McKenzie bike lanes from Carey to Borden because their reroute from the corner of Glanford and McKenzie to the Goose/Lochside route down Tillicum is almost 2km.

#393 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:47 PM

Colquitz River trail isn't a good bike commuting route, especially for the volumes that the Goose gets. Too narrow with terrible sightlines. McKenzie is hillier yes, but it does go to all that housing along Christmas Hill.

It's excellent with an electric assist bike but I wouldn't want to use it often on 100% human power.

#394 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

The B.C. Minister for Transportation says design plans for the McKenzie interchange will take into account a future rapid bus service.

“We are going to make sure that the McKenzie interchange project allows for the future expansion and inclusion of bus lanes that tie-in with those bus lanes that will exist from the borders of Victoria and through Saanich.”

http://www.cfax1070....ing-bus-lanes-i
http://www.cfax1070....tation-launched
http://tranbc.ca/201...ange-look-like/

Edited by amor de cosmos, 30 October 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#395 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

Capture.PNG

This concept was provided to the Gorge Tillicum Community Association, presumably by the province.

Article: http://www.saanichne.../339594371.html

#396 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

Where is the full sized map??

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#397 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

Presumably we will get more details Nov 17.  This is all I have now.

#398 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

That may be one of the cheapest options, but I think it is still going to have some significant traffic issues as traffic going straight through still needs to stop!

#399 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

Where is the full sized map??

I'm not impressed with this version of the map, except for the flyover heading east onto McKenzie, and the turn from McKenzie onto the highway heading west.

I think the design cannot possibly accommodate all of the options the intersection has now.

There needs to be NO stop lights.

Perhaps there should only be an exit from the highway onto Admirals when you are heading east. McKenzie could go under the highway to connect with Admirals Road.

The Goose could stay the present course by being elevated over McKenzie and under the flyover.

This might mean that some of the secondary roads will need to be improved to give commuters an alternate route to their destination, and these routes would need to be upgraded first to alleviate traffic snarls during construction of the interchange.

There could also be some merit in using the E&N tracks to temporarily move commuters past the bottleneck while the intersection is being built.

#400 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

I think you have to look at all the interactions at that intersection.  It's likely very different at different times of the day.  ie. when traffic is leaving the dockyard, there is not that much traffic coming down McKenzie and going to Esquimalt.  So lights here can adjust to that.

I'm just not sure about am rush.  Seems to me there is lots of traffic coming into town (through the intersection) and also lots coming in from McKenzie and going to dockyard.  And the above plan shows both of them alternating at one light.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users