Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#421 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

I'm concerned about too many lights for McKenzie and Admirals traffic coming to the intersection, but maybe with lights timed right for am and pm it will be less an issue.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#422 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

These are ok, but I'm not ecstatic about any of the options as a driver or as a cyclist.  As a cyclist I would have preferred if admirals/mckenzie traffic was raised and the Goose remained at level.  Switch bridge climbs are hard on less athletic cyclists and on electric batteries.  Oh well.

I'm not a big fan of option 2 as adding all that roadwork just to remove one set of lights for the TCH south to McKenzie traffic.  Not sure it will even improve flow since there's still another set of lights on the east side for this traffic flow.

#423 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

Forgive me if I can't see it clear.  Where does the Goose go on these options?  Up and over on all three?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#424 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

People really, really hate tunnels along public walkways or paths. They attract crime and can be downright intimidating for a lot of people. I think cyclists should be ecstatic that the pathway will be over the road and travel uninterrupted.

The option with the roundabout makes the most sense. Traffic heading onto Admirals off the TCH northbound is light and that light won't be changing very often. And quite honestly there's a lot of traffic turning onto McKenzie off the southbound TCH but it's not a crazy volume, either.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#425 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:48 PM

Forgive me if I can't see it clear.  Where does the Goose go on these options?

All three of them are exactly the same.  A Switch Bridge style overpass over McKenzie and all the turning lanes.  No more car/bike interaction here.

#426 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Forgive me if I can't see it clear.  Where does the Goose go on these options?  Up and over on all three?

Yes. Clearly the intent is to avoid tunnels at all cost.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#427 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

I'm not a big fan of option 2 as adding all that roadwork just to remove one set of lights for the TCH south to McKenzie traffic.  Not sure it will even improve flow since there's still another set of lights on the east side for this traffic flow.

Ya, I think you are right.  Losing that much of the corner of Cuthbert/Homes will not be popular.

#428 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

People really, really hate tunnels along public walkways or paths. They attract crime and can be downright intimidating for a lot of people. I think cyclists should be ecstatic that the pathway will be over the road and travel uninterrupted.

True.  In  a perfect world, they are great as you use the downward grade to get you some torque coming up the other side.  But too dicey for that location.

#429 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

The option with the roundabout makes the most sense. Traffic heading onto Admirals off the TCH northbound is light and that light won't be changing very often. And quite honestly there's a lot of traffic turning onto McKenzie off the southbound TCH but it's not a crazy volume, either.

Yeah I guess you're right about the tunnel.  I certainly don't like the Helmcken one.  I wish there was another way without the big grade climb but unless McKenzie was going to go down into the ground, it's not going to happen.

I'm not a fan of losing the Cuthbert Holmes parking lot for option 2.

#430 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

I prefer option 2 the most.

What is that little over pass to the north? A bike bridge?

• Nparker likes this

#431 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:01 PM

I prefer option 2 the most.

What is that little over pass to the north? A bike bridge?

IMO: the existing pedestrian crossing, with an expanded downramp on the west side and Goose integration on the east side.

#432 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

When are they going to stop with the left hand turns to get onto a highway? All entrances should be right only for proper flow.

• Nparker and LocalMom like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#433 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

When are they going to stop with the left hand friends to get onto a highway? All entrances should be right only for proper flow.

Umm when they don't have room for a full cloverleaf or the volumes don't support their cost?

• lanforod likes this

#434 CedarSam

CedarSam
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

It would be nice to see more than pictures, but actual computer models of what traffic would be like for each option, using current traffic patterns and projected patterns. These photos show almost no traffic which is hardly realistic.

The highway overpass is just like McKenzie and the Pat Bay, and that seems to work really well with heavy traffic. Maybe we don't need the cloverleaf.

#435 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:50 PM

It would be nice to see more than pictures, but actual computer models of what traffic would be like for each option, using current traffic patterns and projected patterns. These photos show almost no traffic which is hardly realistic.

Yes, that would not be too hard to model, you are right.  That would be good to see.

#436 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

There must be some different price tags here too. They allude to these having different impacts and results, but don't specify. Hopefully they add all that information soon. It's hard to provide feedback without that info.

#437 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

The highway overpass is just like McKenzie and the Pat Bay, and that seems to work really well with heavy traffic. Maybe we don't need the cloverleaf.

Pat Bay and McKenzie has a partial cloverleaf. So option 2 would be exactly the same

• Nparker likes this

#438 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:11 PM

Umm when they don't have room for a full cloverleaf or the volumes don't support their cost?

Yeah, see how well that worked for Millstream?
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#439 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

i think I like #1 & #2. less visual obstruction with hwy1 going under mckenzie

#440 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

Yeah, see how well that worked for Millstream?

Millstream wouldn't be so bad with a double left turn. I think that could be done with minimal changes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users