Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1481 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:32 AM

I've noticed over the past month that not only is there not many individual construction workers onsite at any given point in time, but there really isn't very much heavy equipment onsite considering the scale of the project.

The heavy equipment that is onsite definitely isn't the Euclid (now Hitachi) variety of massive dam building equipment you normally see when there's this much earthmoving taking place, rather it's just run of the  mill construction equipment. (think Fort McMurry for the appropriately sized equipment).

There's really no reason other than the contractor trying to make a buck that there isn't 4 or 5 times the manpower and equipment inventory onsite each and every workday.

With the will, this project could easily be wrapped up in half the time (or less) than we're being told it will be wrapped up in.

We are also sort of in between project phases. Phase 1 was preload, prep and the Goose. Phase 2, which was recently awarded, is the actual interchange

#1482 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Any idea when the goose section will be done? I feel like they've had the bridge up for ages and the pathways still aren't paved.

• Danma likes this

#1483 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

pre-loading

I'm not seeing a whole lot of pre-load piles anywhere on the site ... and it's not a particularly wet bit of ground to begin with.

#1484 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

I'm not seeing a whole lot of pre-load piles anywhere on the site ... and it's not a particularly wet bit of ground to begin with.

February 28, 2017

Crews continue to place preload materials to compress soft soils.

http://engage.gov.bc...ous-advisories/

#1485 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

Pre-loading is about a lot more than compressing soft soils - it's equally, if not far more relevant to dealing with water in the soil.

BTW, it's also salient to my original point, in that there are a lot quicker ways to accomplish the same task (vacuum membrane), with pre-load being the time consuming , but inexpensive method.

FYI - http://menardcanada..../menard-vacuum/

Like I said, the multi-year timeline (and incredible inconvenience) is tied directly to the contractor maximizing profit.

Doesn't change anything though, I'm not seeing a lot of pre-load anywhere on the site.

#1486 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

I think it's all been preloaded, but because there was no rain over the summer the soil did not compact, thus the delay in completion. Waiting for rain and settlement.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1487 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:52 AM

I think it's all been preloaded, but because there was no rain over the summer the soil did not compact, thus the delay in completion. Waiting for rain and settlement.

Preloading at the interchange site using vertical drains in March 2017

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=949

post-1196-0-76725500-1489474339.jpg

#1488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:58 AM

I thought they worked nights? I drove down from up-Island at about 8PM last night and there was no activity on-site.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1489 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:55 AM

Most bizarre reason yet given to object to the construction of the interchange:

...they are building an unnecessary berm that intrudes even farther into Cuthbert Holmes Park and on the Colquitz River...their contractors have created a dangerous situation for people in the park. Just take a look at the homeless camps that are a couple of feet from the so-called silt fence. This camp has been there for years...

http://www.timescolo...unts-1.23101694

So now nothing can be built because it might disturb homeless camps? I think this may win the 2017 BANANA* Award.

* Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

• qwerty and Jackerbie like this

#1490 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:35 AM

New photos from Victoria Aerial.

25157910_735896776603108_158248558496095

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1491 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

Amazing what you see from the sky. I had no idea it looked that far along!

#1492 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

Amazing what you see from the sky. I had no idea it looked that far along!

Well some parts are. The entire TCH needs to be lowered by 30 feet and that obviously can’t even start before the reroute through the ramps, which aren’t built either.

#1493 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

Glass half empty guy, eh 😂
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#1494 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

Glass half empty guy, eh 😂

I live right there and I’m not impressed with how little they’ve completed of what was supposed to be a 2 year project. They originally had us on the new goose by last summer. So 9 months off at the very best.

#1495 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

Yeah, there's nobody associated with this project deserving of any kudos based on the project performance to date.

From being so far behind, to their disgusting lack of concern for residents living around the project, this is definitely one of the lamest projects I've witnessed on the South Island.

#1496 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

I live right there and I’m not impressed with how little they’ve completed of what was supposed to be a 2 year project. They originally had us on the new goose by last summer. So 9 months off at the very best.

I don't know why they didn't elevate the ramps on columns for the goose bridge over McKenzie, instead of using a solid foundation with large concrete block facings.

What was the cost of that part of the project?

#1497 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:45 AM

...or simply take  the Goose under the highway through a culvert tunnel at 1/20th (or less) of the cost.

#1498 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

...or simply take  the Goose under the highway through a culvert tunnel at 1/20th (or less) of the cost.

I imagine though, that while initial cost is lower, there are significant maintenance, lighting, cleaning costs and of course ongoing safety concerns that will probably never go away.  Rain and wind "cleans" the exposed part of the trail. 

Quite frankly, I think you'd want a CRD maintenance staffer to look at the tunnel every single day.  The rest of the trail probably gets attention less than once a week.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 December 2017 - 07:32 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1499 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:05 AM

I don't know why they didn't elevate the ramps on columns for the goose bridge over McKenzie, instead of using a solid foundation with large concrete block facings.

What was the cost of that part of the project?

Probably because they needed somewhere to toss all the rock they blasted out.  I have no idea about the cost, or even if they're on budget anymore.  There's been quite the scope creep going on.  Goose was supposed to only be impacted to Grange, and now it's far west of Grange.  There's a lot more tree removal going on as well.

• VicHockeyFan and Coreyburger like this

#1500 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

I imagine though, that while initial cost is lower, there are significant maintenance, lighting, cleaning costs and of course ongoing safety concerns that will probably never go away.  Rain and wind "cleans" the exposed part of the trail. 

Quite frankly, I think you'd want a CRD maintenance staffer to look at the tunnel every single day.  The rest of the trail probably gets attention less than once a week.

There's 3 schools there.  We all know what happens in tunnels.  It wouldn't have taken much to kill such a silly idea.  Also it's policy (although to be honest I forget if it's CRD or MoTI) to have overpasses instead of tunnels for foot/bike travel.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users