Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1501 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

We all know what happens in tunnels.  

Sex?

Drugs?

Rock and Roll?

Danger?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 December 2017 - 08:09 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1502 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:14 AM

People sleeping.

#1503 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

All of the above

#1504 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

There's 3 schools there.  We all know what happens in tunnels.  It wouldn't have taken much to kill such a silly idea.  Also it's policy (although to be honest I forget if it's CRD or MoTI) to have overpasses instead of tunnels for foot/bike travel.

Weird statement to make about schools ... very odd.

Regardless, please explain how that policy describes the foot/bike tunnel currently under the Pat Bay Highway at Royal Oak Mall?

#1505 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

...or simply take  the Goose under the highway through a culvert tunnel at 1/20th (or less) of the cost.

Or keep the TC at the level it is now and the Goose at ground level and run McKenzie through a tunnel under both of them. 

Oh heck I guess it's too late. I might as well wander over to the the swimming pool thread and see if I can make changes there.

• Matt R. likes this

#1506 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

^ That tunnel has been around for decades and it is dodgy. I don't think you'd see any new tunnels like that being built anymore.

• Mike K., Coreyburger, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#1507 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

Or if VHF is still working on the Highlands subdivision city....maybe there too.

#1508 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

Weird statement to make about schools ... very odd.

Regardless, please explain how that policy describes the foot/bike tunnel currently under the Pat Bay Highway at Royal Oak Mall?

A very bad design? In all seriousness, something like that was proposed for the Switch Bridge many years and shot down

#1509 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

Tunnels are fine for bikes and pedestrians ... especially if they save a few million bucks in the process.

Cost matters, and if you have to suck it up and walk through a tunnel ... so be it.

Edited by Cassidy, 13 December 2017 - 11:32 AM.

#1510 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

Tunnels are fine for bikes and pedestrians ... especially if they save a few million bucks in the process.

Cost matters, and if you have to suck it up and walk through a tunnel ... so be it.

Tunnel like the dutch design are fine for walking/biking. Tunnels like North American engineers design aren't. And remember, as much as you might hate it, every government in BC has stated policy to encourage people to bike/walk/take transit. Building good trails is part of that, and that includes better overpasses

• Matt R., shoeflack, 57WestHills and 1 other like this

#1511 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

There's also another reason why they are sending vehicles lower and bikes/peds above.  It greatly helps them meet their sound requirements.  I believe it's 40 db max for schools.  They wouldn't get that if they didn't drop the TCH 30 feet.

#1512 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:54 PM

Driving past here tonight at 8 pm an excavator was placing blasting mats which I'm sure made for a pleasant evening for the people living in the houses alongside!

#1513 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Montreal got rid of some infamous tunnels a decade or so ago, redoing an entire interchange that had been built in the 60s I think. The tunnels were such a magnet for crime and assault that many pedestrians were more comfortable taking their chances walking on the road shoulder than through the pedestrian paths. At least that's the story my architecture prof told in school :)

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1514 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

I don't know if you'd be that much safer up on top of this current 800' "skyway" than you would be in an 800' tunnel., with no way down, and 40 feet up in the air with nobody able to see you.

Seems six of one, half a dozen of the other ... with a 2 million dollar price difference.

#1515 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

An underpass would be totally unfeasible here because the TCH itself is being dropped 30 ft from its current level so the north south pedestrian/bike connection would still have to be an overpass. Then there would be a north south overpass connecting to a theoretical McKenzie underpass. Not even Ryder Hesjedal would want to bike up that type of grade differential. Would be interesting seeing someone in a wheelchair try it. The proposed grades of the actual plan are 2% on the west and 4 on the east. Very manageable.
  • VicHockeyFan, shoeflack and nerka like this

#1516 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

An underpass would be totally unfeasible here because the TCH itself is being dropped 30 ft from its current level so the north south pedestrian/bike connection would still have to be an overpass. Then there would be a north south overpass connecting to a theoretical McKenzie underpass. Not even Ryder Hesjedal would want to bike up that type of grade differential. Would be interesting seeing someone in a wheelchair try it. The proposed grades of the actual plan are 2% on the west and 4 on the east. Very manageable.

But for $2M, Cassidy thinks we could hire Ryder Hesjedal to haul people through for like 18 years.

• shoeflack, nagel and nerka like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1517 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:33 AM

Highway 1 at South Shawnigan Lake Road

272.jpg

#1518 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

The McKenzie Interchange website has an updated PDF showing the interchange plan and lane arrangement. 

https://engage.gov.b...STEDITION-1.pdf

• Daveyboy, On the Level and Mattjvd like this

#1519 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

Am I reading this correctly that North/South Admirals traffic will now have two stop lights? 

#1520 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

Am I reading this correctly that North/South Admirals traffic will now have two stop lights? 

One at each end of the overpass, yes, that's how I understand it. Basically the same arrangement as the other TCH interchanges in Langford (ex. Millstream)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users