Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1601 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

^ Cassidy, I believe this is the news story you're talking about. https://www.saanichn...ptown-exchange/

No idea what the context of this image is, but it is from a 2012 presentation by BC Transit to Victoria and Saanich Councils. That presentation is archived here: https://bctransit.co...s/1403640685819

Capture.PNG

• Mattjvd likes this

#1602 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:01 AM

A bus-only transit crossing has been confirmed at Carey Road.

So... in other words... the interchange really is pushing the traffic problem a mile closer to downtown and not actually solving congestion issues... as expected.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#1603 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:40 AM

Roads aren't the solution to the Crawl, rapid transit is.

All this current construction is going to do is push driving times back to what they were 15 or 20 years ago (if we're lucky).

As for traffic between Mayfair Mall and Tillicum Road, that kind of transition zone from a downtown core to a highway pretty much has to be designed and engineered from scratch in order for traffic not to be backing up further and further into town.

We're working with what we've got, and in effect we're making things worse for cars and drivers by taking lanes away for buses and bikes ... at least in the transition zone that's currently a parking lot from about 3:00pm to around 6:00pm.

As the entire project begins to take shape, I tend to believe that driving times between the downtown core and the Westshore will be reduced ... but not reduced such that the moniker of "Colwood Crawl" will disappear from our local conversations anytime soon.

• bluefox and SgtNeonPanda like this

#1604 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:16 AM

Of course roads are the solution. Too few people want to or can use transit and that won’t change with or without a billion dollar train.

And when you’ve got roads that are too congested from day one obviously the capacity was never adequate to begin with.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1605 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:22 AM

So... in other words... the interchange really is pushing the traffic problem a mile closer to downtown and not actually solving congestion issues... as expected.

unless they add a bunch of routes all that would be using this is the 30/31 meaning at most this light would change once every ten minutes and probably last less than a minute.

#1606 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

unless they add a bunch of routes all that would be using this is the 30/31 meaning at most this light would change once every ten minutes and probably last less than a minute.

So for 6 minutes of every hour, traffic flow is interrupted, leading to hundreds of cars rippling back down Douglas and up to Tillcum being stopped, and ... well, pretty much accomplishing the continued plan for entry into and out of Victoria being made more difficult.

Pretty sure at this point, the city just wants to capture around 100,000 people and have them forced to exist only inside the confines of the city.

#1607 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

Of course roads are the solution. Too few people want to or can use transit and that won’t change with or without a billion dollar train.

And when you’ve got roads that are too congested from day one obviously the capacity was never adequate to begin with.

I didn't say "transit" ... I said "rapid transit".

You know ... like Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal - cities that take transit seriously rather than attempting to force residents onto bicycles or city buses.

Roads most definitely are not the solution to issues like the Crawl.

#1608 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:43 AM

So for 6 minutes of every hour, traffic flow is interrupted, leading to hundreds of cars rippling back down Douglas and up to Tillcum being stopped, and ... well, pretty much accomplishing the continued plan for entry into and out of Victoria being made more difficult.

Pretty sure at this point, the city just wants to capture around 100,000 people and have them forced to exist only inside the confines of the city.

Honestly, unless they are planning to do something about Tillicum too I really don't see this light making anything worse

• rjag and jonny like this

#1609 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:48 AM

You know ... like Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal - cities that take transit seriously rather than attempting to force residents onto bicycles or city buses.

Vancouver has perhaps the worst traffic in North America, but carry on. 

• thundergun likes this

#1610 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

Sheeesh ... I'm not talking about "traffic" ... I'm talking about rapid transit!

Rapid transit makes "travel lives" of the people who choose to take it far better ... it's not designed to make the car and drivers lives better!

Rapid transit between downtown COV and the Westshore would take maybe 10 minutes, and the people who chose to take it would be an hour to an hour and a half ahead of those who chose to try the same route in their cars.

I've lived in Vancouver on multiple ocasions, and like Victoria, if you try to take - say ..... Granville Street at rush hour, you're going to be stuck in a parking lot. However if you take Granville Street at 10:00pm at night, you'll zip from downtown out to the airport in 25 minutes.

My point though is ... if you do the same trip on the Skytrain ... it only takes 25 minutes WHENEVER you choose to go - because it's rapid transit!

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and tedward like this

#1611 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:18 AM

It's up there, but Mexico City, Los Angeles and likely San Francisco are all worse.

#1612 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

That is a garbage stat developed with a garbage methodology - measuring the % difference between free flow and congested. This means that cities with shorter commutes and higher peak congestion will get higher rankings, while a city with all day congestion will get a lower ranking.

• 57WestHills likes this

#1613 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

That is a garbage stat developed with a garbage methodology - measuring the % difference between free flow and congested. This means that cities with shorter commutes and higher peak congestion will get higher rankings, while a city with all day congestion will get a lower ranking.

I said perhaps. I never purported to be presenting any stats, garbage or otherwise.

It's up there, but Mexico City, Los Angeles and likely San Francisco are all worse.

I doubt it's the worst, but it's pretty bad. There is no doubt traffic in Vancouver is bad, despite the city, province and country investing billions into taking rapid transit seriously, as Cassidy put it.

It's been a long time since I got stuck in the Colwood crawl, but it surely pales in comparison to the commutes of the average Greater Vancouverite coming into the city from Delta or Langley. The Colwood Crawl is more or less an average Lions Gate bridge or Massey Tunnel crossing.

That is to say, for a litany of reasons, Greater Victoria is nowhere near the point of investing in some sort of rapid transit line. We're simply too small and our congestion issues are really not that bad [the much more pressing regional transportation issue is the Malahat, IMO].

#1614 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:16 AM

I doubt it's the worst, but it's pretty bad. There is no doubt traffic in Vancouver is bad, despite the city, province and country investing billions into taking rapid transit seriously, as Cassidy put it.

Here is a fun stat: Developers in Vancouver are currently redeveloping multiple private parking garages since the introduction of Canada Line. Vehicles entering the downtown are at 1960s levels, while people entering the downtown is soaring.  Rapid transit (and bike lanes and better land use) work.

#1615 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

I said perhaps. I never purported to be presenting any stats, garbage or otherwise.

It's been a long time since I got stuck in the Colwood crawl, but it surely pales in comparison to the commutes of the average Greater Vancouverite coming into the city from Delta or Langley. The Colwood Crawl is more or less an average Lions Gate bridge or Massey Tunnel crossing.

That is to say, for a litany of reasons, Greater Victoria is nowhere near the point of investing in some sort of rapid transit line. We're simply too small and our congestion issues are really not that bad [the much more pressing regional transportation issue is the Malahat, IMO].

Vancouver is horrible at rush hour for sure. It would be a whole lot worse if it wasn't for its rapid transit though, those trains are packed, shoulder-to-shoulder, and running every 5 minutes during commuting hours.

Thankfully Vancouver has pretty light congestion at off-peak hours (mostly when I'm there). It was a shock to me to be sitting in gridlock on a 5 lane wide highway on a Sunday in LA!

#1616 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

I don't think he quoted a stat, maybe just an expression of opinion (IMHO).
  • jonny likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1617 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:18 AM

I don't think he quoted a stat, maybe just an expression of opinion (IMHO).

Here is a decent article talking about the TomTom stat forms the basis of the "most congested city" and two good takedowns of it

https://www.cbc.ca/n...kings-1.3995206

#1618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

Victoria could build an amazing solution to the Colwood Crawl for $350 million. No need to invest a billion into a transit line that will have a trickle of riders from 930AM-2PM and 7PM-midnight. BC Transit can’t even fill a once-every-20-minutes single floor 50 on Tuesday evenings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1619 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Here is a decent article talking about the TomTom stat forms the basis of the "most congested city" and two good takedowns of it
https://www.cbc.ca/n...kings-1.3995206

Once again. He said "perhaps". Not according to x then z and link to supporting linkage.

You endear yourself to none with your sometime quick protection of your dogma.
  • jonny likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1620 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:52 PM

I didn't say "transit" ... I said "rapid transit".

Roads most definitely are not the solution to issues like the Crawl.

Roads are the solution and also, are exactly what everyone wants. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users