Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1781 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

isn't the hard work moving all the power poles and stuff?  i'm not sure that much blockage of the existing lanes actually happens.

#1782 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:59 PM

During construction of the existing bus lanes, traffic was frequently down to one lane.

#1783 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:08 PM

Oh it was bad from what I recall. I avoided Douglas at all costs.

VW, you didn't notice the mayhem?

• sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1784 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

I never really noticed. anyway it’s good to get it done.

#1785 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:25 PM

I remember a couple days we had to wait through a couple cycles turning left off Saanich because there was no where to go on Douglas. From Finlayson to about halfway between Burnside and Hillside was single lane south and a few days they completely closed the Burnside connection so Gorge and Finlayson became backed up.

#1786 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:25 PM

What is the likelihood of the Burnside Bridges being widened for bus lanes any time soon? The current bus lanes end just before the bridges and they will soon pick up again on the other side with the McKenzie Interchange. It seems weird for it to narrow very briefly to two lanes only to go back to three on the other side, yet it also seems like it would be quite the project to widen them. 

#1787 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

What is the likelihood of the Burnside Bridges being widened for bus lanes any time soon?... 

If the development of the McKenzie interchange is any indication, I'd say the likelihood is low for the immediate future. Perhaps target something for 2029-2033, depending on whether the province thinks this sort of expenditure will garner any votes prior to an election.

#1788 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:33 PM

I think the bus lane announcement puts a pin in any rail line talk.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1789 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

I knew they were narrow, but this narrow? Holy smokes. Another failure of the late 80's TCH expansion.

Burnside-bridges.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1790 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:44 AM

I knew they were narrow, but this narrow? Holy smokes. Another failure of the late 80's TCH expansion..

I could be wrong, but don't the Burnside bridges predate this time frame?

#1791 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

What I mean is, they should have been expanded when the highway improvements were being made. It would have been a relatively simple tack-on back then.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1792 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:50 AM

Agreed, but then again the McKenzie interchange should have been constructed at the time of the TCH expansion as well.

#1793 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

McKenzie Interchange Delayed

‪The McKenzie Interchange will be delayed until summer 2020. The overpass is expected to open by year’s end, although that’s not yet confirmed.

Know it all.

#1794 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

For Immediate Release
2019TRAN0047-000642
April 12, 2019

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

INFORMATION BULLETIN
McKenzie interchange project enters final phase

SAANICH - The second and final construction contract for the McKenzie interchange project is 50% complete, with current work focusing on building the overpass that will allow Highway 1 traffic to travel through the intersection without stopping.

Once completed, the project will save commuters travelling from the downtown core to the western communities an estimated 20 minutes.

Due to unforeseen factors, including challenging weather and ground conditions, the completion timeline has shifted.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure anticipates removing the traffic lights on Highway 1 by this upcoming winter. The entire project, including the loop ramp, landscaping and transit facilities, is now expected to finish by summer 2020.

During construction this past winter, crews encountered significant weather events on the South Island, including heavy snow fall.

Recently, the ministry also discovered highly variable rock while digging under the existing intersection. As a result of the discovery, modifications were made to the overall design of the interchange's new centre pier. This pier will hold the bridge that will in future carry east and westbound traffic over the intersection.

As well, adjusted construction schedules to lessen both traffic and noise impacts have affected the overall project schedule.

The ministry apologises for any inconvenience that this delay will cause and continues to work closely with the contractor on-site to deliver the project as soon as possible.

Know it all.

#1795 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:35 AM

I call bullshit on this.

Living only a few blocks away, day after day for months now I've seen the very minimal number of actual workers on the site, and the very minimal amount of heavy equipment on the site.

The February snow melted within a week, and the winter otherwise was a typical mild Victoria winter ... far milder than normal in January.

This delay is due to gross mismanagement and lack of resources, be they money, people, expertise, or equipment.

How on earth does a project get delayed by a year due to less than a week of light snow? ... Ridiculous.

#1796 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

I guess you didn't read the parts where they said they have adjusted the schedule to minimize noise and they came across more complicated ground conditions than expected which necessitated redesigning the centre pier. 

#1797 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:06 AM

Like the region itself, once the snow appears the analysis grinds to a halt.

#1798 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

I guess you didn't read the parts where they said they have adjusted the schedule to minimize noise and they came across more complicated ground conditions than expected which necessitated redesigning the centre pier. 

The people who live around there are my neighbors, and I can assure you there was NO noise mitigation that actually resulted in any reduction in noise ... so the premise that this contributed to adding a year to the project is grossly misplaced.

Changes in ground conditions? ... give me a break.

Make the required adjustments to the design and the ground work and move on ... it doesn't take a year, and it won't be anything that major road building projects in B.C. haven't run into in the past.

This has been a low priority project for the B.C. Gov't from day #1, understaffed, underfunded and under-engineered.

#1799 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:37 AM

I call bullshit on this.

Living only a few blocks away, day after day for months now I've seen the very minimal number of actual workers on the site, and the very minimal amount of heavy equipment on the site.

The February snow melted within a week, and the winter otherwise was a typical mild Victoria winter ... far milder than normal in January.

This delay is due to gross mismanagement and lack of resources, be they money, people, expertise, or equipment.

Not quite.

This February was the coldest in about a decade and sub-zero temperatures were common until late into the month.

Construction is not just limited to the construction site. And certain construction activities require warmer weather, particularly work involving any sort of paving or asphalt.

You also need to take into consideration that a planned concrete pour for, say, February 12th that does not go ahead, is pushed back until another time, and when the delays affect multiple construction sites the scheduling can be heavily impacted.

Nobody is building this thing over a longer period of time because they want to.

Know it all.

#1800 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

Nobody is building this thing over a longer period of time because they want to.

Pretty sure I said January was mild, while acknowledging that it snowed in February.

If you buy into a week of snow, and a few weeks of cold weather pushing a project behind schedule by a full year, that's definitely your prerogative.

I on the other hand, look at the site every day, and see maybe a dozen workers, and plenty of days when not a single piece of heavy equipment moves.

This project is on nobody's priority list.

Not delayed by a year because they want to ... but because "they" simply couldn't care less.

I've watched massive construction projects up to and including B.C. Hydro dam building that were 30-40 times larger, and finished in a quarter the time relative to the projects total size.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users