Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#1801 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:00 AM

Prior to the release the anticipated full project completion was late 2019, early 2020. Now it's mid-2020. The overpass will open to traffic by early 2020, so four-to-six months behind schedule (it was scheduled for late summer, early fall). The cloverleaf will open in mid-2020 and that will complete the project.

So it's not being pushed back by a year. It's being pushed back by four-to-six months.

The region had snow up until early March. Like I said before, it's not just what happens at the construction site that is taken into consideration and cold weather has lingering effects that can rapidly cause a cascading effect. But the delay here is not just weather-related.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1802 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:35 AM

This is just how infrastructure is done in this region. It's all the drugs
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#1803 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:13 AM

So it's not being pushed back by a year. It's being pushed back by four-to-six months.

Indeed, but the project was already pushed back once prior to this current push back (the "noise mitigation" push back).

So in total, from the originally planned completion date (which was 2018) it's way over a year late ... so "yeah", it's pushed back by "a year".

#1804 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:16 AM

it’s 20 years overdue. and it’s being built in such a way that traffic disruptions are pretty minimal really considering what they are building. if it’s a bit late so be it.
  • rjag likes this

#1805 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:32 AM

Not getting off this easy, Cassidy. You specifically said February’s cold weather pushed it back by a year. D’oh!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1806 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

Not getting off this easy, Cassidy. You specifically said February’s cold weather pushed it back by a year. D’oh!

I'll be more precise with my word assembly in future Mike, thus minimizing your opportunities to say "gotcha!!" :)

#1807 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:11 AM

Fair!

I don’t mind the project taking longer, but I do appreciate the frustration of those who are living near it. The disruption has been huge. I do think though they once built property values will appreciate accordingly.

Know it all.

#1808 satellite

satellite
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

The last project update on their website is from October. Any updates on completion timing?

#1809 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:18 PM

From Mikes post on April 12th - the website seems not to include the relevant press release updates:

For Immediate Release
2019TRAN0047-000642
April 12, 2019
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
INFORMATION BULLETIN
McKenzie interchange project enters final phase
SAANICH - The second and final construction contract for the McKenzie interchange project is 50% complete, with current work focusing on building the overpass that will allow Highway 1 traffic to travel through the intersection without stopping.

Once completed, the project will save commuters travelling from the downtown core to the western communities an estimated 20 minutes.

Due to unforeseen factors, including challenging weather and ground conditions, the completion timeline has shifted.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure anticipates removing the traffic lights on Highway 1 by this upcoming winter. The entire project, including the loop ramp, landscaping and transit facilities, is now expected to finish by summer 2020.

During construction this past winter, crews encountered significant weather events on the South Island, including heavy snow fall.

Recently, the ministry also discovered highly variable rock while digging under the existing intersection. As a result of the discovery, modifications were made to the overall design of the interchange's new centre pier. This pier will hold the bridge that will in future carry east and westbound traffic over the intersection.

As well, adjusted construction schedules to lessen both traffic and noise impacts have affected the overall project schedule.

The ministry apologises for any inconvenience that this delay will cause and continues to work closely with the contractor on-site to deliver the project as soon as possible. 

#1810 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:01 PM

The McKenzie interchange project will be at least $11 million over budget due to design changes, weather delays and other setbacks, the B.C. government confirmed Tuesday.

The budget update comes after the Transportation Ministry announced in April that the project was six months behind schedule.

https://www.timescol...ting-1.23860172

#1811 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:52 PM

Forget cost overruns (boring!) - look at that picture accompanying the article...  Not only does it mislabel the temporary pedestrian overpass as the Galloping Goose (that's on the other side of the highway) but the signage on the overpass indicates cyclists are to dismount when crossing, something the scofflaws pictured are obviously not doing.  I'm almost embarrassed to have ridden my bicycle today inasmuch as I would be associated with such wanton rule-breakers.

#1812 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

😳 and yet in another thread you point out the indignity of people parking incorrectly at a Canadian Tire.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 18 June 2019 - 08:14 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1813 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

and yet in another thread you point out the indignity of people parking incorrectly at a Canadian Tire.

Indignity?  All I did was point out that the YD advice and/or plastic bollards would avoid the issue.  What indignity?

Can't I have fun pointing out journalistic errors and taking the piss out of the bicycle haters?

#1814 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:58 PM

Can't I have fun pointing out journalistic errors and taking the piss out of the bicycle haters?

For the entertainment of the 5% of the population that uses the bike lanes sure!

For the record, I like the bike lanes, just not the illusion that they are more than they are.

For the record record.....I like Canadian Tire.....

For the record record record....where is Nparkers off topic thread post!

• Love the rock likes this

#1815 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

NParker has left the building.
  • On the Level likes this

#1816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:22 AM

For the entertainment of the 5% of the population that uses the bike lanes sure!

2.5% :)

Know it all.

#1817 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:17 AM

NParker has left the building.

Careful leaving the parking lot!

• Kungsberg likes this

#1818 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:12 PM

Concrete beams for McKenzie interchange set for installation this weekend

https://www.goldstre...n-this-weekend/

No lane closures are expected, according to B.C.’s Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, but motorists will see “the usual” delays tied to the project.

Progress...

EDIT: Wait, are the "usual delays tied to the project" traffic delays or project delays?  ;)

Edited by DustMagnet, 19 July 2019 - 04:13 PM.

#1819 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:19 PM

Does it really matter? There were delays before and during the project.

Trying to prove some kind of point?

I would rather additional delay because of removing gridlock then continued gridlock.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1820 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

Does it really matter? There were delays before and during the project.

Trying to prove some kind of point?

I would rather additional delay because of removing gridlock then continued gridlock.

Trying to make a joke out of the choice of wording in the press release but I guess you've just answered Maximus' question with a resounding, "No!"

https://www.youtube....h?v=Of_jyeDZ3Sg

Edited by DustMagnet, 19 July 2019 - 05:08 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users