#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

http://www.ctv.ca/se...0101?hub=Canada

The Canadian Press

Date: Friday Jan. 1, 2010 10:05 AM ET

WINNIPEG — Ever dreamed of having your name immortalized on a parking meter? How about on a city bus ticket or a heart defibrillator in the back of an ambulance?

Winnipeg is banking on a few takers.

I have absolutely no issues with this, provided they follow the same rules that private business must follow. Would anyone care if the Crystal Pool was called the Ford Aquatic Centre?

#2 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

In this case, not an issue - both Fords and the Crystal Pool fall apart.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

^^Only in that it would "cheapen the brand", the brand being the City. The arena I don't have a problem with because it's already a commercial entertainment complex. Would anyone really like to see the Thrifty Foods Greater Victoria Public Library? Are we really that desperate?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

^^Only in that it would "cheapen the brand", the brand being the City. The arena I don't have a problem with because it's already a commercial entertainment complex. Would anyone really like to see the Thrifty Foods Greater Victoria Public Library? Are we really that desperate?

How about the Bolen Books Victoria Public Library? You like the book you borrowed? Now you can BUY it on the spot!

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

I suppose there is precedent here. Until the 80s the downtown library was in a building built and prominently labeled as a gift from Andrew Carnegie.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

I suppose there is precedent here. Until the 80s the downtown library was in a building built and prominently labeled as a gift from Andrew Carnegie.

We should send Nellie McClung's realtives a bill.

#7 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

Vancouver Island Brewery Urinal.

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

^ :D
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

Vancouver Island Brewery Urinal.

I suppose an example of a Closed-Loop Supply Chain would be to bottle the accumulations and sell it as Miller Lite.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

Corporate sponsorship, naming rights of city services suggested as revenue source

Municipalities look for ways to raise cash without taxation

http://www.timescolo...0869/story.html

By Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
January 6, 2010 6:25 AM

[...]

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

http://www.sponsorwinnipeg.ca/

The City of Winnipeg operates over 1600 vehicles that can help promote your company brand name. Also, transit services offers a number of unique marketing opportunities to promote your business to thousands of citizens, each and every day.

Sponsorship/Naming Rights Opportunities:

New Wireless Heart Defibrillators for ambulances for Advanced Care Paramedics
Specialty Vehicles – New multi stretcher ambulance
New portable command centre police vehicle
Police helicopter
1300 Encrypted Memory Sticks for use in police cruisers.

Everybody seen this, BTW?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Naming Rights... Dignity but not much cash...

A really mixed up article. Methinks the key question here is the one that nobody mentions: What sort of signage would the sponsor be allowed to put up? That's where the value would be, right?

If we're talking about a large corporate name/logo over the Douglas Street entrance to the conference centre then we're effectively talking about a billboard on Douglas Street in the heart of downtown. How much would that be worth?

The staff report echoes the findings of a UVic geography professor, Reuben Rose-Redwood, whose research leads him to believe council has been "perhaps a bit over-optimistic" - a nice way of saying that there's little money in, say, Crown Royal Athletic Park.

Indeed, Rose-Redwood thinks so little of the idea that he has launched an online petition against it.

"By viewing public place names strictly in terms of their cash value, this sends a message to residents and visitors alike that the symbolic identity of the city is up for sale," it states.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1tdlR6HaS

#13 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

If we're talking about a large corporate name/logo over the Douglas Street entrance to the conference centre then we're effectively talking about a billboard on Douglas Street in the heart of downtown.

That certainly would put a damper on our claim of being more British than Britain. Imagine, a billboard in Picadilly Circus!? Heavens!!! :squint:

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

We should do a poll. I have to admit, I would have no problem with something like "CIBC Stadium at Royal Athletic Park".

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

If you could sell naming rights for City Hall...

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Sponsorship/Naming Rights Opportunities:

New Wireless Heart Defibrillators for ambulances for Advanced Care Paramedics

I can see the TC story now:

"Despite being underwater for nearly twelve minutes, paramedics managed to revive Mr. West using the Bin 4 Burger Lounge defibrillators. Mr. West is expected to make a full recovery and the fountain at The Falls condo will re-open later this week."

#17 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

Don't ever die on us Holden!

My opinion is that the money raised from selling naming rights is usually not enough to justify doing it. It also cheapens our society and culture. When something is named it should keep that name for it's lifetime. GM Place now being called Rogers Arena is stupid IMO.

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

My opinion is that the money raised from selling naming rights is usually not enough to justify doing it. It also cheapens our society and culture. When something is named it should keep that name for it's lifetime. GM Place now being called Rogers Arena is stupid IMO.

Right, like the Victoria Conference Center identifies that yep, it's in Victoria. If it was called the Jimmy Pat Get-together Complex, it could be anywhere.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

Stupid, in your opinion, but how does it affect you, spiritually, emotionally, physically, or economically?

I'm guessing zero. And that's a private building on private property, receiving no tax breaks or subsidies. They can do what they want. They choose to maximize revenues. Too bad governments never think they should do the same.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

I agree with Dylan to a certain respect. While naming is okay in my opinion the fact that it could change is ridiculous. Things should be names once. I mean if it was no longer the Lions Gate Bridge but the Home Depot Bridge or no longer the EMpire State Building but the Bank of America building.

I don't know landmarks should keep the same name. It should be written into the building permits in the future.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users