Naming rights for government facilities and processes

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

I agree with Dylan to a certain respect. While naming is okay in my opinion the fact that it could change is ridiculous. Things should be names once. I mean if it was no longer the Lions Gate Bridge but the Home Depot Bridge or no longer the EMpire State Building but the Bank of America building.

I don't know landmarks should keep the same name. It should be written into the building permits in the future.

So it would still be Enron Field? (and not Minute Maid Park?)

I kind of wish we would have proper competition for phone, internet and cable services, so the companies would not have the extra cash for every building in this country to be named Shaw, Bell, Rogers and Telus. Instead we'd have lower monthly bills. Or if we had more than two airlines (Air Canada Centre).
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

If we're worried about permanence and continuity, that's why I don't mind names like "Telus Stadium at Royal Athletic Park". The "Royal Athletic Park" part is permanent. The sponsorship aspect isn't. They sort of did that with the new arena's name. It's the "Memorial Centre", sponsored by...

I think they made a mistake when they ditched "Skydome". The building is Skydome. The current sponsor is...

The notion of sponsoring the bridge is dead right out of the gate, methinks. Formal names for bridges often don't stick, so I'd be very surprised if a sponsor's name ever managed to stick enough to justify whatever fee the sponsor paid. Most people would still call it the Johnson Street Bridge.

But then again, I suppose it all comes down to the signage that the sponsor is allowed to put up.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

I personally think that Enron Field would be a pretty good reminder of some of the things to look out for. Actually seems like a bit of revisionism.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I personally think that Enron Field would be a pretty good reminder of some of the things to look out for...

And gawd knows it sounds a helluva lot better than Minute Maid Park, but then again we're talking Texas...not the brightest (lone) star in the sky. :drillsergeant:

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

The notion of sponsoring the bridge is dead right out of the gate, methinks. Formal names for bridges often don't stick,

How about "Ryder Romp"?

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

http://www.timescolo...centre-1.107540

The City of Victoria is preparing to sell naming rights for the Victoria Conference Centre.

How much the city hopes to charge hasn’t been revealed.

Previous high-profile naming rights contracts in the region include the $1.25-million, 10-year deal that Jim Pattison struck to have his Save-on-Foods grocery brand attached to Victoria’s arena and Bear Mountain Resort’s $250,000 for a 10-year deal at the West Shore rink that bears its name.

Hmmmm, so Bear Mountain must be up very soon, right?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

Maybe they can use some of the money to glass over that convention centre courtyard permanently instead of having that temporary thing there most of the time.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

The present name Victoria Conference Centre works just fine, and it has a history of immediately identifing where the heck it is located.

Why change it to some bogus name just to earn a few bucks for the dwindling city coffers?

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

The present name Victoria Conference Centre works just fine, and it has a history of immediately identifing where the heck it is located.

Why change it to some bogus name just to earn a few bucks for the dwindling city coffers?

Why not.

I've got another idea. The highest bidder can be the first person to cross the Craigflower, and JS bridges.

Or three people, each. First car, first pedestrian, first cyclist.

No wait, first skateboarder (is that allowed?), first stroller, first unicycler, first fisherman/woman off the Craigflower bridge. First truck, first motorcycle. First boat under the raised JSB.

I think we can raise $50k. More if it's for charity.

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

That's a great idea.

#31 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

Why not.

I've got another idea... first fisherman/woman off the Craigflower bridge.

They could jump together, but it is not quite high enough to serve the purpose.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

If we're worried about permanence and continuity, that's why I don't mind names like "Telus Stadium at Royal Athletic Park". The "Royal Athletic Park" part is permanent. The sponsorship aspect isn't. They sort of did that with the new arena's name. It's the "Memorial Centre", sponsored by...

I think they made a mistake when they ditched "Skydome". The building is Skydome. The current sponsor is...

The notion of sponsoring the bridge is dead right out of the gate, methinks. Formal names for bridges often don't stick, so I'd be very surprised if a sponsor's name ever managed to stick enough to justify whatever fee the sponsor paid. Most people would still call it the Johnson Street Bridge.

But then again, I suppose it all comes down to the signage that the sponsor is allowed to put up.

The Victoria Highlanders are pleased to hear of the announcement of Sports Traders Diamond at Royal Athletic Park.  This partnership represents a great opportunity for the City of Victoria's premier sports franchises at Royal Athletic Park to increase revenue and further solidify a future of providing Victoria with great sporting products.  

The City of Victoria should be commended for their cooperation with it's sport franchise tenants, and this cooperation has allowed the Victoria Highlanders to secure an official pitch partner for the all Highlanders soccer games at Royal Athletic Park.  The details of this partnership will be announced in the coming weeks.

For more information, please feel free to contact me directly.

Yours in Soccer,
Mark

-- 

Mark deFrias

General Manager | Victoria Highlanders FC

#33 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

Reading Jack Knox is a great way to start almost any day.

The Victoria Conference Centre was deemed the only one worth putting on the market. (So much for my brilliant suggestions: Crown Royal Athletic Park, Crystal Light Pool, the Johnson & Johnson Street Bridge.) The city hopes talks with potential sponsors of the convention facility will conclude by September, after which it will be up to council to decide whether to go ahead with a new name (personal favourite: Victoria’s Secret Conference Centre).

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.gHivLVYW.dpuf

Edited by Nparker, 31 July 2016 - 07:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users