Beaver Lake General Store

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

The store is on the Saanich heritage registry but not designated as heritage.

I am surprised the building is not fully designated heritage, if forms a core part of the this old rural commercial centre.

#2 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

The store is on the Saanich heritage registry but not designated as heritage.

I am surprised the building is not fully designated heritage, if forms a core part of the this old rural commercial centre.

The store closed quite some time ago. Now it sits empty.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

Anything good in that free box?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 MAPearce

MAPearce
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear the Hitching Post is "No More".They made the best sandwiches about ten years ago.I can't say that there is any "heritage value" in that building though.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:21 PM

Unlike some downtown heritage, I think any historic value is not merely the facade, but the building in its entirety. This ain't the Janion building. I'd prefer to see the building stay (is there a shortage of developable property?), but can't see the reasoning behind keeping the remnants of the facade.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:31 PM

Cool photos from Saanich Archives taken in the late 80s:

1979:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users