Photo

Oak Bay Lodge - Replace or Refurbish?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

I find it hard to believe that the Oak Bay lodge has outlived its usefulness as an assisted living facility.

The building is of concrete and brick construction and can easily be renovated one floor at a time to extend indefinitely its important role in the care of our aging seniors.

VIHA plans to replace Oak Bay and Mt Tolmie lodges with a new facility.
The location and date for completion is still undetermined.

Our lodge seniors deserve more consideration, because in many cases they are no longer able to personally plead their case on the matter. Their home is currently up for sale

Vancouver Island Health Authority will address Oak Bay Council Jan 11 about the closure of Oak Bay lodge.
  • Bingo likes this

#2 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:42 AM

I find it hard to believe that the Oak Bay lodge has outlived its usefulness as an assisted living facility.

The building is of concrete and brick construction and can easily be renovated one floor at a time to extend indefinitely its important role in the care of our aging seniors.

VIHA plans to replace Oak Bay and Mt Tolmie lodges with a new facility.
The location and date for completion is still undetermined.

Our lodge seniors deserve more consideration, because in many cases they are no longer able to personally plead their case on the matter. Their home is currently up for sale

Vancouver Island Health Authority will address Oak Bay Council Jan 11 about the closure of Oak Bay lodge.

I'm glad to see you've completed an engineered report on the condition of the OB Lodge to classify you're decision!

Lets face it some of the most well built brick and concrete buildings have shortcomings years after completion and must be replaced or extensively renovated. I would venture to guess that the cost analysis that has been done puts replacement at a better value for the dollar the renovation. Renovation isn't always the cheapest and best method to achieve value for the dollar. Please provide such a study before making such a broad and blanketing statement to the structural condition of any building. Keep in mind much of the OB Lodge is exposed concrete w/very lil protection added and if it wasn't sealed and poured correctly on original construction will require quite a bit of remediation.

#3 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:21 AM

I'm glad to see you've completed an engineered report on the condition of the OB Lodge to classify you're decision!...

...Please provide such a study before making such a broad and blanketing statement to the structural condition of any building.

You may well be right, but is this necessary? We get it, you're in construction and Bingo's not. No need to be a dick about it. :rolleyes:

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

I'm glad to see you've completed an engineered report on the condition of the OB Lodge to classify you're decision!

Lets face it some of the most well built brick and concrete buildings have shortcomings years after completion and must be replaced or extensively renovated. I would venture to guess that the cost analysis that has been done puts replacement at a better value for the dollar the renovation. Renovation isn't always the cheapest and best method to achieve value for the dollar. Please provide such a study before making such a broad and blanketing statement to the structural condition of any building. Keep in mind much of the OB Lodge is exposed concrete w/very lil protection added and if it wasn't sealed and poured correctly on original construction will require quite a bit of remediation.

I don't believe you need an engineering report to make common sense observations. For instance, I have never heard of the building leaking like some of the other stuff that has been built around Victoria.

I do have a personal interest in the building because I have a family member living there.

If the older and aging Hudson Bay building can be renovated into condominiums, then it stands to reason that developers already have their eye on the prime location of the Oak Bay Lodge. I doubt if they would knock it down, but would rather refurbish it into luxury condominiums.

That move would be a failure to provide for the increase in the senior population that will be in need of more assisted living accomodation in the next 15 years, not less.
  • Bingo likes this

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

BC has had an on going problem with healthcare planning since the government nationalized all of the non-profits that operated the various facilities in the mid 1990s.

The current structure we have in BC is about as unaccountable as could be designed. Government ministers have direct control over what happens in healthcare and at best can use the position they are in to make the different health authorities go in a direction that they want.

#6 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Speaking of oak bay lodge, there was a fire there yesterday morning that resulted in a death

Senior dies after setting herself on fire at Oak Bay Lodge

Care homes to take flammable materials away from residents

BY KATIE DEROSA, TIMES COLONISTJANUARY 10, 2010 9:42 PM

VIHA is investigating an accidental death in one of its residential-care homes after an elderly woman set herself on fire while lighting a candle early Saturday morning.

Staff at the Oak Bay Lodge on Cadboro Bay Road rushed to the television room around 2:10 a.m. when they heard a woman screaming for help, Vancouver Island Health Authority spokesman Stephen May said.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

^Awful...so sad.

It also wants them to post signs warning people to exercise caution when using flammable items, he said.

Probably a good idea but I believe that if you make it to ripe old age in one piece you probably don't require reminders like this.

OBL was only renovated in 2001.

OBL's other claim to fame was when NDP MLA Steve Orcherton was defeated. He quit politics and his next job was dishwasher at the Lodge.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Just FYI, the OB Lodge site is currently zoned for institutional use, not residential and any councillor stupid enough to vote to rezone it would very probably lose the next election.

#9 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

I don't trust Howard Waldner, he never gives a straight answer to anything.

#10 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

Just FYI, the OB Lodge site is currently zoned for institutional use, not residential and any councillor stupid enough to vote to rezone it would very probably lose the next election.

Corey, you must admit though that we have some pretty stupid councillors in OB.:mad:

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

Saanich Council unanimously passed a motion to send a message to the Vancouver Island Health Authority objecting to the sale of the Mt Tolmie hospital site.

VIHA is currently seeking buyers for the 71 bed Mt. Tolmie site, as well as the 247 bed Oak Bay Lodge.

http://www.bclocalne...s/86252802.html
  • Bingo likes this

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

The CRD has announced a deal to take ownership of Oak Bay Lodge from Island Health when the facility closes in 2019.

A news release explains the Capital Regional Hospital District has identified an interest in using the site for the benefit of the community, and the CRD will now work with Oak Bay council to advance ideas and proposals over the coming years.

Oak Bay Lodge was constructed in 1972 as a private retirement facility. It was then converted into a long-term care facility in the early 1980's.

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:26 PM

A news release explains the Capital Regional Hospital District has identified an interest in using the site for the benefit of the community, and the CRD will now work with Oak Bay council to advance ideas and proposals over the coming years.

I strongly suggest this facility be used as a "lowest-of-the-low" barrier homeless shelter, where active drug use is not only allowed but encouraged. It would also be a great site for Oak Bay's first medicinal marijuana dispensary (and grow-op).

• rjag likes this

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

I strongly suggest this facility be used as a "lowest-of-the-low" barrier homeless shelter, where active drug use is not only allowed but encouraged. It would also be a great site for Oak Bay's first medicinal marijuana dispensary (and grow-op).

How do you know the folks are not already using drugs.

• todd likes this

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:37 PM

How do you know the folks are not already using drugs.

Hence my suggestion that drug use be encouraged at this new facility. A built-in customer base for the onsite grow-op too. Win-win all around!

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

Hence my suggestion that drug use be encouraged at this new facility. A built-in customer base for the onsite grow-op too. Win-win all around!

Maybe Nickell Bros can move the building into Victoria to help ease the lack of vacancy rate

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

Maybe Nickell Bros can move the building into Victoria to help ease the lack of vacancy rate

I am sure, given their more than generous nature and the availability of this structure, the residents of Oak Bay will be eager to host some of Victoria's...ahem..."finest".

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:50 PM

Tweed's western Canada grow facility! We all know the tweed curtains made of hemp.

Edited by todd, 26 April 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#19 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

as a resident of Oak Bay, I am in complete agreement with this idea!

Being that Oak Bay doesn't want seniors care housing then this is what should be 2nd choice

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#20 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

The nearby residences would be begging for the old proposal.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users