[Vic West] BMW / Mini dealership | Built - completed in 2012

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

I don't understand why the driver of this truck has to block a lane of Esquimalt Road (and a bicycle lane) to unload his vehicles. City of Victoria taxpayers have spent copious amounts of money improving/changing infrastructure, then along comes this fellow who decides that road safety need not apply.

You'd think that the driver would prefer to use Tyee Road, which is quiet, wide and is more than capable of handling a large truck without impeding traffic, endangering cyclists or himself. But no, he insists on using Esquimalt.

BMW-auto-delivery-blocking-lane.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:03 PM

I've seen countless delivery drivers like Canada Post, UPS, etc... as well as HandyDart operators park in bike lanes. 

That's what happens when ideologists take over and remove parking and loading zones for bicycles...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#123 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

Overflow car storage - what could possibly go wrong?   :huh:

26308987006_b4ef750cfc_h.jpg

I have heard from a Promontory neighbor that the BMW dealership has bought this property.  It makes sense on several fronts, not the least of which is close-by overflow storage and the potential to deal with car deliveries from semi-trucks.  In one of the JSB diagrams they seemed to indicate the painted island would eventually become a "real" island.  If that's the case then no more car unloads in the painted island, which also happens frequently.  Given that they were using this for car storage recently is another clue.

Can anyone confirm?

Edited by Gary H, 04 June 2016 - 03:24 PM.

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:24 PM

Oh oh, that is going to be quite the kink in Gateway Green's plans if BMW intends to use that property for vehicle storage. At least with the other proposal it had envisioned a neat office building.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

I dunno, maybe they shouldn't have built a dealership there if they wouldn't be able to offload vehicles properly.  Bike lane in this instance viewed as an inconvenience whose purpose can be ignored.  If everyone took that viewpoint, well, there would be no bike lanes, people could park in them.. like above.  But you know, we're all hypocrites, and the rules are for everyone else, and we all have our special reasons for ignoring ones that don't work for us.  Maybe it's ok to let dogs wander freely, camp on public property, speed, text while driving.. 

#126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:32 AM

...Maybe it's ok to let dogs wander freely, camp on public property, speed, text while driving.. 

Has the Cody incident taught us nothing? (http://vancouverisla...ngs-1.2906689) Surely no one would let their canine wander free, camp on public property or text while driving. Then again, I think most dogs are smarter than this.

Edited by Nparker, 05 June 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#127 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

I dunno, maybe they shouldn't have built a dealership there if they wouldn't be able to offload vehicles properly.  Bike lane in this instance viewed as an inconvenience whose purpose can be ignored.  If everyone took that viewpoint, well, there would be no bike lanes, people could park in them.. like above.  But you know, we're all hypocrites, and the rules are for everyone else, and we all have our special reasons for ignoring ones that don't work for us.  Maybe it's ok to let dogs wander freely, camp on public property, speed, text while driving..

I've seen those transport trucks stop in the two-way left turn lanes to unload; in regular car lanes; bike lanes, etc...

The only reason this is an "issue" is because it's in a bike lane and then all hell breaks loose.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

I think it's an issue whenever transport trucks block lanes. If you can't safely park your vehicle where you're not impeding traffic, you don't park.

GFS food supply trucks regularly block turning lanes or outright block traffic and there seems to be no repercussions.

Remember when we took armoured cars to task and pointed out the infractions to Commissionaires? Maybe it's time to help the City once again enforce it's own traffic rules.

Know it all.

#129 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

I've seen those transport trucks stop in the two-way left turn lanes to unload; i

I've seen that too, and thought, WTF?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#130 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

I think it's an issue whenever transport trucks block lanes. If you can't safely park your vehicle where you're not impeding traffic, you don't park.

GFS food supply trucks regularly block turning lanes or outright block traffic and there seems to be no repercussions.

It's not the delivery driver's fault that formerly accessible locations have been replaced with bike lanes. This is simply one of the repercussions of our council's anti-car agenda.

#131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

The industry can take it up with council, but them being inconvenienced should not affect the safety of other road users.

Know it all.

#132 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

How many injuries have we had as a result of a delivery truck being parked partially blocking a lane? 

Drivers can respond to the inconvenience appropriately.  Slow down, yield, pass safely yada yada...

#133 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:19 PM

The industry can take it up with council, but them being inconvenienced should not affect the safety of other road users.

I would have thought when a car dealer applies to rezone the space etc., they would submit a plan to show how deliveries would be made.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#134 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

It's not the delivery driver's fault that formerly accessible locations have been replaced with bike lanes. This is simply one of the repercussions of our council's anti-car agenda.

This dealership has 1/4 ha of parking lot. They can find a space to unload on their own property.

#135 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

You could say the same thing for any business that receives deliveries of goods. 

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#136 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

This dealership has 1/4 ha of parking lot. They can find a space to unload on their own property.

Sure, but do they have the space to move a transport truck into and around the lot? I don't think so.

Until UPS, Canada Post, HandyDart, Sysco Foods, GFS, etc... are all using compact vans that fit into a standard parking space, we'll have these occasional issues. I have to drive around them, you have to bike around them. It's a minor inconvenience associated with living in a city of businesses that receive goods for sale.

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:14 PM

In the case of the BMW dealership, yes, they have enough room for a truck to unload on their property. At worst it would require moving several vehicles on their lot to accommodate a truck.

Esquimalt Road is not the road to be unloading vehicles from a truck when Tyee Road is far more suited. These truckers are choosing the paths of least resistance regardless of common sense and safety of other motorists.

• VicHockeyFan and JanionGuy like this

Know it all.

#138 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

^I guess if you do it often enough and nothing happens it gets normalized.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#139 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

^I guess if you do it often enough and nothing happens it gets normalized.

"si nihil satis saepe fit normalis" The moto of tent city.

#140 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

I'm sure backing a huge rig into that lot wouldn't impede anyone at all on Esq road.

• sebberry likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users