• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

I was losing sleep over this one.

gg,

If you lived in OB you would just have some hot Ovaltine and z-z-z-z with no worries.

#42 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

I love Oak Bay. The village and the lovely homes. It's beautiful this time of year.

#43 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

In the vein of bylaws and ridiculous enforcement, did you happen to see the news item about a girl in Montreal who was fined $625 for putting her backback on a bench seat as she waited for a bus. It was 2:30 in the morning, or thereabouts and no one else was around to use the bench.

Talk about laws you can pull out of your back pocket if want to get back at somebody!
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

In the vein of bylaws and ridiculous enforcement, did you happen to see the news item about a girl in Montreal who was fined $625 for putting her backback on a bench seat as she waited for a bus. It was 2:30 in the morning, or thereabouts and no one else was around to use the bench.

Talk about laws you can pull out of your back pocket if want to get back at somebody!

Link to source?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#45 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

It was on CBC radio on either Thursday or Friday

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

Link to source?

http://news.sympatic...c=abc&date=True

#47 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

http://news.sympatic...c=abc&date=True

Thanks for posting the link, I never think to do that as I am just recalling something I saw.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#48 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

A perfect example of why my signature at SSP is "overly legislated, overly regulated and overly taxed". We need more laws, government and taxes like we need more salmonella.
In chains by Keynes

#49 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Aren't the Tinto Street Rocks sacred?

They should be protected.

#50 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

So the Tinto Rocks got a conclusion tonight at council: adding back some smaller rocks on a portion, adding 4 parking stalls, a new path, and leaving large parts of it without any rocks (just grass).

Interestingly, to continue the trend, Oak Bay council also did something about homelessness at tonight's council: they approved the CRD bylaw to allow CRD Housing to borrow up to $25 million (this after BC Housing is throwing them into the deep end financially).

#51 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

So the Tinto Rocks got a conclusion tonight at council: adding back some smaller rocks on a portion, adding 4 parking stalls, a new path, and leaving large parts of it without any rocks (just grass).

Interestingly, to continue the trend, Oak Bay council also did something about homelessness at tonight's council: they approved the CRD bylaw to allow CRD Housing to borrow up to $25 million (this after BC Housing is throwing them into the deep end financially).

but will they allow public housing to be built in Oak Bay? How about a couple of homeless shelters? How about allowing secondary suites? How about encouraging a gas station in Oak Bay?

Oak Bay is not a real community, it is enclave turning its back on its responsibilities and letting others pay for their lifestyle.

#52 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

but will they allow public housing to be built in Oak Bay? How about a couple of homeless shelters? How about allowing secondary suites? How about encouraging a gas station in Oak Bay?

Oak Bay is not a real community, it is enclave turning its back on its responsibilities and letting others pay for their lifestyle.

Doesn't Oak Bay have a gas station?

And as much as I hate to say it, I think Oak Bay has dealt with the homeless problem by simply not accommodating it. But with that said, if the Pandora Green population decided to camp out on the grass in front of the Oak Bay municipal hall they wouldn't have a leg to stand on to kick them out.

We can call out for homeless shelters all we want - Our Place has been a huge success.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#53 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

Where would the public housing be built then?
Or does government have the right to expropriate peoples' homes?
Secondary suites are on the way, people indicated they wanted them in a survey.
Where would a gas station be built?

#54 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:01 AM

Where would the public housing be built then?

Somewhere where neighbors will tolerate a Pandora Green type scenario.

Secondary suites are on the way, people indicated they wanted them in a survey.

This can't pollibly take all that long..

"Hey, Jenkin's, you know that survey where people said they want secondary suites.. go and change that drop-down list on the computer to say "Legal". Got it? Great, done. Now let's move those rocks".

That took what, 20 seconds?

Where would a gas station be built?

I guess the Shell Station isn't in Oak Bay? Is the border Foul Bay Road?

Do they even need a gas station with the Shell right there?

#55 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

The gas station is in Victoria. I highlight the issue because of the stupid local government boundaries we have and how a government like Oak Bay is not real community or neighbourhood in this region.

Does Oak Bay need a gas station? Probably not, but then there is no need for the idea of Oak Bay as a government.

As to public housing, local government should seek out the neighbourhood that is least like the problem areas and build it there. It would better for us if the homeless and drug addicts were integrated into the areas where the richest people live. Both sides would benefit from the experience. Ideally I would like to see a 50-100 bed shelter in the Uplands with a shuttle from downtown to bring people to it every night.

Getting back to those rocks, the very fact that Oak Bay has so little to do that it can spend time discussing rocks highlights the reason Oak Bay needs to be amalgamated into Victoria now.

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

As to public housing, local government should seek out the neighbourhood that is least like the problem areas and build it there. It would better for us if the homeless and drug addicts were integrated into the areas where the richest people live. Both sides would benefit from the experience. Ideally I would like to see a 50-100 bed shelter in the Uplands with a shuttle from downtown to bring people to it every night.

Yes, the addicts will have an endless supply of expensive things to steal and sell for pennies on the dollar to feed their crack addictions, and the residents will have an endless supply of noise, violence and all that colourful stuff.

I don't see how it benefits anyone. And I don't see you calling for a homeless shelter to be built next door to your place ;)

#57 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:58 PM

Yes, the addicts will have an endless supply of expensive things to steal and sell for pennies on the dollar to feed their crack addictions, and the residents will have an endless supply of noise, violence and all that colourful stuff.

I don't see how it benefits anyone. And I don't see you calling for a homeless shelter to be built next door to your place ;)

I have them in my neighbourhood and I lose a lot of stuff to petty theft.

By putting it into the Uplands, you will get a lot more people interested in figuring out how to solve the problem. You will also get homeless people meeting people doing better than average.

Also, given the density of the Uplands, a lot fewer people would be impacted by something like the Ellice Street Shelter.

#58 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Again, exactly where would a homeless shelter be built in OB? I haven't heard any answers other than "should".

I'm not being personal here but if some people don't know the Shell station is not in OB many people may well not know that OB is pretty-fully built out and has been for a long time. There are a few vacant lots the owners have no intention of selling, two I know of are being held for children/grandchildren. Its not a question of owners tolerating anything, there is no land.

There are rental apartment buildings east of Foul Bay Rd. above Cadboro Bay Rd. but would taxpayers be willing to pay the asking prices from the owners? They are well-kept, profitable buildings generating long-term returns from good tenants so its doubtful owners would want to sell.

Uplands School has a huge playing field doing nothing.... but its owned by SD61. UVic has large swaths of vacant land along the south side of campus. But its UVic land, not OB's though its within the OB boundary. Build where in Uplands? And no doubt charge fares for the shuttle? Maybe pigs will grow wings after all!
Homeless people living in Uplands would not meet ant residents any more than the rest of us. Drive through it, its like a Potemkin Village; nobody on the streets, no interaction anywhere because nobody walks anywhere. They drive into the garage and are never seen outside their back garden. And what would they talk about? The bond market? I generalize but you can catch my drift.

As for a "Pandora Green", well OB has parks but the street people have not migrated to them yet though they could have bused or walked or pushed each other in shopping carts. Too far from downtown, no "buzz", poor panhandling opportunities and so forth. So far they have not camped out on the front lawn of Muni Hall (see above).

So, are you advocating expropriation? That is a very slippery slope.

As for secondary suites, let's be clear it was a survey not a referendum. Many do not favour LEGAL suites because they know nosey officials will be coming around in full powertrip-mode and their assessments/taxes will only go up more than they now do.

#59 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

I have them in my neighbourhood and I lose a lot of stuff to petty theft.

By putting it into the Uplands, you will get a lot more people interested in figuring out how to solve the problem. You will also get homeless people meeting people doing better than average.

Also, given the density of the Uplands, a lot fewer people would be impacted by something like the Ellice Street Shelter.

Oh, so you're saying that this shouldn't be an oak bay problem, you're saying this should be the responsibility of a select few and randomly chosen residents of Oak Bay.

#60 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Why Oak Bay and not Esquimalt?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users